White Worms!

My fish have been acting very lethargic for awhile. The water was always perfect 0 nitrite/ammonia and 10 nitrate. They often sit on the floor. Their poop is white and there is frayed fins and red streaks on them. Now today i have found small white worms!!!

These worms are very small. the longest would be under a centimeter. There are a lot in the tank, but not enough to make it obvious that they are there. i put one in a small cup and looked at it closely. it has tentacle type things coming out of its body in pairs, all the way down. it wriggles around and moves but it doensn't swim in the water. it fell to the bottom in the cup.

I have another tank (40 gallon) that i can put the 3 goldies in and start medication and stuff...what medication? what is this? help.

should i empty this tank and disinfect it?

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are the worms on the fish or on the tank?

If you can get a picture of them for us.

I am not a "worm" expert. I do know that some worms on the tank can be harmless.

But it does sound like you have a parasite problem with the fish.

For now I would recommend salting the tank to 0.1%, do you know how to do this?

I have found out that the worms are nematodes and are harmless to fish, but they still have the tattered fins, the yawning, the darting, the blood streaks on fins, resting on the ground, and my oranda often floats to the top.

What do i do? Should i switch the tanks?

Hi RedCap :)

They're not nematodes. Your description was enough for me to say that what your seeing is called an oligochaete. Here's a link to what you saw: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/wimsmall/worm.html

See the diff between nematodes and oligocheates? Either way, they are both harmless unless nematodes were found in a fresh fecal sample. ;)

It sounds like your fish are suffering fro a parasitic infestation of sorts. This causes a drop in their immune systems and allows for bacteria to get their "foot" in the door.

Have you added any new fish recently?

Have you tried to medicate with anything? If so, what and for how long?

Can you see any areas with a whitish haze? Perhaps on their sides, in the fins, the base of the fins, the head region just above the gills?

Any thread-like tufts blowing in and out of their mouths?

Post back soon and we'll see where we should go with a treatment regime..... :)

Paul

Hi RedCap :)

They're not nematodes. Your description was enough for me to say that what your seeing is called an oligochaete. Here's a link to what you saw: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/wimsmall/worm.html

See the diff between nematodes and oligocheates? Either way, they are both harmless unless nematodes were found in a fresh fecal sample. ;)

It sounds like your fish are suffering fro a parasitic infestation of sorts. This causes a drop in their immune systems and allows for bacteria to get their "foot" in the door.

Have you added any new fish recently?

Have you tried to medicate with anything? If so, what and for how long?

Can you see any areas with a whitish haze? Perhaps on their sides, in the fins, the base of the fins, the head region just above the gills?

Any thread-like tufts blowing in and out of their mouths?

Post back soon and we'll see where we should go with a treatment regime..... :)

Paul

487808[/snapback]

Okay you're right. They are oligochaete. No fish have been added for....about 8 months. They've been in there by themselves. The only way i could see that something got in the tank would be plants that were added temporarily a few months back, but those are now gone. My ryukin was really really bad for awhile and would do nothing but sit on the floor and yawned constantly and had really bad streaks on his fins so I quarantined him in a 10 gallon. Salted it to around .7% over the course of like 2 weeks. I also medicated it with Parasite Clear. He seemed to get better, eventhough he still yawned and darted and the streaks were there, but at least now he was active again.

The Moor and Oranda spawned while the ryukin was in quarantine and i figured the tank conditions couldnt be too bad if they spawned. So i put him back in there. but they are all still darting and yawning.

What do you mean areas of whitish haze? and there is nothing coming in and out of their mouths. and nothing externally attached to them.

Also, i'm moving them to the 40 gallon that is just almost finished cycling and using the 60 they are in for other fish. Should I move them now and start the 60 fresh again?

Yes, your going to want to break down the big tank and clean the living heck out of it. I mean lots of bleach and hot water. Possibly potassium permanganate as well, if you get yourself some. More on PP later. But, the sterilization is going to have to happen if your to put other fish in there or those fish will certainly catch whatever parasite is bothering your fish. Also, if you dont already have fish waiting for the 60, hold off til you get rid of the bugs your fish have right now. Otherwise, cross-contamination and/or re-infection is a reality to fear.

All in all, I would say that your a Prime candidate for Salt dips and then into potassium permanganate baths and then into a temporary bin (20 gallon rubbermaid bin, or the like, is fine). Do this every other day for up to a week and then see if the scratching has stopped.

Theres a bit more to it, but you get the general idea. Your room might become a makeshift laboratory pretty soon. :blink:

Are you up to it?

Paul

Okay. Salt dips and PP....

How does this sound?

I strip the 60 gallon down and the 40 gallon down too. (it's almost cycled but unfortunately i used a filter from the infected tank.)

I put the fish into the 40 gallon with all new water, cleaned out everything including filter. Up the temperature to around 80. Salt the tank to .7 or so gradually.

Salt dips for each of them and PP baths for 20 minutes every other day. Yes?

now where do i get PP?

:( sounds like septicemia and I know I have been saying this a lot but since it happened with my fish I have become so experienced with it. I know it very well could not be septicemia. With septicemia the fish are acceptable to every diease under the sun, which with septicemia there will be other dieases with it as it is blood poisioning and lowers the emune system so badly that they catch everything.

How much blood is in the fins? Does it look like veins or does it look like blood streaks?

If you you see veins its very likely just an injury in the fin.

Well, its a bit more complicated than that. For a regime like what I am suggesting you would need:

PP

1 or 2 plastic bins that hold 10 to 20 gallons

An aerator with two bubblestone/tubing arrangements

Thermometer

Ammonia and pH test kit

Access to a digital gram scale that weighs in tenths of a gram

A measuring cup or two

Some cleaning tools(rags, toothbrushes, green scrubbies plastic bowls)

An area where you can scrub and clean and then soak all of your filters, gravel, ornaments, etc)

Most importantly, your going to need to have at least two weeks of time to devote to making this treatment work. You cannot slack off in the middle of it and allow them to multiply back to high numbers again. You've got to hit them and keep on hitting them, til they are all dessimated. Otherwise, they WILL be back. So, have the time, planned ahead, before you begin.

Oh, and the PP dips are recommended at 4 hours long. :o

Post back soon.

Paul

Well, its a bit more complicated than that. For a regime like what I am suggesting you would need:

PP

1 or 2 plastic bins that hold 10 to 20 gallons

An aerator with two bubblestone/tubing arrangements

Thermometer

Ammonia and pH test kit

Access to a digital gram scale that weighs in tenths of a gram

A measuring cup or two

Some cleaning tools(rags, toothbrushes, green scrubbies plastic bowls)

An area where you can scrub and clean and then soak all of your filters, gravel, ornaments, etc)

Most importantly, your going to need to have at least two weeks of time to devote to making this treatment work. You cannot slack off in the middle of it and allow them to multiply back to high numbers again. You've got to hit them and keep on hitting them, til they are all dessimated. Otherwise, they WILL be back. So, have the time, planned ahead, before you begin.

Oh, and the PP dips are recommended at 4 hours long. :o

Post back soon.

Paul

488461[/snapback]

PP, needed.

plastic bins, check.

aerator with a t fitting for dual aeration, check.

thermometer, check.

ammonia and ph test, check.

digital gram scale, need. why is htis necessary?

cleansing tools, check.

area to scrub and clean, check.

2 weeks available...check. I'm doing independent study (school at home) and i just landed a job at a fish store. :)

So what is PP. What does it do, where can i get it?

also, my fish just spawned so they can't be too sick, right?

Edited by RedCapMiggi

This is a very concentrated form. A powder that you will be able to keep onhand for years to come. Very cost effective. This powdered form is the reason for needing access to a digital gram scale that reads tenths of a gram. You just need access to the scale for 30 minutes while you weigh and pre-package single use doses: http://www.pondrx.com/store/customer/produ...=1&cat=1&page=1

Then there's the liquid form of PP: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/produc...13;category_id= Its much easier to dose but is more expensive compared to the powder form. Then again, you probably wont be using any more than two bottles at max......

Either or will do the trick.

Here's some great in-depth info on potassium permanganate: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA027

Paul

Also, if your working in a local fish shop, BE VERY CAREFUL! Make well and sure that you scrub your hands and forearms off with very hot water and antimicrobial soap before you go getting into doing things in your tank/s at home. You can VERY easily transfer sickness to your fish by cross-contamination from your own hands. Bacteria, viruses and many different protozoans can hitch the short ride from work to home. Costia, chilodonella and epistylus can form a cyst and avoid dessication so the cross contamination could conceivably happen hours after work......... Just something to be wary of........ ;)

Well, Nothing is a certainty but I can tell you with a large degree of certainly that if anything has a chance to whip these reiliant bugs of your, PP does. ;) The process of sterilizing the tank, ornaments, equipment and everything else is to be sure that re-infection does not occur. It would be a shame to successfully eradicate the bugs from your fish only to add them back to the tank that has the bugs in the first place. :unsure:

All in all, I am pretty confident that your seeing a ciliated protozoan infection and PP is the premiere compound for doing them in.........

hey there RedCapMiggi :exactly when I 1st got goldfish i wrote to the theGoldFishConnecton when i had those symptoms and white worms EVERYWHERE. he told me which medicated food to buy from him (it worked, on frayed fins, weird poop AND fungsy patches, which NEVER came back.

he ALSO told me the worms were most likely from too many nutrients (old food and poop etc) and the bacteria was from all that too, which made my fish sick.

I now clean my filter more often now BCUZ of what he said, and I vacuum a lot more and at that time when they were sick i did a LOTTT of vacuuming and water changes. i no longer have those worms and the fish have been great for a long time now :)

Hope that helps ! :)