Male In Heat...

Krystalized

My male fantail is in heat (staring) and was recently trying to spawn the other fish.. (I guess, my knowledge isn't too great in this area, I am still learning) -- The other fantail that doesnt have the staring looks rather fat. They are acting normal right now, but if the fish were to have eggs.. I wouldnt even know what they'd look like...

I really don't know what I am trying to ask.. I guess I just wanted to know what the eggs would look like, and will the male fertilize them himself by instinct? -- I have 3 fantails in a 20 gallon tank (i know i need to upgrade sometime soon) -- only one is experience the breeding stars and one looks extra round bellied.

Krystalized, eggs would look either clearish with a small dot inside after a few days (those would be the fertilized eggs), or opaque looking (those are unfertilized), and the latter ones need to be removed, otherwise they might cause fungus and troubles for the fertilized eggs and fry later on. Eggs cling to anything in the tank - glass, ornaments, plants, etc., that is usually a sure fire way that you see eggs. Of course, a hungry adult goldfish trying to gobble up tiny dots that hang around on the bottom is another sure way... :lol:

And yes, males fertilize them per instinct. There are things that can trigger spawning - bigger water changes, drop or raise in temperature, even low pressure systems and full moons. Adding a new adult fish also can cause a spawning frenzy, so does moving into a new environment and the change of water conditions that comes with it.

I got new big koi a few years back (our first koi) from an aging koi keeper who couldn't take care of them anymore, and for 3 full days I did nothing but clean up their tub after they kept on spawning! :thud

I haven't ever seen my fish "milt" or any eggs in the tank. -- I do have a tropical tank though and once my swordtails had babies.. they were so cute.

Thanks for the help. I am just wondering what my other 2 goldies sexes are since only one has the staring on him. -- I am guessing the chubby one that it has been after (or was, it has calmed down) is female. The other one I have no idea.

I am afraid to pull them out and look, I wouldn't really be able to tell anyways.

So if one male is "in heat" that doesn't mean the others if male would be also does it?

Not neccessarily - some males are just generally not interested either because of too young or too old age, or just not interested permanently. And some males never get their stars, but yet still are chasing females. So stars aren't always the giveaway.

And most likely the chubby one is indeef a female, since it has been the one being chased, and has the body shape for it as well.. :)

Well, often you can see it on the belly shape - it tends to be uneven, and sometimes wider on one side than the other. It just looks really plumb and fat. Of course, with a fish like an oranda or a ryukin, that belly looks always like that, so it can be a guessing game.

In spring time, when the water gets warmer, the females carry eggs a lot of times. It is just the time of year for them. As to how often - a healthy and well fed female can lay eggs every 2-3 weeks over a period of a couple of months, even more if the time is right. A Thailand breeder told me once that his females lay eggs during the spring and early summer every 2 weeks! :thud

I have 3 fantails and one of them (the one being chased) is looking rather plump. Not uneven though. I always catch Aubbie (the male that is starring) poking around her butt (i guess trying to make her spawn). The other one is still a wee bit smaller than Aubbie and Fatty (the female), but he also joins in with Aubbie trying to poke around her butt. He/She (the other fish that is poking around)however isn't showing any signs of staring -- If she does lay eggs will they be eaten if don't take them out? ( i feed them at least 2 times a day so they shouldnt be really hungry). As you can see I am new to this and I think it would be spectacular to have some baby goldies.

I looked in my tropical tank one day and there were 2 baby sword tails (tropicals are easier to breed since they are live breeders, correct?) -- If you can give me any advice on what in the world to do with this situation please do. I would love to have baby goldies, but I do not have the room or money for another tank. (I already have 2 tanks, one goldies and one tropicals).

I also saw that you can spawn them yourself, I doubt I should try that. It seems rather traumatic for the fish, and I am not experienced.

Edited by Krystalized

Yeah, it is a bit of a dilemma - on one side its so exciting to experience raising goldfish fry for the first time, on the other hand there is just no space in the house to put them. Before you decide what you would do with fry, maybe its time to look around in your area for a koi or goldfish club, or even a aquarium society, and I am quite sure once you located a club, that there will always be members interested in taking some fish off your hands, and you can be sure that they know the basics of goldfish keeping.

There is also the option of finding a pet store which would be willing to take some, but in that case you never know if the potential owners of your fish will ever take care of them properly. Friends and family are also an option for future goldfish keepers.

Also be prepared that it takes quite some work to keep those little buggers happy and healthy. There should be a pinned topic about basic fry rearing pinned on top of this section. They need a lot more feeding than adults, preferably live food, or fry food as a second choice. To plan ahead it would be great to have a sponge filter already hanging around in one of your other tanks, so its cycled by the time the parents decide to breed.

All in all, it is a great experience, and I am always excited when this time of year approaches, where spawns are most likely.

As to the parents eating the eggs if you don't take them out - thats a big YES!! No matter how much you fed them, they'll always looking for some extras, and a couple of hundred eggs sure sound like a great meal to them. If you have a planted tank where fry could hide out from the parents, there is a slim chance that some might make it, but don't count on it.

You are right about the hand spawning - it is very risky, and should only be tried by experienced breeders who know what they are doing. It needs to be done gently, otherwise damage to the internal organs can easily be done.

Oh, yes, tropicals breed like there is no tomorrow, and they are indeed easier. Its also nice to see that you see the finished product already in hand with the life bearers, while with goldfish fry, or any egg layers, it takes time until you see a little mini goldfish developing. :)

Well both the other fishies still poke around her butt, it's been going on for over a week now... not all the time, mostly in the morning. I look constantly and I haven't noticed anything in the tank. If I do see eggs when should I take them out? How will I know if they are already fertilized (will the black spot already be able to be seen that soon). I need another tank for the fry? I couldn't get breeding net of some sort to put them in, in the tank with the other fish, so they are protected? My tank has fake plants, very realistic and full looking and plenty of them. I had a bad experience with real plants, next time I will find plants that attach to rocks so they are easier to move when cleaning... -- anyways, about the fry (if I even get any) would that be okay? -- Also how long will this chasing go on and will she eventually pop or can they just desengrate in her after time? Just wondering if I should expect her to def pop at some point, she is a fatty, not uneven though.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay you guys and gals. My fishie is still looking fat and one is still having the "breeding stars" -- the other one (i am guessing is male now also, b/c he is chasing the fat female) -- This has been going on for 2 weeks now and they dont do it all the time, but I notice it a lot in the morning and evening. I haven't seen any eggs and I just don't know what to do. They both follow her around with their head in her rear end.. well you know what I mean... She doesnt seem stressed and plays back, but at times it is just as if I can hear her saying "Ew you pervs get off of me already" -- I can't seperate them, no other tank (except my tropical) and no room for another tank. So basically the same thing is still going on, one male is still starring, the female is still fat and the other one is getting in on the chasing action (dont know if it is male or female, but by the way it chases the female I think it is male also even though it doesnt have starring)

:krazy: Won't she ever pop the eggs out of her? Or will they just desenegrate if not stimulated?

Edited by Krystalized

LOL if your not constantly watching you might have missed it! I almost missed it when Lacy laid some of her eggs last night! The boys were chasing her for 2 or 3 days, and last night I posted to the group to find out why her vent looked swollen ( I thought it might be an injury and the boys were just picking at it) and right after I posted I went to go see Lacy and saw 5 little eggs pop out! There were about this big ----> o

and were clear with a white dot in it. I watched for about 45 mintues and only saw about 8 more eggs, which were promply eaten. If I hadnt been watching I would have missed it completly.

you dont understand she has been looking like she is going to pop for weeks now and they are still chasing her........ she is really fat. lol. I have tried zuchinni and peas in case it was constipation, but her pooping is fine.... I look at my tank a lot and things still haven't changed, I check my plants and under ornaments... She is just as big if not bigger than she was 2 weeks ago.. has big 'ol round belly, the other 2 they are chunky too (but fan tails have kinda big bellies) but the other 2 guys bellys hang more, her's just goes out like a big ball.

Well they are still at it. I watch them alot and she is still fat as ever. They chase her a lot.. but give her a break sometimes... I just don't know what to do!!! :krazy:

THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER 2 WEEKS!!!! Goodness... poor fishy.

Edited by Krystalized

Wow, that sure is a long ordeal for the fish! :thud Maybe giving her a rest would be a nice thing right about now - there are tank deviders out there that fit up to a 55 gl tank. She would have her rest, yet still profit from the tank's filtration, and you don't need to get another tank or anything. Then fast her for at least 3-4 days (don't worry, healthy goldfish can handle longer periods of fasting, up to a week is perfectly okay), and see if that belly gets any less.

And if the eggs dont' come out naturally, they can get reabsorbed into the female's body. Although its a more stressful way and longer, and its always prefered to have the eggs out from spawning instead. But yes, they can get reabsorbed.

Well I guess I will get a tank divider. She is still fat as ever. I feed her zucchinni and oranges (as well as reg. goldy food), so I don't think she is consitpated, she has a good diet. I will try fasting her and feeding her nothing but peas or something. -- I haven't seen a single egg, I don't think I can spawn her... So a seperator for a while it wil be...

TY for the advice.... the other fish is starring now too... how long will the males stay "starring" for? It has been about 3 weeks for the older male.

(they all three are still pretty young, and about 3 inches)

That depends on the fish, really, and apparently they like the water they are in and the care you are giving them, since only healthy and happy goldfish get into the breeding mode.

I wouldn't feed the girl for a 3 day period, nothing at all. She will do fine with it, although begging for food all the time. :rolleyes: Then start the pea diet and see what her belly does with it. How is her poop? Long and thick, same color than the food?

oh she is pooping fine.. long and not really thick.. but it is about the color of the food.. a brownish green... depends on what she ate... I just think she is constipated full of eggs.. lol

I'd hate to be her right now. I don't know when I will be near a pet store? Is there a home made divider I can make? (i live an hour away from a pet store)

If you have a craft store, or Walm*rt, in your area, you can find something called plastic aida. It is in the needle work isle, and used for stitching... Here is a picture of one...

0f_1_b.JPG

Its dirt cheap, and easy to cut to size... :)

I don't have a nooppee or craft store around either.. lol.. I live in a rural town about an hour from the city... It sucks :(

I will probably just get that stuff cause it's cheaper... I know one of my friends grandmothers HAVE TO HAVE some of that material somewhere.

Thanks for the help!

Some home imrovement store maybe - Homedepot, ACE hardware? Some small mom and pop store?