Abnormality On My Fish

Dory

A while ago I saw this wierd thing developing on my fish's anal fins. It looks like the veins are swelling(not red), sort of like there are bubbles inside. Just today I spotted this on her dorsal fin as well and decided that it didn't look quite right. I must admit I have been a little slack with the water changes recently, but today I changed some. If you have any idea what this is please let me know! I am in a big rush and will post more details later. Thanks!

Hi Dory. :)

If what your seeing is only on the leading ray (the first "spike" in the fin) Then its a completely normal thing to see. What your seeing is a spot where the ray broke and deviated a little bit. Kinda like scar tissue. MANY goldfish have them and you'd be hard pressed to find one without them........ ;)

Now that I've been watching her more closely, I've noticed that she's been a little lethargic lately, and may have been clamping her fins a tiny bit too( unless it's just my imagination and i'm just being overprotective :rolleyes: ), but she perked right up at feeding time. No new fish in the tank or anything like that, but I will be adding another after she finishes her QT soon if all goes well. there are only two fish in the tank right now, including her. Yesterday I changed approximately 60% ish of the water. I was also wondering if a little salt might do some good?

Toothless- It is only the leading ray, but it's on her anal fins too and it wasn't there before, could it have just happened recently? if so, what could have caused it? thanks for your quick help!

Edited by Dory

Well, growing would be a good reason. Kinda like the rings on a tree? Perhaps they have something to do with growth spurts or something similar.....

All in all, they are definitely a very regular thing to see. ;)

In my honest opinion, for a quarentine procedure without the aid of a scope, I would suggest that a 0.3% salinity along with Parasite Clear be run. The salt should be run for at least 2 weeks and the parasite clear should be dosed every other day, after a 30-40% waterchange, for 7-8 days total. Then, the salt should be continued for the 2-3 week suggest salting. Then, the water can be leeched of salt and the last week or two you should observe for signs of parasites.

Thats my suggestion in a nutshell. I can Answer any questions you may have.... :)

Well, she has been growing lately, and she's not acting quite so sick as before the water change. But I did just notice today that it is happening to her tail, too!

What about the other fish in the tank though? I can't Qt her in a seperate tank, because I don't have a spare one and getting another tank, or even another rubbermaid tub is out of the question, unfourtunatly.if I am using meds and nothing is wrong with the other one it won't hurt her will it? I'll definatly put the salt in, though. the dose to reach 0.3% is one tablspoon per five gallons repeated three times, right?

thanks! :)

Edited by Dory

Oh, you have a new fish and its in the ank with her already? Well, a quarentine period isnt a reality then.

If somehting goes wrong and you HAVE to use a medication, you would do best to treat in another container. Otherwise the cycle can be set back by the meds and the water quality would lessen...... :unsure:

0.3% salt is 3 level teaspoons aquarium salt (doc wellfish) per gallon. Add one teaspoon per gallon once a day for three days. then stop adding salt unless your doing a waterchange. Then, ONLY add enough salt for the amount of gallons your adding back to the tank. ;)

I have the new fish in Qt in my ten gallon, and two fish in my 55gallon, one of the ones in the 55 g is the one that is sick(her name is Dusty), and since the ten gallon tank is the QT tank, I really can't QT Dusty.

O.k, 55g tank= 55 teaspoons salt (gosh, I'm not even sure if I have that much salt!)

the thing, what ever it is, is swelling more so I can see it better. It sort of looks like there are little spikes branching out perpendicular to the ray. Wierd.

I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid, as I so often am lol. It is just not what "normal" looks like, and as I've only had goldfish for about two years I'm relativly inexperienced and have had alot of problems with my fish so when something looks abnormal I assume something is wrong. :) I wish I could post a picture, but A)I never have and don't know how, and B) It would be really hard to get her to hold still enough to get my camera to focus on something that small.

I'm not sure that it is the ray itself, now that you mention it, it actually looks more like it's right next to the ray. Also, when I was dosing the salt I found out I didn't even have enough for the first dose! I'll have to buy some more.

Thanks! :D:thanks