Considering Breeding

Drayco

Hello everyone.

iv just recently joined the forums, and i am also considering breeding gold fish.

i have a 200 liter tank that is currently running in, i was wondering if there was any length of time. before my fish would be able to breed. ( because of it being a complete new tank ect )

If so id be greatfull if you could let me know.

also, when i get my wish to breed, id like to sell the fish they reproduce, i was wondering if anyone knew the best ways to sell them.. other than my local fish shop. ?

Thanks

Lee

lol thanks,

i have my eye on a couple of larder fish atm, that have already produced rather a lot of fry, so we shall see if i do buy them or not. but atm, i am not sure, as ill need to find room to put another tank lol.

I'd definetely start with a proofen pair that already had fry. That way you don't have to guess in a store which ones are the males and females. And I would also have the tank completely cycled before attempting to breed, unless of course the fish decide not to wait that long.... :lol:

Also a very good idea to stick some extra sponge filter into that tank as well, so whenever you are ready for the job of a goldfish father, the fry have a cycled sponge filter for them. I personally like the hydro sponges, those things come in all sizes, are cheap, and have a big surface area for the bio bugs to live in... :)

They are being sold at most stores, online and otherwise...

Hydro sponge filter

As for where to sell them too once they are old enough, there are quite a few possibilities. I personally see the pet store as last resort, since you don't have any control over who gets your fish. They might end up with somebody who doesn't have a clue on how to take care of them. You can look in your circle of friends and see if anybody there "needs" a goldfish, or find a local koi/goldfish/water garden club or aquarium society for any fry - those people know all about fish keeping... :)

thank you for your reply ranchugirl, yeah i always like to make sure my animals go to a good home, i used to breed phythons and lots of other animals, but i would never sell them to people i wouldnt trust to look after them.

My last resort was pet shops ect. as my home was beginning to resemble a zoo. lol.

But yes any way, i think i will buy a breeding pair, so i know they are male and female, also so that i know they are old enough to breed ect.

Thanks for the link, when i decide i am ready to start, i will let you know :) and see if i can produce some babies :)

You are welcome... :)

Pythons, hm? A big beautiful albino ball python comes to mind. My stepson had a regular python for a while until he lost interest, but my favorite would have been an albino one... :heart

Archived