Very Sick Fish....

When cycling, it will depend on what your test kits are reading. For nitrites at 5.0 - I would do 60% and then test again about an hour later. Basically the next few weeks will be test, change, test, change. Then continue to change as much as you need to until you get a reading of <0.25ppm.

Another thing you can do while the nitrites are high is add 1 teaspoon of sea, rock or aquarium salt per gallon (predissolved in tank water). The reason for this is to help protect them from nitrite poisoning because no matter how many changes you do, you may still show 0.25 and even this level can cause illness. You will soon be out of the woods but it will seem like a bumpy ride for the next week or so... so hang in there :)

For now though, no meds and perfect water all the way.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to get Prime. ASAP. You have to de-chlorinate the water. Jen said you don't need the meds just perfect water and salt. I'd go with this advice. Read through her advice several times hun as it is a lot to take in and you want to get it right .The meds will not work in poor quality water.

What the store person said about stirring the gravel sounds very weird to me. Esp in a sick tank.Your water must be really cloudy now- you have to get clear water with 0 readings for ammonia and nitrites-

Never mind the rocks and decor. You can get rid of them all.Your cycle has crashed so they are of no benefit.If you want to keep one for the fish to hide under fine. To wash them- you asked- boiling water does it fine. Never ever use soap or detergent. Its poison for fish.

Are you reading other forums to learn more? :) There are so many people here who have been through this and have posted similar problems.

30 - 40 min after 50-60% water change

amonia- .25

nitrate- 20

nitrite- 3.0

hardness- 150

alkalinity- 120-180

pH- 7.8-8.4

When do i do it again? How often is too often?

When do I start offering food again? Can I give canned peas?

I took the rocks out and am leaving them out, there is alot of rotten blood worms in them and other rotten food. :ill

The goldfish are moving a little!

In your situation I would think you ned to do 2 water changes a day to get those nitrites down. Ammonia must get to 0 too.

What are you doing re-meds/ aquarium salt?

Good you threw the rocks away.

Does the water look clearer?

You could try a few canned peas chopped tiny if the water looks clearer! :)

What other food do you have? You say chips I don't know what they are..do you mean flake food like Tetra or Hikari flakes?

Post backplease let us know developments. I want your calico to make it. I have 2 calicos!! :heart

OOH we double posted. GOOOOOD news they ate!! :lol:

What did you feed them? ;)

Did you get rid of the eggs/gel at the bottom? That could make the skum on the top... :blink:

I was told to stop the meds (by Jen, i think) and I never did the salt.

The water is still cloudy and a bit discolored.

The food is the crisps...they are new....TetraMin Goldfish Crisps. I also feed blood worms (frozen).

Not sure what you ment by calico? I have a calico cat (Kali) ....my goldfish were plain old fair feeder fish (we won them at the fair). They were silver and now the male (Elmo) is mostly gold w/ white and the female (Dorie) is mostly white w/ gold! :rolleyes: Except she has red spots on her right now!

:blink: Sorry. My head is in something of a tangle here. Where did I get calico from...must've been reading another post. Sorry about that. So you have 2 feeder fish and how about the dragon fish? Is he still okay?

Sounds like things are picking up for you guys!! :D but you should keep changing some of the water so you can get it clear and readings of amm and nit to 0. :)

That's great they are eating!!! Good job!! :happydance

The dragon fish had been ok. The only thing wrong with him is that his fins are a little clamped...really just his tail fin. He is active, eating fine, no apparent red spots! His name is Lava by the way.

***My 6 yr old son (Austin) named all the fish! I also have a 20 month old daughter (Aariah) and a Chihuahua (Maverick). Now you have met all of us!***

I have another problem..... I am currently in the process of moving. How would I go about transporting my sick fishies?? I know it isn't a good time for the fish.....

I am off to bed....goodnight all...thank you so much! See ya in the morning!!

Well, we're going ta want pics y'know! :D

Post tomorrow in the discussion forum about moving OK.

See you there.

Goodnight. Have a good rest.

Imogen.

I was told to stop the meds (by Jen, i think) and I never did the salt.

The water is still cloudy and a bit discolored.

The food is the crisps...they are new....TetraMin Goldfish Crisps. I also feed blood worms (frozen).

Not sure what you ment by calico? I have a calico cat (Kali) ....my goldfish were plain old fair feeder fish (we won them at the fair). They were silver and now the male (Elmo) is mostly gold w/ white and the female (Dorie) is mostly white w/ gold!  :rolleyes: Except she has red spots on her right now!

489168[/snapback]

I really wouldn't stop meds if they have the red streaks...

K guys I am still confused about keeping up with the meds. I have heard so many diff opinions. My fish have fin rot! One also has red spots.

Meds or not???

489389[/snapback]

If they have fin rot then yes deffinitly keep the meds going

Have you ever tried Fungus Eliminator by Jungle? I found it the only thing to cure my fishes :(

Silverpelt - I understand you're trying to help but please understand that no meds will work until the water is perfect :)

Please don't put meds into your tank until you have your water under control - red streaks can be one of the biggest signs that water quality is an issue.

It's not septicemia unless the red streaking is all the way through the body - it looks like the entire body is on fire. Fin rot can also be a sign that their immunity isn't up to par and as I have mentioned, perfect water will help raise the immunity.

If your fish have red spots then there's a chance your new fish may have introduced a parasite.

Are they eating ok?

What does their poop look like?

Any erratic swimming?

Can you check the colour of their gills?

If you start adding meds while your water is poor, then your fish will only suffer more i'm afraid. So getting your water perfect first is your number one priority and once that has been achieved, you can then look at the most appropriate medication based on the symtoms.

I hope this helps and please post back soon.

They are barely eating.

Not really pooping- some after ate last night. It was the first time I've seen them eat in a while! It was the color of the food.

One is alot worse. The fem., she was red patches on her all over. Even her gills!

Haven't seen any eratic swimming in the last couple of days!

Why is your water still cloudy? Are you doing frequent water changes. As Jen says- meds are useless in water thats not perfect. Please do as she says- she's had years of experienceand here! :)

I will stop the meds......

I just don't know whose advise to follow!! (I am also talking to people outside of here also) I am not saying that anyone is wrong, I appreciate all of the advise, but one person says to continue and another says to stop!

My sicker fish (the fem) I saw eat a little of the flakes and also saw her eat a blood worm! She just pooped. It was brown! It is also very long and hanging from her. My male is looking better also! They are both more lively.

As of right now I have nothing in the tank. Is this ok?

Everything needs a good cleaning. Should I keep everything out until they are feeling better?

Empty tank is fine till they are better. Make sure you boil all the things that you'll put back in after the move oK?

The reason you have got conflicting advice is maybe it was hard to understand your water situation. If you tell people there is skum on the water surface and the water is cloudy I doubt that anyone will recommend adding meds!

How long till the move? You've got your hands full for sure with the baby and yr son and the sick fish. Hope you have help. :)

Archived