Sick Common?

parkerdt

Dory's nightly waterchange - uneventful - still at 1/4 full dose Epsom. Looking OK, still more lethargic than I would like, but nothing bad reoccuring. She looks great, and is quite the night owl now.

Dave

ps. Boo is much better today - we'll see if it continues since the little stinker got into an Easter basket and managed to find about 1/2 oz of chocolate. First barf, he's off to the emergency vet.... My girls have been rather soundly lectured, yet again. <sigh>

Dave

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normal evening water change, lowered her temp another degree (it will take all night to get down to 76.5 in that tank). Dory is, for today at least, more active! Now, she's not had a problem eating when the lights are on, but today, while they were on, she was swimming around, nibbling algae off the back glass, foraging her gravel, etc. Usually she does this when the light is out.

I guess she's gotten used to us changing her water because it bothers her not one lick anymore. I took the opportunity to do as close a physical exam as I could - and she looks *really* good - scales have all grown back in and are nice and flat, and they are orange! Her whole physical appearance seems to be "coming back together" for lack of a better phrase... Hopefully all this continues ;-)

Still eating like a pig, but I swear Nemo has grown another inch while she's been going through this, so she will have some catch up to do. She does not like it when the ProGold pellets sink and bonk off her, so I'm trying to let them sink in a part of the tank where she is not, so she'll forage. Of course, she swims over and grabs a few pellets before they hit bottom, and the rest bonk off of her :-)

Still have her on garlic, 1 drop per 10 gal every other day. I'd say it is still helping her appetite.

Dave

I am glad to hear that both Dory and Boo are doing well.

What another scare with the chocolate!!! Goodness. I assume it was milk chocolate. Which is not good, but not as deadly as dark chocolate. Just and FYI.

Keep me posted, I am pleased that things are still going good.

Thanks Laurie,

I did spend some anxious moments Googling choclate and dogs, but it was indeed milk chocolate and less than 1/2 oz. Boo is looking even better today, and actually letting us give him his meds.

And I can't tell you how pleased I am that Dory continues to respond well.

Dave

Everyone is doing well today. Both Dory and Boo seemed to have turned a corner - remarkable increase in activity for them both. I plan to take Dory off salt with 3 regular water changes this weekend - she's at 1/16 tsp per 5 gal atm, or 1/2 the normal first dose for Epsom. I will of course have the Epsom in reserve,

but I'd really hope to switch her to Aquarium salt after some time off the Epsom.

The main appears to be about 10 days away from finishing cycling! Of course, we all know how cycles go... But if everything continues on schedule Dory would be ready to move back at a slightly elevated temp next week at this time. Not going to rush it - we've got too much invested in getting her well. But it is close enough to be rather tantalizing, and one less tank to change? That is what I call heaven :-)

After watching the results in Nemo's tank, and with his improvement, I have ordered a 15 watt UV to go on the main, once it is done cycling.

Dave

Edited by parkerdt

BTW, we got the autopsy results on Gabby today. She died of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, an enlarging and hardning of the heart muscle. No evidence of any toxicity. I feel much better knowing that it was not something that was done to her, or something that she got into! At least her death alerted us to the problem with Boo in time to do something about it, so I guess there really is a silver lining in every dark cloud.

Goldfish are doing well, today, and Boo's check-up went fine.

Dave

We're off on a long day trip tomorrow to get a puppy, so I've decided to leave Dory eactly where she is, salt and temp-wise until we are home and can watch her closely. She's continuing to do well, and I'm hopeful at this point that she'll have no problem getting off the Epsom. ;-) Boo is continuing to improve also :-)

Dave

Edited by parkerdt

Dave what a relief that you now know what happened..........but with Both dogs getting sick at the same time, have they given any explanation to this?

A new puppy huh? Sounds delightful, you will have to tell me all about it.

Dory is still doing well after another 50% waterchange with no salt. After tomorrow's change, (3rd 50%) there should be very little if any Epsom salt left. I am thinking I want to get her and Nemo (who is at .3%) on .1% aquarium salt for a while, especially during their upcoming move to the main tank. What is best practice for moving a fish from Epsom to regular aquarium salt? Nemo's easy, I know how to lower salt :-) On Wed, Dory will be going to 75.5 degrees, and we're now well within Nemo's tolerance range even if we never lower it again. So it is time to plan - the cycle on the main will be complete by this weekend, I believe.

Opinions and help appreciated :-)

Dave

DORY IS OFF EPSOM SALT!!!!!! Doing great so far, and temp at 76.5! Activity level continues to improve, she's now attacking the ProGold. Still not a big fan of her light, I guess this all will just take more time. But she looks fantastic. This is my 3rd night of 50% water changes with no Epsom, and she was at 1/16 tsp per 5 gal, or 1/2 the starter dose.

Main was at zero nitrItes, finally, so one more two teaspoon dose of ammo to make sure it stays that way, then it will be time for massive water changes. It's possible I could be moving Dory this weekend if everything goes perfectly. I want her to move back first so she gets the exposure to the river rock (which will be new to her) and gets well used to the new tank before Nemo goes in. I'd like to move them at 0.1% salt; Nemo will be a month on 0.3% salt in another 10 days if my mental calendar is correct. Should give Dory plenty of time to adjust.

How long should I wait before I introduce her to aquarium salt? I have decided to buffer the pH to remain at 7.0 for the forseeable - they seem to do well, and I do not want to upset the applecart at this point; it's quite easy to buffer to 7.0 with the Seachem Neutral Regulator.

thanks,

Dave

Edited by parkerdt

4 days off salt, and Dory hasn't looked this good in months - her activity level is picking up, and the lights do not seem to bother her as much. One more temp decrease later this week, and I think she might be ready to go back to the main tank, assuming its chemistry holds well once Nemo is in there, I've cycled it with extreme doeses of ammonia, so hopefully, what I get is a baceria bloom rather than an ammo spike once Nemo is in. Time will tell, and I will keep Nemo's qt runnig until we are sure.

Once the nitrIes stay at zero for a few days running, I think I will try and move Dory back, assuming we can get her temp matched to 75 degrees.

I will try to post a pic of her, she's looking so much better.

Dave

On advice from Laurie, I moved Nemo back into the main tank first. He's really happy to be there - lot of extra swimming room! And he's immediately next to Dory again - the two of them have been swimming next to the sided of their tanks, next to each other, apparently glad to see each other!

I plan to continue Dory's daily water changes and monitor the main for at least a week to make sure it is fully cycled. Once it is - Dory gets moved back too. She's looking good, and returning to being a real pig with her ProGold. Nemo is not quite sure about ProGold yet - he's so used to metromed, poor guy - but I am sure he'll get the hang of it - Dory just LOVES the stuff.

Dave

Guest SminiFish

Wow Dave! I just came across this thread and read through some of the contents. I didn't realize how much you have been through these last few months with your tank and your goldies. Dory sounds like she is doing great! You did such an awesome job nursing Dory back to health! :hi5 Good Job Dave! We are all so happy she is doing so well!

Thanks! It's been quite an experience, you are correct! :exactly

I do think we're getting close to being back to normal - what will I do with all the spare time that I don't need to spend changing water? Oh, I guess I'll do some work on my reef tanks for a change. :)

Dave

Normal water change for Dory tonight with a good, long gravel vac. Since Nemo is back next door, I've not seen her sit on the bottom a single time. She's obviously as happy to see him as he is her - he keeps trying to swin through the glass to get to her! Everything still looking good, and I lowered her temp to 75 - will take most of the night to drift down there, but that is the temp of the main!

24 hours after Nemo moved back, the main is zero ammo and zero nitrites. We'll do a change on it tomorrow for nitrAtes if needed, but it appears to have cycled enough to not be bothered with Nemo - and this is a good thing!

Dave

Edited by parkerdt

Keeping up with Dory's water changes, and two main notes:

1. She's much more active since Nemo moved in next door - I'd say about 95%.

2. She's gotten to the point that the light does not bother her!

So, I've cranked up the flow in her tank in prep for her move back to the main this weekend ;-) She's looking great and eating well, and no problem a all manuvering.

Dave

I am indeed thrilled! Dory is back in the main tank!!!!!!!!!

She and Nemo are swimming in circles up, over, around and under each other - a GF happy dance, I think. They have not left each other's side in the hour she's been back in, and in fact, have usually been touching each other. It's really very cute, and sweet.

Water in the main was ammo 0 nitrItes 0 nitrAtes 20 after 72 hours with just Nemo, so I think the thing is well-cycled! I did a 25% water change just to be sure. 2 Fluval 405s and a 15-watt UV, I have to believe the tank chemistry is more stable than what Dory was in - her qt tank never really had a chance to cycle with the daily 50-60% water changes.

Here's hoping Dory has the strength to put up with the big bruiser! When this all started, they were close in size, now Nemo is clearly quite a bit larger than she is.

She's done well the past two days with increased flow, so I do not think there are any worries there.

I will get a pic and post it once the two of them have a little more time to settle in.

I've also done an 80% water change on Nemo's old 40 gal qt tank after a floss change and gravel vac; I know that tank is also cycled and if I have to move Dory back out, I'd rather her go in there. I plan to PP and then bleach her 30-gal qt tank tomorrow, boil all the gravel, let everything dry out in the sun, and have it in reserve if I need a second QT again.

A happy day! :D Thanks to all for your help and perseverance through this two-month ordeal. And a very special thanks to Laurie P. - her excellent coaching got us to where we are today.

Dave

Edited by parkerdt

Thanks, Susan!

I am very relieved that this whole thing has worked out well up to this point, and I am hoping all continues to go well! My two are looking better every day, I have to get a pic up soon - they are so cute swimming together.

Dave