Fishies Moving Home!

Lydia

Hey everyone,

Some basic info...

I adopted 2 common goldfish from a friend that was leaving the country.

They came in a 50L ~ 13Gallon tank, with a Fluval 1plus filter.

The tank is triangular with the two sides cut off to create more surfaces.

Not long after we got that we bought two Black Moors and some plants.

Obviously the tank was overstocked. Probably with the just two goldfish in there but that was long before I even learnt anything about fish.

You see the small tanks with zillions of fish in them and think oh but mines bigger so its ok

Anyway long story short, 1 black moor got sick and died after just 4 days which freaked me out and started looking into fish upkeeping and came to this lovely site. We've passed through constipated fish, water smelling like their food, flashing fish to now with 3 healthy looking fish that eat from my hands *FINALLY!* and water after week looking as if it was just placed from the tap.

I know they need to move homes and I've been looking at new tanks. So I want to do this right and get as much info for them to move safely into new tank.

I've seen the cycling and new setting up new tank info on the site which is very useful but I got some questions re: filter and tank...

Tank & Tops:

The tank I like and want to buy them is 30 x 15 x 12 with 88.5L ~ 23.62 gallons.

I know theres a 10 gallon per fish rule but I really dont wnat to go higher than that.

The fish are of approx 6cm, 8cm and 4cm size thats.. 2.5 inch , 3 inch, 1.5 inch.

That tank will be huge for them no???? I don't want to get a tank where I'll have to look for 5mins to figure out where my fish are LOL. It will also b rectangular so they'll have plenty of way to swim!!!!!!!

An annoying thing is that tank is like ?40 and to get a top for it it'll be almost an additional ?40, thats just crazy!!

UK peeps, how did you get your tanks???? I know cheapest is to get one from another person but I can't find anything and I don't know where to start!

I'd also like to sell my tank eventually since I see at the shop it goes for like ?50!! so that'll be some compensation on moving home hehe

Why on earth are the tops of the tanks sold separately????? and so expensive! is there anyone that will buy a tank without a top? *shrugs*

oh and... I found this top/hood....

Hoods/Trays

which is cheap!!!! so I should buy mine from there... only problem is my tank says its 30x15x12 and they say they sell 30x12 pfttttttt

Filter:

This is where it gets confusing. What on earth is the difference between biofilters, power filters, undergravel etc... which is the best one would u say?

I think at aquatics shop they got Bio one grr I dont remember correctly now :(

I've seen these ones too:

Eheim Internal Power Filters

are those good? they sure are cheaper than the local store and I want to buy things as cheaply as possible.

Air stones etc..

From reading I gathered its the bubbles effect that helps Oxygen into tank?

My question is, right now I just have filter in tank, do they get enough oxygen???

Would you recommend having them? Is it ok for fish to get caught in bubbles? I'd love to have an effect with bubbles!!!

Vacation coming - Feeders

This is the boring part. After reading about my options I feel like going for the fishless cycle as I sure don't want to kill my fish!

We have a problem though. I am leaving for Xmas vacation Dec 13th.

If they move onto their new tank which I'd prefer it cause their water won't be changed for 3 weeks I think it would be safer with as little problems as possible due to say Ammonia poisoning. Thats though if their tank is established and runs without a hitch.

Do you think 50L would sustain them for that long? Their tanks for 1 week is relatively very clean compared to how it used to. Not to mention previous owner only changed water each month. So if I cleaned water straight before I left they should be fine no?

On food though I found some online feeders with batteries. There is one that is for like 14 days, would they b ok for one week without food? I'm not too happy about that. The others don't even show how long they last:

Feeders

I'd like to get: Hagen A780 NutraMatic 2x Fish Food Feeder

cause its cheap. anyone know how long it lasts???

I also plan to put some new plants in there in case they go very hungry they can nibble them. I dont want to overstock it with plants because last time they had 2 in there water started smelling like plants!!!

Snails:

Where on earth do they appear from???? I'm told they produce more waste than the fish themselves *shrugs* I keep taking them out but it seems every week one appears out of nowhere. Wonder if one of them layed eggs and they're hatching or something.

Cycling - Test Kits

I plan on doing the fishless cycle as I am scared they might die :(

I got a question popping up in my head though.....

Suppose I put all of their water into the new tank. That would mean I only have to put half of the tanks capacity extra tap water and say I moved gravel on next tank.

Would that not mean the cycle continues??? since its really the same water and only 50% supposedly water change? Anyone done this???

I wonder if the lil filter sponge could move onto newer filter, that would also mean the good bacteria move on with the fish and they are all happy no???

If that can't be done, do you test water every day in anticipation for the ammonia, nitrite peaks to occur and go away?

Moving Actual Fish:

I don't have a net, and I'm told don't get one either as it hurts the fish..

Is it ok if when its time to move I grab them with my hand? Or am I supposed to chase them around with a cup? hehe

Live plants!

I plan on having some live plants for them... they don't cost too much there's the Anacharis ones on sale for like 5 for ?1 which is not bad! I now have a fern in there which one of fish likes to sit on. I don't think its laying eggs though.

Light

I love the effect of the fluorescent lighting in contrast with pink and blue gravel!

Do fish like it though??? I don't want to drive them nuts, especially after the being afraid of light saga lol

Thanks to everyone for reading this mamooth of a post!!!!!!!

Love ya!!! I plan on setting up a webcam on the progression of their trip :) and i'll keep a diary for them. should be fun and hopefully helpful to those that plan on moving or setting up tanks :)

Thanks bunches.

Lydia a.k.a fish newbie

Wow!! That is one long post with so many questions! :)

I will try to answer some since my time is limited.

First of all, goldfish grow fast--they are small now but with proper conditions they can double, triple in size in a relatively short period of time.

I would advise buying the largest tank that you can afford. I am in the US and there are "pet supermarkets" with great deals on tanks. There are online places (but shipping would be pricey).

When goldfish have a good amount of space, they have the opportunity to really thrive--the water quality is better, etc.

If you are refering to zillions of fish in a small space at a pet store--they have powerful central filters that keep the water very clean and it is a temporary "holding" tank. Goldfish can do ok for 2-5 years (but usually less) in small spaces but when you consider that their lifespan is 15-20 years, that would be like a person dying when before they reach their 20s.

I am not sure why tops are sometimes sold separately--maybe to give the buyer a choice--the very large tanks have "canopies" so that the lights can be up over the top without having to shine through a glass lid.

I would recommend a hang on back filter (the undergravel ones can be really gunky and cause bad bacteria to grow down there) such as a Penquin with a bio wheel. The wheel thing turns and grows beneficial bacteria, you never clean that, only the removable filter pad that goes with it.

I have a bubble wall, my fish used to hang out at the top, gulping air until I put the bubble wall in. They love to swim in the bubbles and I see them wiggling in it--really funny to watch. :D

I know that I didn't answer everything but I have to go. I will check back here later and see what others have to say. Maybe I can add more then.

:lol

hehe yeah I just want to make sure everything runs smoothly!

>I would advise buying the largest tank that you can afford. I am in the US and there are "pet supermarkets" with great deals on tanks. There are online places (but shipping would be pricey).

everywhere I looked they wouldnt' sell tanks other than those 10L ones :( so I went to my pet shop and bought this mammooth of a tank yesterday.

I planned on getting the 30 x 12 x 12 but the 36 x 12 x 12 was only ?3 more so guess which one I got LOL.

Thing is its now sitting at my room and it just looks massive :( I'm scared I overdid it for 3 lil fish. I don't want to spend 5 mins searching for the fish LOL.

>I am not sure why tops are sometimes sold separately--maybe to give the buyer a choice--the very large tanks have "canopies" so that the lights can be up over the top without having to shine through a glass lid.

Guess so.. I ordered mine online cheaper! so *fingers crossed* i'll b happy with what I get

>I would recommend a hang on back filter (the undergravel ones can be really gunky and cause bad bacteria to grow down there) such as a Penquin with a bio wheel. The wheel thing turns and grows beneficial bacteria, you never clean that, only the removable filter pad that goes with it.

I ordered the Fluval one!!! I have a Fluval right now in small one and it looks nice so I just went on with same one since I know it works fine!

It also has 2 cartriges so you can change 1 sponge at a time and the old one can help infest the new one with good bacteria!!!! its so neat :) hehehe I think i'll put my old sponge in new one to help new bacteria grow in new massive tank!

>I have a bubble wall, my fish used to hang out at the top, gulping air until I put the bubble wall in. They love to swim in the bubbles and I see them wiggling in it--really funny to watch.

Mine don't at small one, I plan on putting one in big one since it'll be fun to watch I think :) I think previous owner of this tank had an air pump so i'm going to get that from him since the expenses keep rising and rising!!!!!!

We're now at ?120 , I think i'll stay at that for a while lol going poor. Fish better be happy in new tank or else i'll cook em for lunch hehehe

thanks so much for taking time to reply.. seems noone else was brave enough to post LOL

Lydia

Okay, here comes a little bit more to add -

You help your new filter enormously along, when you put the filter media from your old filter into the new one. That way there is already good bacteria, and the cycling process will take much less time. You still have to test the water for ammonia and nitrites, but we are talking days instead of weeks.

If you only leave for a week, I would say you dont need to buy a automatic feeder for them. It doesnt hurt them to go without food for a week, especially if you have life plants in the tank. Most of those feeders have problems like adding too much food at one time and poluting the tank.

Those nasty snails could have come in with one of your plants, I had the same problem once, after I added a new plant directly into the tank without sterilizing it first. I plugged out snails for weeks!! :)

Archived