Sign in to follow this  
nichjake

Updated Fry Photos

Okay, my fry are now a month and a half old but many aren't growing much. Three have taken off and a re guppy sized but the others haven't grown much. I feed them Hikari first bites. Any idea why they aren't growing?

Anyways, heres some pics.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/nic...05/100_1854.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/nic...05/100_1850.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/nic...05/100_1842.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/nic...05/100_1841.jpg

some are a couple weeks younger by the way, so they are definatly smaller but the majority of them are month and a half.

hmmm, I hate to admit it but it could be a possibility. :( My parents are in charge of their care because I'm 100 miles away at college and I'm afraid they're to young and fragile still for the trip. They insist that they're feeding them at least 3 times a day but I'm not entirely sure. I'll have to harp on my parents to feed them more. I trust my dad to do what I tell him but my mom, well shes another story. ;)

Cute! I've used a breeding net too, but I had a lot of troubles. Since you have so many fry I think they need more space.

Hmm space could be the problem too why ur fry are not growing as they suppose to grow

Cute! I've used a breeding net too, but I had a lot of troubles. Since you have so many fry I think they need more space.

473308[/snapback]

What kind of troubles did you have? Also how much space do you think they'd need? I've got a five gal hex and a 30 gal hex that are empty. I'm not sure my parents would allow the 30 gal to be set up agian, they complained like it was the end of the world when I set it up the first time ;) The net that they're in is in a 55 gal tank with lots of filtration so they've got good water flow through the net and the water quality is good. To tell the truth I'm almost afraid to move them. They are doing so much better than the fry I had last year :(

Well, they died... :( That was my first try. This time I put my fry in a box, about 10 of your gallon, and a sponge filter. Now I've moved them to a real tank with a real filter, they are 6 months now.

Welll, Nichjake, there are some nice babies in there! :happydance

It is perfectly normal, to have fry growing at different rates. What I would do at that stage now is separate the big ones from the small ones. Just get another breeding net and put the bigger ones in there.

The bigger ones need more food to keep them going, thats why they probably eat most of the food that is supposed to be for the smaller ones. With the bigger ones gone, the smaller fry will start growing, since they have more food available then.

A 55 gl sounds pretty good for them. How many adult fish are in the 55 gl? :unsure:

Well, it's just my experience that the fry net causes trouble. I started with 5-6 fry and they died one after another. The only surviving one, Maxi, died yesterday, a little more than a year old, and he was stunted.

But separating them is a good idea! Your fry looks very good!

How many adult fish are in the 55 gl? :unsure:

473365[/snapback]

Way too many :( but its the best I can do for them at the moment. Come spring, as soon as the ground gets soft, I'm going to dig them a nice huge pond (as big as my parents will allow and help me with) There are 5 (all over six inches) adults and Leo who is juvenile but quickly approaching 4 inches. I know its bad but it's all I've got. During the summer they live in a pond that was big enough for the five adults but now theres more than five so they need a bigger one. I would put the two smallest in my 30 gal. hex but I don't have any spare filters for it :(

Guest yabbie

I think it will be the quality of the water more than the amount of food they're getting. Maybe step up the water changes?

They look fine to me tho, perfectly normal.