Sign in to follow this  
Bonkers

Would You Rather...?

Buy a goldfish from a baby, or buy it full-grown?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Buy a goldfish from a baby, or buy it full-grown?

• I would rather buy it from a baby, babies are so cute, and then I know I raised him/her myself!
    • I would rather buy a baby cause they are much much cheaper.
    • I would rather buy him/her older, so then I can see what they look like full grown, and I won't be disappointed by a small wen, or not as egg shaped as hoped, etc!
    • I would rather buy him/her older, cause they are stronger, and a little easier to care for.
    • I don't really care, I just buy whatever catches my eye.

I'm just curious about what ya'll think. I like buying my fish from babies, when they are so tiny, and watching them grow, but sometimes I feel disappointed if they aren't as "well-bred" as I had hoped...like not as egg-shaped especially...some of my fantails are shaped almost like comets!

Good question. I always like what catches my eye. If I am looking for something specific then I would love to start out as a baby and see him or her grow. But it really boils down too the individual fish.

I have bought very little to medium. I haven't bought any of the really big ones....yet ;) I just get the one that catches my eye and runs over to talk to me the most! :D

I have bought from little to big--It makes little difference to me--in the end ALL of them act like jumping puppies when it is time to feed them :))

tiny one are what caches my eye and soon all babby gf's will take over the world!!!

Guest She_elf

What I love most about having pets or growing plants is the process of watching them grow! I will love them deeply no matter how they turn out to be! I am like a Hobbit! :D I share a love for things that grOW...

I said whatever catches my eye! I can go to get a particular type of fish & get there only to see something TOTALLY different!! And I am SUNK if they do that little wiggily "pick me" dance!! :blink:

Guest mi2tom

I normally buy what catches my eyes... it's like love at first sight... If none catches my eyes I will go for the babies... they are so frigging cute :heart

Edited by mi2tom

:) I buy what catches my eye!

Usually fish that catch my eye tend to be a little bigger and again it really depends on the fish! :heart

Definitely from babies- gotta love seeing them grow, and the pride of knowing you raised 'em :D

i would reather buy a fry then you know how old it is and that you have gave it the best possible start in life

Babies!!!! :heart:heart:heart:heart:#1

Oh, I love to buy the little babies. Like a few others here I love to nurture them and watch them grow. It's so rewarding, and I love them no matter how they turn out. Maybe one day I'll get a few special show GF, but right now I'm happy as a clam with all my babies. :heart:goldfish::heart

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Yeppers I am a baby fanatic! and it is cool watching them grow, especialy when you have pictures and can see their development.

I buy all sorts. Like most people here whatever appeals to me most regardless of size.

I must say though from my experience that buying a medium size fish and getting it to full size is a lot more difficult than buying a small fish and getting it to medium size in a home aquarium. The smaller they are the quicker they grow too so you can enjoy watching them grow in a shorter timespan.

I typically get baby fish, I like bonding with them and watching them grow and knowing that they got the way they are because of the care and effort I put into them. Sometimes it is tempting to buy larger fish because I get a little impatiant if my fish don't grow faster. :)

I picked number 2, but #1 also applies. All of my goldies were bought as "medium" or "small", mainly for cost reasons. Over the nearly 3 years that I've had my goldies, I've enjoyed watching them grow up. Especially my orange and white common, as well as my comet and shubunkin. They were so tiny when I bought them.

I love the babies! I just think it is so much fun to raise something myself. I have seena couple of really big Gf that I would LOVE to have, but they are so far out of my price range, and there is no where I could put a tank big enough to hold even just one of them. Someday . . .

i just buy whatever catches my eye!!

I like babies because I like seeing them grow,because theyre cute,and bcause theyre cheaper.

Well, I voted for buying the "grownups," but I have to qualify that by saying that I buy the bigguns cuz I have a pond and the babies would get lost! Although, I have been playing around with the idea of pulling out the old aquarium and getting some fancies cuz I love them and I can't put them in with the comet and the shubunkin, not only cuz they would eat all the food, but also cuz there's just not enough room for more. :)

Have to have my babies! They are adorable, and, like you said, CHEAPER! But I have to know how old they are and have pride in raising them from babies! :heart 'em! :exactly