What Can Go In A 5 Gallon Eclipse?

*whew* I was worried this would turn into a debate. I just want to say that the only tropical fish I've kept are bettas, black neon tetras, and a honey gourami. The honey gourami didn't make it past quarentine, but I'd like to try again. I'm also interested in the dwarf otocinclus. Sandtiger, can you pm me some info about detailed care about these guys? I've been finding some conflicting info on the net.

Ghost shrimp have very very little ammonia output, so you could add a few of these guys to the 5 gallon with whatever you decide on. I don't think most fish small enough to fit in a 5 gallon will bother them with the exception of some bettas.

Nope, no need for a debate. We can eatch have our own opinion. I still think all the fish I listed would work fine in a 5g but it's ok to disagree, as long as its backed up with more detailed info.

I would PM you about the otocinclus but for some reason I am not allowed to PM anyone, or use the Off Topic section. Anyway, I currently have only one dwarf oto that I have had for three years. I have had others in the past though. They are most sensitive when they are fresh from the LFS where they are often underfed and not cared for well. The first few weeks are the hardest to keep them but after that I find them rather hardy. Like other loricariids they will feed on algae wafers, zucchini, cucumber, spinach and romaine lettuce. They will also eat algae, especially soft green algae so an established tank with a good algae population would be a great suprise for a newly introduced oto.

Anyway, if you want more information check out this site.

http://www.otocinclus.com/

ooh, i'll disagree then. don't take in personal, i just enjoy disagreeing with people. in fact, i'll disagree with kissy as well that debate is a bad thing. healthy debate creates the flow of information. if nobody argued with what someone else said, the world would still be flat and at the center of the universe. :lol:

ok. i'll give ya the white clouds, the rosy reds, the pygmy suns (since i don't anything about them), and of course the betta.

gouramis, unlike a male betta of equal size, would like a friend in the tank. i think that's just too much fish for a five gallon.

cory's like a large school. yea, you could keep one by itself, but we're aiming for ideal here. :) i know that a lot of people here have kept goldfish in bowls, but you'll never here any of them recomending it.

i have seen a lot of different "requirements" for ottos as far as minimum tank size, there is a wide range. that wide range i have never seen dip less than 10 gallons for a small group.

and tetras, as i said above, just aren't great fish to cycle a tank with. they most likely won't make it. if you can steal biomedia from another tank, by all means.

and i'd like to iterate that i'm not saying you couldn't keep any of these wonderful fish in a five gallon, we all know of people that have done a lot worse. heck, i've heard of balas and irridescents in 5 gallons. just that there are some fish that would do better than others in a tank with limited open swimming rom. oh yea, and of course, anyone may disagree w/ me as well ;)

oh yea, and if it were me, i'd go against my own advice w/ 3 pygmy corys (like i could ever find any around here) w/ sandy substrate, river rocks, and tiny plants that reach halfway up the water column. then maybe two male guppys for some color at the top. i'd also buy more of the sponge inserts that come with your filter and have two in there at all times, more place for biobugs to grow.

sorry for the long post. :D

just keep in mind if they need a heater or not ( there are very small heaters sold for this size tank ). Tetras and any of the small schooling fish would not be good. I think the betta would be the best bet and he would definitely interact with you and love that place on the counter ! If you have a lot of plants I hope your filtration system is good enough to not demand total water changes . Guppies are cute, they may need heat though. Around 3 males would be pretty.

A crowntail betta though... perfect!

gouramis, unlike a male betta of equal size, would like a friend in the tank.? i think that's just too much fish for a five gallon.

What are you baseing this on? Are you saying a lone dwarf gourami would be unhappy?

cory's like a large school.? yea, you could keep one by itself, but we're aiming for ideal here.? :) ? i know that a lot of people here have kept goldfish in bowls, but you'll never here any of them recomending it.

I never recommended corys, I only suggested one species...the pygmy cory.

i have seen a lot of different "requirements" for ottos as far as minimum tank size, there is a wide range.? that wide range i have never seen dip less than 10 gallons for a small group.

These sources recommend 5g.

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Otocinclus_affinis.html

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.c...&view_records=1

http://species.fishindex.com/species_127ot...otocinclus.html

And I am sure there are others. Seems like there are quite a few sites that say a 5g will work. Not only that but I have personal experiance in doing it. I'm not saying your sources are wrong but I am not about to say that mine are or forget to mention my personal experiance in the matter.

and tetras, as i said above, just aren't great fish to cycle a tank with.? they most likely won't make it.?  if you can steal biomedia from another tank, by all means.

I never suggested tetras for cycleing a tank. In fact, I am not a fan of cycling a tank with fish at all, I cycle my tanks the fishless way. So in a cycled 5g tank I think 1" glowlights will work just fine. I never promote putting anytihng in an un-cycled tank.

:) that was fun. i brought it on myself. if i may 'explain' some of my original thoughts on this matter..

i've read that gourami's do better w/ companions. i got a pair a while ago, and they were always together. when one of them died, the other just hung around one of the plants til he died as well. yes, at 3 1/2 years they were getting on in age, but the one didn't act the same after it's buddy died. no, i'm not saying that a lone gourami would be un-happy in your tank, i'm sure it'd be fine and would live a long happy life. what i am saying is if ur gonna get a gourami, why not do a male betta, which we know prefers not to be kept with a friend, and tend to be a little hardier.

pygmy means smaller, not that they've bred out it's natural desire to feel safe in a good sized schoal of it's own kind (say 6). if you see at the bottom though, i'd still put 3 or so pygmy corys in my five gallon, because i know i could keep up w/ the water params, and 3 makes an alright size group if their tankmates are peaceful. though to be honest, i've never been in the situation of deciding what to do with a five gallon.

ok, personal experience in my opinion trumps what books and websites say. i've never kept otos in a 5 gallon. i was unaware you had personal experience in doing so, so i was defering to the books. if you say they do good in there, i'll take your word for it and admit defeat on the ottos issue :)

i'm glad to see we at least agree on the absolute necessity of fishless cycling. some people don't have the patience to do it though, so i always say that tetras should go in a mature tank; since pet stores won't. my brother got a five gallon, but didn't like the idea of waiting while we ran a filter for him on my tank, much less fishless cycling by himself. so he went through a couple neon tetras the petstore sent him home with the same day he bought the tank, sadly, before he asked for help.

so, we've both gotten to express our views and our reasoning. and i've gotten a chance to correct myself to say exactly what i meant, thank you for that. so now we just leave it up to the owner of the tank instead of turning this lovely debate into bantering argument. ;)

unless of course you've got more info to add for the good of the forum.

and so that i don't make the 'otto' mistake when we do this again, maybe a quick introduction in the new members forum is in order? :)

I realized one more thing with the betta vs dwarf gourami: mass. Yes, they both reach a length of two to three inches. However, with the betta, this is mostly just tail. Same for the height. Also, the body shape of a betta is shaped like a slightly flattened finger, while the body of a healthy dwarf gourami is wider, taller, and longer.

In general, more mass= more waste and the need for more swimming room.

so :P thanks once again kissy ;)

:lol: j/k

Hey, did somebody forget about this post? I want to know what she ever decided on.

[edit]And kissy, you're so right on the body shape; but couldn't you come up with a better image than a smushed human finger swiming around an aquarium?? :D

A smashed finger? LoL My little guy doesn't look like a smashed finger swimming around my tank! LoL :P Hmm, but I can't think of anything else to describe him... LoL Nothing I can think of makes it sound good either :P

Hmm, how about one of those dead-bolt locks... the spot on the inside you turn to lock it... LoL ? That still sounds odd to see swimming around the tank also though :P

I still havent decided yet. Im cycling the tank first before I put anything in it. I have been tempted a few times when I went to the LFS, but I would much rather it be cycled before I put new fish in it. The cycle is coming along nicely.. Suprisingly, as ive never fully gotten anything smaller then a 10 gallon cycled.

Good idea to start cycling :) I'm sure whatever you choose will be suitable and fun! I've heard that cycling tanks smaller than 10 gallons can be a little challenging but nothing patience and dilligence can't cure. If your goldfish (or other tanks if you have them) are stably cycled and healthy, you can just hook the 5 gallon filter on to it for 2-3 weeks to seed from the big tank. Just move the filter back to the 5 gallon once you buy your fish. This might be an easier route, as well as quicker and less work and testing.

I just have to say thats an adorable photo of your boy in your signature :heart Thomas, right?

Good luck with the cycle! My 5 gallon cycled in just shy of a month, which isn't bad I guess. My betta's 10 gallon took just over 2 months, but my guppy 10 gallon took only 2 weeks o.0

That certainly is thomas there in my siggi. LOL, he was digging around in our closet one day, and I come in the bedroom, and hes jumping on the bed with daddy's old cowboy hat on. It was just too cute!

Just to help the cycle along, I took gravel, water and filter media from my big tank. Its really helped jump start things :D but hooking the filter up to the goldie tank is a really good idea. I never even thought about doing that.

Im just soooo excited! I cant wait to go and get my new fish when the tank is cycled!

That certainly is thomas there in my siggi. LOL, he was digging around in our closet one day, and I come in the bedroom, and hes jumping on the bed with daddy's old cowboy hat on. It was just too cute!

Just to help the cycle along, I took gravel, water and filter media from my big tank. Its really helped jump start things :D but hooking the filter up to the goldie tank is a really good idea. I never even thought about doing that.

Im just soooo excited! I cant wait to go and get my new fish when the tank is cycled!

Archived