Sign in to follow this  
Abrya

Can Anyone Help? Why Did Squish Die?!

No symptoms at all!!! Fine one day, dead the next. Water has been perfect so I have no idea what's going on....except we have Ich now..but Scrappy died before the Ich came.

This has been the most interesting post i have ever read before. You guys make me feel like I want to become a bio-scientist to figure out all of these problems! The sad part is I'm in my last semester of college, graduating with my degree in accounting and minor in law, but thats neither here nor there. Just hazarding a guess because I am the furthest thing from a scientist there is, however the problem in both of your situations does not appear to be the water (ammonia, Nitrates, ect). I think the reoccuring streaks could possibly be a type of stress level, even though the streaks came originally from a bacteria infection. The re-occuring intestinal problem though with different fish could be unrelated, even though it seems unlikely. I have no clue, just hazarding some guesses.

Good Luck

Mark

Thanks Mark,

If I wasn't so drunk perhaps I could come up with something better to say...

But I am a scientist and that seems to help me not at all in this case :(

Guest Dico

this is a really interesting thread and id really like to know if you guys got any results with that Dr whatsits.

Stress is a good option put forward however it seems unlikely, do they have enough dark hours? Is there loud music always playing? or could foreign substances be entering the tank?

That fish cut up was so cute and i dont know how you could bring yourself to do that...i couldn't :(

anyway, keep us posted and good luck with any findings!

Hey Dico,

I haven't had a chance to contact Dr Whatsit yet...my PhD is keeping me *way* too busy!

Yup - the fish have plenty of dark hours and we don't play loud music very often at all...

*sighs*...yes , Squish was such a cutie...RIP.

Guest spot'smommy

Has anyone checked for a possible electric current that could have passed through the water? I once shocked a fish, it was an accident but the shock did kill the poor thing.

sorry about your fishes, good luck finding the cause

Guest spot'smommy

I had an alarm clock next to the fish tank, it got wet when I was changing water, some how, the current managed to pass through the tank, when it shorted out. fryed the wall scocket and everything. a really big mess from such a small accident.

Guest hocaspocus
The only symptoms Squish had were thick white empty poops.

Try this link for "diagnosis by poop." Sounds as though your fish was either not eating, or not digesting what he was eating:

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/disease/technique/technique.html#JoAnns_diagnosis_by_poop

I had a similar problem with a fish that I witnessed eating, but he wasted away over a period of months.

n

Oh! I am so sorry to hear about HBF :heart That is just terrible! Sudden death, no warnings, no ideas... I am really sorry :hug .

Graham had a few bad days last week but is bouncing back nicely now. He had a faint return of blood streaks in the tail but it cleared up really quickly. Since the tank is new and I am still "learning" it - I think his tail recurrence may have had to do with the fact that the pre-filter was full... as soon as I changed it and did a water change, GN was back to normal.

Which made me think... when the streaks were happening frequently, he was in a 20g tank with another large fish. Although the WQ stats were reading just fine, I think they were "overstocked" for 20g - which is why they got the 50g and since then things have been better. So, even though I kept up with WQ, too small is just too small - maybe he was more sensitve in the smaller tank?! :idont

Eventually, I will add the UV to this tank but I need it to get more established first.

Have you thought about a UV? GN got much better when turned it on!

The improvement does support my low-grade chronic septicaemia theory... a bacteriacidal a-bio. would do the trick, too, but it would mess with the cycle.

There are some specific signs to indicate electrocution, concurrent with exposure and post mortem, here is some information about it - although I am not sure that the red streaks would be indicative of electrocution:

To help prevent against electrocution, one can use a ground probe to detect errant electrical currents int eh tank - but a grround probe will only be effective when used in conjunction with a GFI, from my understanding of all this. A GFI is something that really should, ideally, be used by all aquarists at all times. After this post, I ran out and bought portable automatically resetting GFIs for all the oulets in my house used near water:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=41152

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=39668

Food - Removing ALL pellets from GNs diet has made a huge difference! I have been feeding him spirulina soaked in Vitamin C, which also appears to have helped him. Jean is great, as usual. They are both getting bigger already with all their new extra space :) Now, they eat spirulina (with Vit. C), peas, shrimp, clams, scallops, and seaweed.

Is there there anything you can think of that was similar in Squish's and HBF's demises? I hope it will all be OK... I guess the water params are still OK... ?!

Edited by Graham

Have you thought about a UV? GN got much better when turned it on!

The improvement does support my low-grade chronic septicaemia theory... a bacteriacidal a-bio. would do the trick, too, but it would mess with the cycle.

Is there there anything you can think of that was similar in Squish's and HBF's demises? I hope it will all be OK... I guess the water params are still OK... ?!

513753[/snapback]

No - haven't thought about a UV - don't know much about them really!

The only thing similiar about the fate of Squish and HBF is that they were fine and swimming one day, dead the next. :blink:

Water is still fine, with weekly water changes...hmmm...

Hey Sev,

Long time no contact, sorry, I've been avoiding Diagnosis and Disease for a while (too depressing and battling my own tank probs at the mo') and I've kind of not been coming on to KGW much recently due to other personal reasons... I'm sorry to hear about your tank probs. I just wanted to give my opinion on your pics of Squish, I know I'm not a vet or anything, but from my experience as a mortuary tech I might be able to give you some insight. I'm looking at the amount of fluid in the peritoneal cavity, there's heaps, and it's kind of bloodstained, I know this may have been introduced when you cut into your fish, but maybe you could remember, when you first cut in, was the fluid straw-coloured to begin with, or bloodstained? I would say that Squish had ascites, there shouldn't be that much fluid in the cavity with all the organs, that's often a sign of organ failure, especially liver and kidneys. the liver looks normal in colour and consistancy to me. I'm also looking at pic 2 above the swimbladder, there's some haemorrhagic tissue that looks like it could have come from where the kidneys are located, my thoughts is that it could have been kidney failure. Dunno, it's hard to tell. wish I had been there with a pot of formalin, I could have done some histo for you. we could have at least identified that tissue as renal or not... hmmn.

As for the reasons for this, my guess, lowered immunity from stress, what the stress was, :idont poss battling bacterial infection over long period, body-shape probs, environmental reasons. I'm not going to propose a reason as I haven't read all your threads and am unsure of your tank-setup, how the infection/treatment progressed etc. all I can say is I'm really sorry to hear that you are still having troubles.

I've been having trouble with that tank with big Black Betty in it, I've lost Lilliath already to something that caused dropsy, and BB has been pineconing and Elvis has been having terrible trouble with buoyancy (flipping), both have been pooping casts etc. the Tosakins, I've moved to a makeshift home as they haven't been having symptoms, but yestereday I've noticed their poops are going stringy... ech. I've done a series of two double-doses of tetracycline on the tank with BB and Elvis and I've been feeding them medicated food. (shhhh :unsure: ) BB's swelling has gone down (touch wood) but Elvis is still flipping, I think it's just that the med food is a bit difficult to digest... anyhoo. enough about my probs.....

Well, I heard from Dr. Lewbart. Understandably, he is very busy, too busy to help... :( But, hopefully he will contact me again with a referral of a fish spec. vet in my area. :idont We'll see...