two penguin 350 bio wheels,

media baskets in each one with foam and bio-glass,

temp is around 76,

all my water conditions are fine,

however one of my fish has been sitting on the bottom a lot,

his bottom fins are little red,

and his tail is split in a few places,

the other one has a split in his tail, but thats his only symptom,

i have tried asking other people and all they say is that it is water quality issues,

but i have been testing my water each week before i change it and its always 0's, with nitrates at around 10. ph is always at 8.0,

i have been adding melafix and salt to the tank, it's not really helping I don't think,

he still eats fine, and will start swimming around if i bother him. they eat sparingly because one tends to go belly up. I feed them progold, spirulina flakes, progold, skip a day, peas, progold, then on the last day spirulina flakes.

im wondering if anyone has some more advice? Could it be water quality issues from a long time ago maybe when i didnt check it that week. would it take this long for them to get back? I change their water every week, maybe taking a couple extra days to get to it.

Are you water conditions, at this particular point in time, fine? Everything 0 except for the nitrAtes? And when you say water quality issues from a long time ago - what time frame are you talking about? If it was within the past month or two, it could very well be that.

Are both of these fish the original inhabitants - or has one been added after the other? Have you added any live plants recently?

Do you know what % salt level your tank is at?

Do you notice any excessive yawning, or other behavior such as rubbing against the gravel, flashing and darting along the glass?

And when you change their water every week, how much do you change out? Do you gravel vac as well?

Sorry for the questions...just trying to get my arms around whatever the problem may be. Post back soon!

Guest heyboova

the water conditions have been perfectly fine for a while i believe,

everything 0, nitrates like 5-10,

we had the first one, then when we got the 55 we got a fish from vvvv, which is the sick one now. We got him at the beginning of the summer. There was another fantail in there during the summer that shared a tank with a common for a while before it got too big, but he passed away. the common was a feeder, so im wondering if any parasites got into the 55. this was all last summer though.

they do yawn, i don't know if it is excessive yawning, but i have seen them yawn. i don't believe they flash however.

i usually take around 1/4-1/3 of the water out a week, i have a bare bottom so i just move the few river rocks around and suck up any poop that didnt make its way into the filter.

i believe there are 30 tablespoons of salt in right now.

It sounds like maybe flukes to me....split fins, sitting at bottom, yawning...any scratching or flashing? Since you say you brought a new fish in Im thinking parasites....flukes are coming to mind though. Im curious to see what others say though..

How does their poop look? Healthy/coloured? Or white and stringy?

Also, can you check the colour of their gills? Are they a nice meaty red? Or brownish/pale? Yawning every now and then isn't a problem, they're usually trying to clear their gills but if it's more frequent, it may indicate a problem with the gills.

Guest heyboova

the new fish was added during the summer, and had been in a seperate tank for a few months before that. I didn't treat that tank for parasites however.

i've had salt in there around a week i'd say, maybe more.

ph out of the tap is 8.0

their poop is good, little chunks, not long, color of their food.

i can try and check their gills, i'm never sure exactly what to look for

i can try and check their gills, i'm never sure exactly what to look for
Also, can you check the colour of their gills? Are they a nice meaty red? Or brownish/pale?

Guest heyboova

I picked him up to try and see inside his gills, but its hard to see. when hes swimming and he opens them it looks red. Even then i'm having trouble checking though.

The redness in the fins is it spreading?

Does it seem at the base of the fin where it connects to the body?

My fish that are going though septicemia had these symdoms

Sitting at the bottem, though coming up for food and

red streaks in fins that spread over time

They would sit on the bottem of the tank unless there was food, or I would get them to move, in the later stages of it (span of 3 weeks or more) it went to not eating and barely breathing, then the infections of other bacterias start to take over since the fish can not fight it off :(

I don't want to scare you or anything, just if that could be it its good to catch it right away because if you don't they are likely to pass over.

I wish I had a picture of my girl that I had to put down when she was sick so you could compare with your fish. From what I read about the diease is that its is contacted threw contamination, from dirty water to simply having soap resedue on your hands after washing them, handcreams on your hands, ointments, things like that can give it easily if your fish has a low system or even the tinyest cut on them somewhere.

Guest heyboova

the redness isn't spreading, it has been there for a while, it hasn't gone away with melafix or salt yet. It is on the bottom two fins, just slightly red, not horrible, but noticable.

Archived