Sign in to follow this  
d_golem

Black Male & Red/white Female

This is still a plan, but what colours would I get if I breed a black ranchu with a red/white (more white than red) ranchu?

Hmm, I guess that depends on how stable that black is in the ranchu. Some of those Thai strains are just jet black, without any fading spot on them at all. But even then, I'd guess that you will get mostly red/white fish in any kind of variation, and even the tri colors will eventually fade to red/white. I think that it would be very hard to get a stable black into the line, and you need some patience there. Nothing against a stunning tri color ranchu! :heart

Thx Andrea

My black ranchu is, I guess, Thai ranchu (at least the parents are, he's bred here in Oz according to the LFS). Velvety black with very minor brassiness underneath.

I'm not looking to get any black offsprings though :D just curious what would I get from the two different coloured parents.

One more thing, the red/white ranchu got only one anal fin and the black ranchu got a fused tail (3 lobes instead of 4). Will those traits be passed down to the offsprings?

I'm no breeding expert (now that's the understatement of the year!) but I can tell ya this:

my fantail has a single anal fin and my ryukin has a double.

I now have 2 fry that remain--one with a double anal fin, the other's is single. :blink:

I'm no breeding expert (now that's the understatement of the year!) but I can tell ya this:

my fantail has a single anal fin and my ryukin has a double. 

I now have 2 fry that remain--one with a double anal fin, the other's is single. :blink:

474412[/snapback]

Ah ic....looks like I'm gonna get some interesting mix out of those two then :D

Some pics of the planned breeding pair :) . Both are pet store culls, but still of decent standard. They're still young & about 3 1/2 inch long each and still got many more months ahead of them before ready for breeding.

The red/white ranchu is undoubtedly a female, but the black ranchu I'm not so sure. His anal vent is an "outie" (when I checked it) meaning female, but the body shape and the thickness of the leading pectoral ray says male. I guess I have to wait if he got tubercles comes maturity.

pairside1.jpg

pairside2.jpg

pairside3.jpg

pairtop1.jpg

pairtop2.jpg

Riz! They are a beautiful couple. How I love ranchus! :heart I hope they make whoppee soon! :lol:

Thx glitterfish. I really wanna get at least one tri-colour ranchu from the spawn :lol:

OoO... they're pretty!!! hehe i also hope they have babies!!! haha they'd be such cute little chubsters! :D:heart

g'luck riz!!! i hope your black one is a boy!!! :lol: