Those "bad" Ranchu... Hehehe...

Ranchugirl

I bought 6 fish alltogether at the show 2 weeks ago, and all of them are in a 75 gl quarantine tank. Among the group are 4 ranchu, and they had been chasing each other like crazy. At first they followed the new telescope around, but since I don't want any mutt fry, I put the telescope into a floating container. Then the ranchu continued chasing each other, with the other fish not interested in the slightest.

A few hours later I noticed some eggs on the plants, and I bet most of them were already eaten. So I took the plant out and have it separate now. Not all the eggs have hatched, and I am now the proud owner of at least 7 ranchu fry! :happydance They are 4 days old now, and gobbling up the hatched brine shrimp like there is no tomorrow. Funny to watch as their empty stomachs turn into that pink coloration after they ate! :rofl

Of course, my camera isn't good enough to capture fish that little, so that just has to wait. The adult ranchu are 2 black ones, one red and one calico one. So we'll see how the young ones turn out! Never a dull moment at my house... :rofl3

Update on the little buggers: They have grown nicely, and are now roughly 9 days old. Some already can manage frozen daphnia, but they definetely favor the live brine shrimp hatchlings.

On top of that, my hubby's koi decided to spawn, and now I got a lot of koi fry in a tub outside. Hard to estimate how much there are, since I still have the spawning mop in, and a lot of them are hanging out there. Two days old they are, and hungry. Brine shrimp hatchery is going in full throttle, with 4 bottles "cooking". I have given up counting those guys, an estimate would be roughly 100 - give or take a few... :rofl3

Whatever they turn out to be, you are on my list, Sharon... :lol:

Riz, if the Concorde would still be flying, it would be nice to just put a box of fish on it, and you should have it within...oh....3 hours! :rofl3

• 3 weeks later...

Some more update on the little ones.....

Roughly 5-6 weeks old now, they are on bloodworms, daphnia, the first very small crumbs of gel food and frozen brine shrimp. They definetely favor the latter one, maybe because it reminds them of their baby brine shrimp days when they were little.

One looks like a calico, while the others are either still "clear" or have black patches on them that start to come through. The number of fry is reduced to 4, since 2 of them had only half a dorsal fin and a kinked back.

I just can't wait to see some pics :D

And now that i've picked up a new 60 gallon, just think, I could become their aunty ... or I could once Riz finishes the means to get them to Australia.

Riz? Do you have an ETA on that transporter yet? :D

Lol Jen I think my brain is far too advanced for technologies of this era :D if only I could finish this time machine........

Andrea! U started this thread 1 month ago and u still haven't show any pics!!! Naughty naughty naughty! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Funny that you dug up that old post, Sharon! :lol: Updates on the little buggers is in my new thread "wakin fry"...

Hey, how did you know that?? How come you are hearing what we are discussing at home when you are 1000s of miles away!! :tomuch: