New Friend Added To My System

Reef Man

Here is a very interesting animal...a sea hare, sea slug...you can hold him and he just moves along on your hand very gentle critter....

Pics from the acclimation jug to the aquarium...

SS022006.jpg

SS022006a.jpg

SS022006b1.jpg

SS022006c.jpg

SS022006d.jpg

So far so good....glad to have him in the tank!!!!

Edited by Reef Man

No, I don't think you are weird.....OF course I am not sure that I am not weird..... anyway, I do like them..... and they eat all kinds of algae...really love the hair algae...I feed it different types of macro when he comes out to play that is....lots of times I can't find him...he blends in so well.....

He feels like a piece of sirloin before you cook it....but very friendly...will let you handle him with out getting excited at all...very interesting animal to say the least!!!

• 5 months later...

:lol: Ron,I just saw the Sea Slug.He is quite the cutie,for sure! :lol:

I love when you show us new animals,and tell a bit about them-it's such a fun learning experience. :exactly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Fancy80
:) Do they feel like the land slugs? You have a very cute slug Reef Man, but thats definetly not for me..lol! I'm terrified of anything that crawls..lol But I will say that little guy is very cute :)

• 5 months later...
Guest Triple Skeet

I have one of these, they really are awesome. And they really clean up the algae in the tank. Mine is like a vaccuum.

Just be careful not to overhandle it. When they get too stressed out they release toxins that could kill your fish. And if he happens to die make sure you get him out of the water immediately and do a water change.

Hey reef man just wanting to know how the sea hare is doing. I was thinking of getting one for some hair algae we have but I heard they die of starvation in most tanks. If you are feeding him, how often, how much and what kinds of foods.

He is doing fine...but the reason I can keep him without doing much to feed or giving hardly any care other than good water conditions is because I have such a large tank with nearly 400 lbs of live rock.... In smaller systems they will starve... some will take food but other just starve!!!

Okay, I give up. Which end is the head? :blink: And the tall, pointy part sticking up that slopes down....is that his behind????? Definitely an interesting animal!! Well, I guess the important thing is that other sea hares know which end is which! :D

Angela

Okay, I give up. Which end is the head? :blink: And the tall, pointy part sticking up that slopes down....is that his behind????? Definitely an interesting animal!! Well, I guess the important thing is that other sea hares know which end is which! :D

Angela

HehehEHHEeheheh LOL..... Yeah it is a bit hard to tell....the end with the two pointy things sticking up is the eating side...the other larger end is the expelling side!!!

Guest Triple Skeet

The head looks kinda like Shreks head, with 2 ears coming out shaped like bugles. You cant miss his rear because it basically has a tailpipe and there always something coming out of it.

By the way, I have a 90 gallon tank with about 120 lbs. of liverock, and my sea hare and my snails all seem to have no problem eating.

If you worried about your sea hare starving, just use a seaweed clip and drop a nice piece of seaweed in there every couple of days. The fish will eat some of it but the sea hare will definitely finish it off.

Edited by Triple Skeet

If you worried about your sea hare starving, just use a seaweed clip and drop a nice piece of seaweed in there every couple of days. The fish will eat some of it but the sea hare will definitely finish it off.

They will work in some tanks...but I have four very hungry tangs...and they will get it all before any invert could get a piece!!!!

We got ourselves a sea hair to eat the remaining pieces of green hair. First thing the hair does is go to the overflow and lay eggs. Other than that it is doing well eating the hair. I have made arrangements to pass it on to a friend in need after it is done in our tank.

• 1 month later...
Guest Triple Skeet

I just had to that with mine. He wasnt looking very well and my tank has barely any hair algae left.

So I put him in my aunts tank. Hopefully he'll get better because there is plenty of algae in there.

Edited by Triple Skeet