Snails For My Goldfish Tank

jessica

I don't know much about snails but I've hears that they can multiply like crazy. I thought it might be good to get some to go in my goldfish tank to eat algae or fish waste. Do you have to feed them food too? Are there any types that benefit your tank and don't multiply like crazy??? Jessica

Jessica, I am sorry, but if you get more than one snail chances are they will multiply. Some breeds will multiply if they are by themselves! :blink: Snails will eat algae and fish wastes, but it is not their primary food source. They will eat a variety of foods, and some snail enthusiasts actually make and sell special food or them that will provide them with all the nutrients they need. They have a preference for hard water because the calcium will help their shells develop and grow strong. If you have acidic water it will erode it. They also prefer a higher pH. Also, believe it or not there is a water requirement because they are so messy of (going from memory, memory going bad... :D ) 5 gallons/snail for the smaller apple snails. There are benefits to putting them in a tank, but you have to be careful. Some fish are not compatible and will harm or even eat the snails. My two bruiser goldfish actully took a hunk out of a snails foot once. Goldfish also like to nibble at the tentacles. Maybe they think they are worms to eat? Check out http://www.applesnail.net for complete info on different snail species. Do a little research and see what you think. If you are looking for something just to clean the tank, try an Oto or some other dwarf sized algae eater. Good luck! :)

:goodpost

Apple Snails are beautiful little creatures but if you are looking for something to clean up, I would give them a miss. The amount of poo they create is really amazing for their size!! For anything that they do clean, they will poo it all back out again (it seems like triple the amount to me!!).

They will not reproduce on their own though.

I love the little guys but I would take Lady's advice and go with something else unless you are prepared for lots of extra poo!!!

:)

To add to my previous post and with what kila said, they are not a good choice for a clean-up crew. They will eat the nasty stuff in the tank and algae, but only if there is no other food source and they are starving. They eat vegitable matter mainly. You gotta think their way. If you were a vegetarian and couldn't find food you would get desperate. Hey... rotting food! At least its food! Ohh! Fish poo! I wouldn't like that life... It would make me :cry1

*Edit: Not trying to be gross at all. So sorry if it seems that way.

Thanks so much for the information. I think I might be better off without a snail. I will look into different types of dwarf sized algae eaters, thought. You've both been totally helpful. I didn't even know there were any algae eaters that were compatible with goldfish. Thanks again. Jessica :D

Bristlenose /Rubberlip Pleco's are the best type of Alge Eater's for the Goldie tank.They stay a relatively small size,and normally get along great with Goldfish. What size tank do you have?

I have a 25 gallon tank that is overstocked. :( I am getting another tank pretty soom at least the same size, hopefully larger and that's when I was thinking of getting an algae eater for each one. I have four goldfish in my tank right now. I know it's terrible but it's not permanent. (From mouth to tip of tail) I had a 3" red capped oranda, a 3" orange oranda, a 4" black moore and a 4" black and gold oranda. I had the two small ones first and planned on getting two more only to find out I could only fit two in my tank. I fell in love with the other two and thought about getting them for a month. I finally decided I had to have them so I quaranteened them in a rubbermaid and now they are all in the tank. So, needless to say I'm on the lookout for another tank for the bigger two. I'm not sure how long they can all stay in the one tank for but I do a 30% water change about every 5 days and the water has been fine so far. I've only had the four in for about two weeks. The two big guys were so sad looking in their little crowded tank and they just seem so active and happy now. They're just like kids. I just love them. They've caught on to the begging just like the other two and they just love their veggies. Hope it's not too terrible of a thing I've done. :blink:

I'm sure that most of us have done what you have at least once,but the good thing is that you now realize that it's not the best arrangement for your fish,and indeed are trying to change it for the better. :) Pristene water will be essential to keep them healthy,especially because the more they grow,the more waste they produce. You will also notice that it will take more water changes to keep up with it all. :krazy: They can live together for a short period of time as long as you're staying on those Params.The only thought I have to add is that the longer you keep them overcrowded,the greater the chance of them becoming ill or actually stunted. Good luck with the searching for the new tank. :)

Archived