How Fast Do Your Fish Eat?

Dreamgoddess

It seems like mine eat very slowly. I think we've all heard feed them as much as they can eat in a set amount of time. I'm feeding Progold and it takes them what feels like forever to eat just one or two pellets. I've been giving them 4-5 pellets each and they eat them all...just not in a couple of minutes. Should I cut back on the amount of progold or do I just have goldfish with manners (they take their time and don't gobble their food :D )?

heh depending on how big your fish are, and how big the progold pellets are (as in whether or not you crunch them up a bit), they can vary in eating speed. as long as they're eating them just fine, i think it's ok. when my fish were little, it would take them a LONG time to eat, so i ended up crunching up their food a bit so they could chewing was a bit easier for them. as long as it doesn't look like they're having a very hard time eating their food, i'd say a couple extra mins for progold is no biggie. :)

(that stuff is HARD too... if you're trying to crunch up a bit in a sandwich bag. haha. i had to cover it with paper towel and use the back end of a stapler so it would actually smush and not put holes in the bag. :lol: i could imagine it takes a while for the goldfish to eat. :D )

I feed my fish Hikari gold and its gobbled up almost the insant it hits the water. They know where the food is dropped down and they're there waiting for it :lol:

heh depending on how big your fish are, and how big the progold pellets are (as in whether or not you crunch them up a bit), they can vary in eating speed. as long as they're eating them just fine, i think it's ok. when my fish were little, it would take them a LONG time to eat, so i ended up crunching up their food a bit so they could chewing was a bit easier for them. as long as it doesn't look like they're having a very hard time eating their food, i'd say a couple extra mins for progold is no biggie.  :)

(that stuff is HARD too... if you're trying to crunch up a bit in a sandwich bag. haha. i had to cover it with paper towel and use the back end of a stapler so it would actually smush and not put holes in the bag.  :lol:   i could imagine it takes a while for the goldfish to eat.  :D )

476742[/snapback]

Do you soak the food? If so your fish shouldn't have a problem eating them. It's also easier to "crunch up" :) Hard food like pellets (this includes sinking food) expand when wet, so I always soak mine first. Imagine their tiny bellies!

My big boys eat quickly even the proglod. The Hikari foods are inhaled like vaccuum cleaners. My small ones I feed less and yes it does take them a bit longer to eat. I usually feed what they can eat in 5 minutes.

Fancy fish will be slower. My fish- all fancy- take forever to eat so even though they pounce they need about 15 or 20 minutes to get a good feed(6 pellets each about-once a day). Usually I do a mini vac after 15-20 mins and theres not much left. :)

How would you define slower? Coz am a bit confused. So they "chew" the food slower or do they respond slowly once you put the fish food in?

I dont think that there should be too much concern. Just make sure that you soak them before feeding :D

How would you define slower?

Both how long it takes for the fish to find the food and how long it takes to chew it all up :) .

mine is like a vacuum-he goes for it as soon as it lands in the tank :lol: he has a BIG mouth and hes so cute when he chews, lol. and often hes waiting for more food even when hes chewing, so if you drop more in there22 go after it while still chewing...

• 2 weeks later...

Fish with manners? Not in my house! :rofl3 The moment the food is in the water or is attempting to sink to the bottom, there it goes. I can always see the sad look in my dojo's eyes when they see the food disappear before they can even get a bite out of it... :tomuch:

Archived