Juwel Rio 125 - Anyone Got One Of These?

mrbumblebee

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone had a Juwel Rio 125 tank? If so, what are they like, what do you think of them?

You know, the construction, casing, the look etc. Also what about the built-in filter and lighting that comes with it - are they any good. Anyones experience/opinion of this set-up would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Hi Pal,

Rio's are tidy little tanks i have owned a rio 125, 180 , 240 and am seting up a 300 !! if using for goldys lights are fine but the filters are not great, i used to run a fluval 304 with mine

Thanks mate, I'm hoping to get a second tank soon but unfortunatley I don't have the space or budget for anything too big so I was just wondering about the Juwel range. I bet the 300 looks great!

I expected to have to upgrade the filter - I prefer external filters anyway. Otherwise, it looks like a pretty strong tank and I like the casing.

Anyone else had any experience with Juwel Rio tanks? Any comments appreciated, Cheers! :D

I have the 240 but keep tropicals in it. I love the tank but as said above you need more water movement though the media itself is great. Ive also heard a few horror stories on other sites where the middle cross strut has snapped but ive never had any problems with juwel tanks but ive had my 240 since last june and a smaller rekord for two years.

Thankyou for your comments guys - I want make an informed choice when I eventually buy another tank, I can't afford to make too many mistakes - it's an expensive hobby this!

I bet your really excited about your new tank Kila, I'm guesssing but is the Rio 400, 400 litres?! if so that's a lot water and a lot of fishies! Bet you can't wait! :D

I really am excited but I can't relax until it's actually here with me. I bought a 270 litre back in February is the couriers smashed it, it "fell off the forklift".........GGGRRRR!!

I got a full refund but it's shaken my faith in delivery people!!

Then I saw this Rio 400 (yup 400 lovley litres!!) on Ebay and went for it. The guy I bought it from is delivering it to me himself so fingers and toes crossed that it will arrive ok.

Filtration is going to cost me a fortune but I'll worry about all that when it arrives.

I can't wait to get my first Oranda...yay!!

:D

Hey there. I have a Juwel vision 180 which I really like.

My feeling about the filtration is that you get a very good surface area for the bacteria to grow but not enough circulation, like Sandy says. She's got a big old thread on Juwel tanks somewhere, which you might be interested to find. Anyway, they make powerheads of different strengths so my solution was simply to upgrade the powerhead I had for a stronger one; now I've got a spare left over for a smaller tank.

The only other thing is the lighting: If you want plants and you're happy with low-level-light plants such as ancharis, java, vallis and crypts then the juwels are fine; if on the other hand you want to be more adventurous you'd need to find a way to increase the light level.

Good luck with it.

PS. Kila, if you see this - all I have to say about your 400 is :druel and :ill

Thankyou for your comments guys. I bought a secondhand Juwel Rio 125 on saturday! It was for sale fairly locally and didn't want to miss an opportunity.

I got the tank with the filter powerhead and lighting unit and some other bits and pieces for ?30! :D A bargain I think!

The tank is in really good condition, only 4 years old - I've cleaned it out, checked and water tested it and it looks great.

I will need to get some stuff for the filter but I'll probably add an extra external filter as well.

I need to buy a stand but they don't cost too much compared with a overwall price of a new package and I might try to get a secondhand one as well.

I'm not going to able to set it up for a while yet because of space and having the money to get the other things I need but I hope to have it setup in a few months. :)

Guest fishy_time

sorry to but in here but ive just bought the rio 180 put water in yesterday,i was just wondering about the filters how do you take these out as mine seems to be stuck on and or can i just had another if so what type and size to compliment the built in one what kicks out 600 ltrs per hour thanks if you can help cos i want to get this right from the start :)

The filter casing is siliconed to the walls of the tank so you would need a really sharp hobby knife to slice through it. I dont see the need to do this as the media is great for the biobugs and you could upgrade the pump itself to a bigger one or get an external filter.

Guest fishy_time

what like make it 1000 ltrs per hour and or what recomemdations for an external to go with this one thanks and again sorry to but in but this is my first decent size tank

You could keep he powerhead you have and get something like this to help with the flow

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquapro-3-External-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

or get the 1000lph powerhead and get a smaller external http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENN-PLAX-CASCADE-70...1QQcmdZViewItem

The idea is to get 10 times filtration and as much media as possible.

I know, I'm so excited.

Thanks for those links Sandy. I wish they would post to Italy. I'm going to need one like that in mine.

Hi Guys, I'm just trying to work out what filter media I need to buy for the Juwel Rio 125 built in internal filter, I think it's a Compact H.

I've downloaded the filter instructions from the Juwel website and I can see that I need to get some polypads, coarse and fine sponges but do I really need the carbon and nitrate removal spnges or can I just add extra coarse/fine sponges into the filter basket for the bacteria to grow on?

What do other people with Juwel filters do? I'll probably add carbon to the additional external filter if needed and I'm not sure about the nitrate removal sponge as I've never heard of one before. All help appreciated :D

Hi guys, another thing I was wondering was where do the two black plastic grids fit into the system.

I have the white plastic filter baskets for the filter media to fit into but what do I do with the two plastic squares?

Do I use them to seperate the baskets or do I put one on the top and one on the bottom! What are they for?

I must be really stupid, but the instructions I downloaded from the Juwel website don't even mention these plastic grids at all! Any help appreciated! :D

Sounds complicated!! I can't help you because I don't have mine yet so I'm not sure what it all looks like.

I'm sure I'll be coming to YOU for help when mine arrives though!!

I have no idea what the black bits are that youa re referring to, can you post a pic?

For the sponges, you dont need the carbon or the nitrate remover one unless the nitrates from your tap are above 40. With mine, I have one coarse then moving up I have 1 of the medium sponges and then 2 fine, but thats the 240 so i dont know what the layout is with yours. I havent looked at mine for a while so not really sure how many sponges I have but the carbon i will only use if i need to take meds out and i swapped the nitrate for another sponge. Mix and match really, but always have the coarsest on the bottom.

Thanks Sandy. I'll try and post a picture if I can get hold of a digital camera (mines broken).

I'll try and describe them a bit better - they are both square shaped thick black plastic grids, they fit perfectly inside the filter casing and seem to have little clips which grip onto the casing wall at the bottom, in the middle between where the first filter basket comes up to and where the next one sits and also at the top. I assumed they were for seperating the media for some reason but I'm not sure why.

Like I said there is no mention about them whatsoever in the instruction sheet I downloaded from Juwel. Oh well, I don't think they are essential to it working properly.

As for the filter media, I think I'm going to do what you do and double up on the blue coarse and fine sponges.

I don't like the idea of Nitrate removal sponge for some reason, I think I prefer to just do regular water changes.

Last time I tested our tap water I don't think it registered any Nitrates at all (is that normal?). I try and keep the tank water less than 20, but it's usually around 5 when I do my weekly water change anyway.

I'm a bit confused about where all the filter media goes though, you advised to keep the coarse sponge at the bottom, but the instruction sheets I have says to keep the fine at the bottom, then coarse, then nitrate remover, then carbon and the polypad at the top.

I'm new to powerheads - does the water get drawn in from the bottom slats in the casing or the top, the diagram is a bit confusing! I might be back for more advice when I get it going! :)

The plastic grids were used in the old RIO's to seperate media, if you have the old Rio filter set up i would, take it out and put something like a fluval 204, i also know that fluval have bought out a new filter but i dont know much about it

Ps are you close to herts ?

Archived