Need Help With My New Pearscale Goldfish

jdesio

Hi. I just got a new pearscale and just recently I have been noticing clear bubbles growing on both sides of his body. I am not sure what they are. Here is some information about my tank.

Ammonia,Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph Level are all normal. (Tested with test strips.)

Tank size: 10 gallons.

Aqua-Teck filter for 10 gallon tank.

Water changing: Before I knew of this website, I was told that I only needed to wait 24 hours before adding any fish to a new tank. So I did, but then the water started to get cloudy after a day. I found this website and started reading about water cycling. So for the past six days, I have been swapping 1 gallon in the tank with another gallon of water that has sat overnight and has been treated with Aqua Safe. The water is still cloudy.

There is only the one pearscale in the tank.

I have only been adding Tetra Aqua Safe to new water.

No medication has been added to the tank.

No new fish have been added to the tank.

I feed my fish TetraFin Goldfish Flakes and occasionly peas.

Nothing else strange happening with the fish. He is still eating and swimming around.

Here is the best picture I could get of him.

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~jdesio/Theodore.JPG

I can't tell much from the picture but if it's tiny little bubbles and they are on the fish, plants, tank, everything then that is ok. That happens when the water is full of supersaturated gasses. My betta tank does that when I do a water change on him. As the gasses evaporate the bubbles will dissapear. Someone else might have a better idea tho... That's just what came to mind for me. :D

Hi and welcome.

thank you for posting your information it is helpful. But if you could post the exact numbers of the water is also required.

I do see that you use test strips and those are good, but can be inacurate so posting them for us is best.

While mentioning that I would recommend to use drops tests especially when cycling a tank, you need to know exactly where those levels are daily.

Now If you could get us a better pic that would help so much. For this could be nothing or something serious.

How is the fish acting?

Is there a airstone in the tank?

edit: oops! Posted same time as Laurie!

Hi and Welcome!

Can you please give us the exact numbers of your ammo, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH readings from the test strips? That will greatly help us. Although you do mention they are in the "normal" range, what may be "normal" to the test strip may not be "normal" for the fish.

And how long, exactly, has this tank been set up?

It's hard to tell where these bubbles are in your picture. Any chance you can get a clearer picture, or edit it with pointers showing us where these "bubbles" are?

Here are the exact test results from the strips.

Ammonia: Ideal 0 ppm

Nitrate: Safe 0 ppm

Nitrite: Safe 0 ppm

Total Hardness: Soft 75 ppm

Total Alkalinity: Moderate 80 ppm

pH: 7.0 Neutral ppm

There is an airstone in the tank and he seems to be fine. He is eating and swimming around.

**I just picked him up to take a better picture (which is still too blurry to see anything) and when I put him back, I noticed that the bubbles look deflated. They look like they popped.

Do you think these are "air bubbles" on the fish or do they look more like blisters?

I do see your tank isn't cycled are you aware of this?

Sorry about taking so long to update.

The bubbles on vmlola's fish look exactly like the bubbles on my pearscale. So I went to my local fish store and picked up some melafix and epsom salt. I have not added the epsom salt to the fish tank yet because I was told to wait until after the melafix treatment was done. Today is the fifth day of treatment. I only have two more days left. I also slowly raised the temperature of the water to 80 degrees.

My pearscale seems to be doing a lot better. The bubbles on one side are completley gone. There is only one left on the other side.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

oh wow that is quite odd. Im so glad you have it under control! Your fish is very pretty by the way. Is it a chocolate pearlscale? I cant tell for sure from the photo (maybe its orange?) but Ive never seen a choco pearlie before. :)

Hi, thought I would chime in here as your thread caught my attention because my Bubba went through this.

Oh, wheres my manners? A big :welcome:) !

I did not know what was wrong with Bubba as the blister were not affecting how Bubba acted but I was quick to post on here for help.

Sandy was a blessing as she quickly got me treating Bubba for dropsey.

Bubba was never sick acting it was just an occasional water blister on a scale. But I ran the full treatment and Bubba is now a spoiled, fat pearlscale and acts like she always did.

I saw your post the other day and of course it got me thinking that maybe this is something that pearlscales get. I never thought to contact the goldfish breeder that I got my two crown pearls from when Bubba popped up with the blisters but I did after reading your post.

The breeder wrote back and told me that he has pearlscale that get these blisters and that they never affect the fish nor has he lost one to whatever it is that causes them. I had a friend, who is also a vet, come over and look at Bubba when she had one of the blisters and she said she had read where pearls can get water type blisters on their scales. So who knows exactly what the cause is, she did not think it was dropsey, but I did not stop treatment until 14 days were up.

Hope this helps! Again welcome to this fantastic place. :exactly

Thanks vmlola! That makes me feel a lot better. Yeah, I don't really think that anything is wrong with Theodore. He has been eating and acting normally, just like your Bubba. But just in case, I am going to finish out the melafix treatment.

Thanks again!!!

• 6 months later...
Guest gFishOnTheBrAiN

Hi All!

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but it's about the exact issue I'm having with my pearlscale.

Moira is active, eating, dorsal fin always at full mast - completely oblivious to her weird "blisters". All the water params are as they should be (the tank is 29 gal. and approximately 2 years old). But the blisters have appeared every day for the last two weeks, with some growing, busting, reforming or being joined by new ones. She doesnt seem bothered, but it's still unattractive and a bit worrisome. I wonder if she's got some mild, underlying issue or low-grade infection of some sort.

The blister fluid is clear and nothing is visible in it up to 900x.

The tank is at room temp - about 73-75. Any ideas if maintaining a higher temp might help? Salt doesn't seem to have any affect. She's in a tank with a fantail who shows no signs of any abnormality.

Thanks!

~ Tre

:) Hi, I saw this thread and remembered it from a few months ago. I had this issue with my Crown Pearlscale. The blisters came and went for a couple of months. I did treat Bubba with a two week course of Metro-Med food. I'm not sure what causes this but it does seem to be an issue with some pearlies. I contacted the breeder I got Bubba from and he informed me that he has the same problem on occassion with some of his pearls and that it goes away and he has not loss a fish from it.

I did not notice a difference with running a heater in the tank and salt did not matter as well.

Sorry I can not be of more help. I will tell you that Bubba is one of my best fish and has not had any problem with it since.

Good luck and :welcome !

When I first got my golfball pearlscales, one had some red patches so I added salt to the water. She immediately came out in dozens of little blisters all over. My conclusion was that this was an osmoregulation issue where the pressure simply forces bodily fluid out against the insufficiently permeable membrane between the scales. So rather than the fluid passing through the membrane as it should, it builds up instead. Sort of like how balloons swells up in a vacuum. This could only be happening with pearlscales because of the odd scales not being able to do the job of normal scales properly, ie hold the fish together like our own skin does!

The remedy was simply to reduce the salt (and/or hardness) to reduce the osmotic pressure of the water (fluids move to higher salt) and thus keep the bodily fluids back in the fish where they belong!

The other possibility is just the water depth pressure itself. Golfball pearscales in Malaysia (where they come from) are kept in ponds no deeper than 8-10 inches of water. There is clearly some legitimate reason they have for using such shallow ponds, but I'm just guessing this may be it.

PS. One pearlscale was more susceptible to the blistering than the other, so it seems to depend on the individual fish. Another possible factor was that the 'pearl' shape of their scales were sightly different too (so they probably weren't related either).

Guest gFishOnTheBrAiN

vmlola - Thanks so much for checking in. I was wondering how Bubba was doing, and your input is very reassuring.

awrieger - Very interesting ideas. I didn't mention this because I thought I was being paranoid, but after I added the salt to the tank, it seemed to exacerbate the blisters. I'm going to copy this thread, including your response, and keep it on hand. I've been thinking about getting a longer tank - mine is approx. 16" deep - just for increased surface area, but your thoughts give me another reason to go ahead with the longer & shorter tank. Thanks!

~ Tre

We should have a special forum for pearlscales :) ! I have three and this has been an interesting read...I remember awrieger mentioning about the salt theory with pearls before and I think there may be a lot of truth in that. It makes sense. I have also noticed that my pearls spend much more time swimming in the top half of the tank and i too have wondered if this is their preferred water depth. I have also seen the blistering and eventual flattening of some pearls and wish there was a way to protect them more.

Guest gFishOnTheBrAiN

I don't have enough posts under my belt to PM anyone on this thread, so I'm posting to suggest that a few of us get together and put together a research paper for the "Research Submissions" forum. It could examine issues unique to Pearlscales, including the blister issue and explanatory theories.

Let me know what you all think!

~ Tre

I'm in. But...don't know if you can do joint research subs I think it's just one person :blink: . Why don't you make a start and after you've got some ideas you could post the bare bones as a new thread that people could add their ideas to what you have...or even better you do some surveys directed at pearlscale owners and get feedback to base the research on- now that would be very interesting :D !

Guest gFishOnTheBrAiN

Good idea, Trinket. I think I'll be using some of the ideas in this thread as a jumping-off point - if no one minds!

~ Tre

• 1 month later...
Guest mintibix

Hello,

I am new to this forum but i was panicing over some mysterious blisters that appeared towards the back of my pearlscale 'Frodo' and around his eyes. I had read all the forums on dropsy but the pitcures just didnt seem like the same problem as he isnt bloated, pine coned or behaving any differently.

I had just finished treating my other pearlscale 'Samwise' for what looked like whitespot and this seems to have been sucessful. *touchwood* I suspect having read the salt theory that this treatment may have sparked off the reaction in Frodo.

I think i will leave him be for a while, just do a regular water change and test the levels.

I agreee there should be a thread just for these beautiful, happy, little round fish!

Thankyou for such a helpful thread :)

Archived