Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Simple And Cheap Filter!

Hey, I'm planning on building one for a 300 gal rubbermaid pond. How big should my nnnnnn tub be and will I really need a pump that goes for 3000 gallons an hour?

Thanks, Tabi

Edited by Aftran

Tabi, the same size rubbermaid container filters my 300 gl tub right now, and it does great. I just added a couple more bags of the bio balls, and a few more sponges, thats all. The plants in it actually doing an amazing job, and after a few days you can see all kinds of gunk clinging to the roots of the plants sitting in the more quiet spot of the filter.

The pump runs at around 1000 gl/hour, if I remember right. But even if I would go out and look right now, I wouldn't see much, most of the pump is covered in a thick mat of algae.... :)

:) Thanks a ton Andrea!!!!

I don't think plants are going to be an option for mine because of placement (it will be tucked tightly under a roof), I'm thinking of dressing the pond up to look like a large old well - but I haven't seen the rubbermaid up close and personal yet - so it'll depend.

Anyway, thanks!!!!