Just Made Some New Gel Food....

daryl

OH MAN, does it STINK!!!! I threw in some growth food that was sent to me as a sample. It looked like really good stuff, but was floating pellets, so I threw it in the mix.

My kitchen reeks..... ewwwwwwhhhh...

How can the fish eat that stuff?????

:sick

And don't they just love it!

I made a batch about 3 weeks ago and the apartment was rank for days. The fish loved it though so that's all that matters.

:Scoff::Scoff:

Imake it all the time - I like to keep some around all the time.

I have a very loose recipe - it consists of whatever is fresh from the garden or found in the produce section of the grocery. I throw in excess food or tuna or bloodworms or krill or whatever I have in that respect....I used some seafood flakes this time, too.

I toss in about 1/2 cup peas, 1/2 cup mixed veggies (lettuces, broccoli, spinach, etc.) Blanch them briefly in boiling water. Whir them up in the food processor with about 1/2 cup of the water from the cooking.

I stir 2 packets of gel into 1/2 cup warm water. Add the veggies and stir. I like to pour it into a plastic lined glass pan and when it is set, cut it into cubes. The cubes are set individually on a tray in the freezer for about 1/2 hour, then, when they are solid, I stick them in a quart freezer bag.

Thaw out the number of cubes you want and you have gel food!

The fish, do indeed, go crazy for it! :D

Was that floating growth food from Hai Feng, Daryl? Tiny green little pellets?

Yup - called "Medium Floating Pellets" There are some green ones in there and mostly brownish green ones. It supposedly has 42% protien. Since my fish do not have to deal with cold, I thought I would toss it in the gel food and give it a go.

:)

I finally succeeded in making some the right way the other night too. The fish love it, and I love the fact that since it's full of peas, I don't have to worry about de-skinning those little buggers anymore! :)

Yeah - well Sterling has a really great habit - he eats the food and spits out the pea shells. They float around and look awful in the tank until I go and fish them out.

Messy fishy! :rolleyes:

Guest stephanied6

Hi just wondering , I went to the pet store for bloodworms and it says it's for tropical fish, can I still give that to gf's? I want to make a gel recepie and dont know wich would be better for my fishies, could someone give me a good recepie please & thanks? Flake food seems to constipate them & would like to try something new.

The bloodworms from the store will work fine for the goldies. I like to put them in gel food because they are so little that my big bruisers cannot find them to eat them. The bloodworms just end up in the filter adding waste.

How about a half packet frozen bloodworms, some spiriliana flakes (if you have them), (seafood flakes if you have them, or any floating flakes you want to get rid of so you no longer have floating food, etc), about a half cup of broccoli, spinach, peas, collard greens, dandylion leaves - veggies of that nature.

You will want to blanch the veggies in a pot of boiling water - a couple of minutes will do the trick, unless they are frozen. Frozen veggies are already blanched, so you can just thaw them out.

Whir them up in a blender or food processor with about 1/2 cup of the water they were blanched in (save the vitamins).

In another bowl, stir 2 packets of unflavored geletin into about 1/2 cup cool to warm water. Add this to the veggies when dissolved. Put the mixture into a pan and let solidify in the fridge. I cut it in cubes and freeze it. It thaws quickly and I feed this to the fish every evening.

A gel food recipe is pretty much toss in what ever you have that is fresh and yummy - I go heavy on the greens.

If you use shrimp and carrots and other color ingredients you will help enhance the red color of your fish. :)

Look here for other recipes....

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...?showtopic=2269

What a little stinker that Sterling is!!!

Koko had me use some baby food in my recipe instead of water, so I used baby peas and some squash. I've only fed it a couple times so far, but they seem to really enjoy it. I also added tuna, baby shrimp, spinach, a red bell pepper, ProGold, some flake food that I had for whatever reason, some dog vitamins, a kiwi, krill, and other stuff that I can't think of right now.

It certainly is fun! It is a good excuse to clean out the refrigerator and to clean up the rows of veggies in the garden where there are not quite enough to make a dinner or put up! The goldies love it! :D

Yes they do! And I agree, it's nice to kind of "get rid" of some stuff in the fridge! (Or fish food that I wouldn't normally feed, like flakes!). I was amazed at how much vigor they have when eating it. Makes me feel kinda bad that I haven't fed them gel food until now.

It is the jello type gelatin...just unflavored. I bought my last box right there with the jellos though. And I also use baby food veggies(peas, spinach, squash,etc.) and I mixed the gelatin up into that instead of water and it mixes alot easier for me. Then I added just a little water. I also threw in about 4 different fish foods and a can of tuna.

My fish love it....although having to explain to the lady at the grocery checkout (who knows my "babies" are 7 & 11) why I buy baby food is kinda tricky! :rofl

Sarah, I put the tuna into the blender as well, yes. I use canned tuna, rinse it off to get rid of any salts they might have put in, and toss it into the blender with the other stuff. Of course, I can't have it stand around too long, or the cats will eat it. They sit next to that blender and guard it with their life - must be the good smell! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived