I Don't Believe This

JenW

Hi guys, A couple of weeks ago, i pulled some plants out of my tank and set up an outdoor tub to try to regrow them and today, when i went out to check, i came across this tiny little critter that when i look more closely, appears to be a tiny fry :blink:

I wish I could take a good quality pic but the best i could take was this

DSCN0035.jpg

I couldn't believe it could survive out there but the water is primarily good, no ammonia or nitrites so my question is this, should i keep him out there? Or should I set up my little 5gal and filter? How does a change affect them? He's very energetic out in the tub so should I just continue to change the water out there?

Sheesh, i'm such a novice here and could do with some help :D

Now, will you look at that - a surprise fry! :happydance So, he basically can't be older than 2-3 weeks, right?

How cold does it get out there at the moment? Wait, Australia has summer right now, so no cold? He definetely can survive out there, the plants and small particles in the water provide him with enough nutrients to munch on, and he is a single fry, so there is plenty just for him alone.

The question is, would you rather have him someplace where you can control better how he eats, and even get him a little filtration? How big is that tub he is in now? Maybe if you stick a small sponge filter in there, it'll make him really happy. :) Or you can always get that 5 gl tank and stick a sponge filter in there, preferably one that has been in an established tank already, so its cycled. The move shouldn't stress the fry too much, since you would be using water from his tub right now, without adding any other water at the moment.

Baby, baby, baby..... :lol:

I'd say he's definitely only 2 weeks old if I count how long the plants have been there :D

The temps here are fairly hot right now and the water outside is about 85degrees :blink:

I have a small sponge filter - one of the ones with a little spray bar but I think even this will be too strong for him/her.

He looks so happy out there but i really do want to see how he gets on in the 5gal. I just don't want to mess up the balance - the tub is 25 gallon with no filtration unfortunately.

I think i'll bring him in <talk about indecisive> :D

The thing is - you have filtration! The plants do the filtering, and provide the oxygen for him, at least during the day time. At night they take oxygen, which isn't all that great for the little guy.

A plant isn't enough of filtration for a whole tank, but for a little guy like this its perfect. Maybe you can take a plant into the 5 gl as well? The spray bar sounds a bit too much for the fry though. I don't know what kind of sponge filters you can find in Australia, but here I love those kind...

Hydro sponge filters

They come in different sizes, and are fairly cheap and easy to operate....

Well the good news is I rigged up a small hang on filter (and it's cycled) at the lowest level and covered the intake with clean pantyhose, plus there's an airstone (this is in the 5 gallon)... He's not eating yet (tried the egg yolk) but he's still there and swimming all over the place :D

Now to go and get some fry food :)

Thanks Andrea :heart

:lol: Well go figure!!! Jen's a Grandma! Good for you. :lol: My daughter kept her fry in a tub like that and it was amazing how fast they grew.I can't wait to see this lone baby a little bigger.Any idea who Mummy & Daddy are? :yeah::rofl Congrats!!

It is definately the weather for it here! I have the same problem. I bought for my fry this liquid food which i found good and there is also in the Sera brand a baby food called micopan which looks like tiny baby flakes small enough for them to eat. I also fed mine frozen baby brine shrimp. Does he need any friends? I have a heap here again!

Karen.

If those eggs ever hatch I can tell you what will happen to them - your older fry will eat them! Yes, he definetely will try as hard as he can.

Those guys are just buggers, even at that age. I put once 2 month old shuby fry together with 1 month old ones, and within a couple of hours none of the younger ones were around anymore... Just watch those eggs! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, I'm so glad you told me this Andrea! My one surviving fry is now about a month old and roughly about 4 days ago, about 4 of my new eggs hatched. Do you think I can find even one of them? They were all swimming happily in the 5 gallon and then poof, vanished :blink:

I have more eggs again this week so as a project, i did a massive waterchange in my outside tub (it's turned into a greenwater project now) and placed one of my hardier fish out there. I brought him inside today and placed the new eggs into the tub. Hopefully this will be a good place for them to hatch and spend their first month or so.... My elmer thrived out there this week (after i rigged up a pump) :D

Congrats Grandma Jen.... you must be so proud. haha.

Wow.. I'm so surpised that you were able to see the little guy. Wow... you've got a trained eye that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to get more pics, but they're still so small (like the way I blame them when I haven't read my camera manual to learn how to take clear shots of really small things? :D )... anyhow, here are my only 4. The first one I found in the tub was in the 5 gallon for about 4 weeks, meanwhile I managed to save about 7 other eggs (only 3 survivored) and they were out in the greenwater tub growing big fast so I put them all out there.

Hopefully you can make out the little blips that are my fish :D

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

And this is their tub

DSCN0031.jpg

Hopefully I can get some clearer shots as soon as I figure out how :D

Hi, they are heaps bigger than mine yet were born aournd the same time. Its amazing the difference between raising them indoors and outside. (Mine are inside.) Once my computer stops being too slow, i will post some of mine so you can see the difference. As for what setting on the camera, I use macro, looks like a little flower. It helps when taking close ups. As for what else I have no idea. I would not know what half the settings on my camera mean.

Karen.

Ohhh, so that's what the little flower means :D

I look forward to seeing what your guys look like - and admittedly, they do grow like wildfire out in the green tub. I do have to do 2 x 50% waterchanges weekly but it's a much better place for them and outside, you can just turf the used water into the garden. Speaking of which, the plant i've thrown the water on has never looked better :D

Thanks Riz - the tub is a happy place for them :D

The plants are doing well because I also have a bottle of Seachem's Flourish which does a good job of supplying calcium, magnesium, iron and other nutrients the plants need - and it doesn't harm the fish :D

I'm going to do a waterchange now so will try to take some pics of them with the macro setting, see how they come out ....

:rofl I really hate instructions, especially when presented in 1 point type over roughly 600 pages.... and all without pictures :thud

I'm still trying to work out what they are... or will be when they grow up :D

OK, hopefully this works. I will put the links up for my guys. Some are of my five week olds and the others are five months old. The smaller ones look big, but it is decieving in thepic, they are smaller than yours Jen. They are currently living in my ghost shrimp tank (he died) with plenty of snails for company.

five week old

another five week old

five month old

my biggest five month old

Edited by cludence