When I ...

Guest 020292

~ Hey ~ When i looked at ghost shrimp at my lfs they were swimming on the rocks and they were not doing anything! What do those do!

Thanks!

I was thinking about getting one for my little 1 gallon becuase that is what someone said would do good in there and they are small and hard to see!

What do i need to know when keeping those?

Thanks! Do they need a heater?

What do they eat?

Do they need some type of filter?

Thanks!

I'm not positive how well they'll they'll do in a one gallon because they like to be in groups and 1 gallon is kinda small for a group. They need a high pH, hard water, and a fully cycled tank with filter before you introduce them to any tank (fishless cycle before buying). Honestly I don't think they do too much besides what you saw at the LFS. You'll need lots of decorations and hiding places. They are very sensitive to any chemical or metals in the water, and sensitive to pH changes and ammonia/nitrite as well. This might make it even harder to keep them in a 1 gallon tank. They eat quality fish flakes, but make sure you feed very sparingly.

I WILL MY TANK HAS BEEN SITTING ALL WEEKEND WITH THE WATER ROCKS AND THE PLANT!

tHANKS!

DO YOU THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA OR NOT BECUASE SOMEONE ELSE ON HERE SAID THAT IT WOULD BE OKAY!

I agree with Kissy-As I have seen these cute buggers at the store myself and have been tempted by them I just hold back from getting a bunch.

From what Kissy has said they need quite a bit of attention, And with a 1gal. tank it's not a very good idea to try house even one. ;) As they need to be in groups.

I personally don't think it's a good idea.

Also cycling a tank involves alot more than sitting it for a few days.. have a careful read through this link http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html you will understand it more when you have your test kit, all this confusing stuff with the water is why we really need the tests :)

okay! i will not do it! I have three baby ramshorns in there now becuase they are growing fast and i wanted them to clean the rocks and the sides of the tank for me:0 They are doing a good job at it too!

Thanks!

Any suggestions about what to do when they outgrow it? What should i do with it!

Thanks!

Archived