Sick/injured Star?

jsrtist

A couple days ago I noticed an open, raw-looking patch on my chocolate chip star. It looks as if his skin has been eaten away in this one area. The patch has not grown or changed in about 3 days, and he is moving and eating normally. I dont have any shrimp or fish that would bother him. I have a couple small hermits, a firefish, a mandarin, and some tiny bumblebee gobies. The tank has been running about a year and thats when I got Starfish. He has been fine ever since.

I was just wondering if this was a disease, or injury, or what I could do about it. I cant get into my reef central account and was hoping someone here might have some insight!

10005962dm.jpg

10005957kv.jpg

Thank you for that link, that was really informative. i still cant figure it out though; most of the problems on that page were with newly bought stars and I have had mine just about a year now.

He doesnt seem the least bit bothered and is feeding and walking around so I guess I wont worry too much about it just yet. Hmm.

Thanks for the reply! I cannot imagine what may have injured him?the only thing I could think of is a pistol shrimp. I hear it from time to time but noticed recently that both of my hingebeak shrimp disappeared. I first saw the pistol shrimp about a year ago and he was maybe 1/2 an inch. Could he have grown big enough since that time that he could hurt my star?

I have a mandarin too who is my pride and joy of that tank. Anything that could injure the star could injure her. :unsure:

You know, that is a complete possibility. I have seen him creeping over it before but figured if it was too hot he wouldnt climb on it. It is behind a powerhead and prefilter but he does still get to it. I will look into getting one of those plastic screens to go around it. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

I did a good water change the other day and just bought a new powerhead, but so far he seems the same. He is still just as active and hungry as always so he doesnt seem too bothered by it!

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry I hadnt seen this sooner! Eek. Well my little star is still hanging in there but his spots look no better. In fact, they may even be worse now. I was really leaning toward a bacterial infection of some sort but by this time my thought is it would have spread much more quickly and he would probably be dead. He is still cruising and eating just fine.

I have wondered about dabbing something like peroxide or PP on there to see if that may help heal the open wound. I really thought that if it was just a burn that it would have healed by now. My water quality is still good in spite of a nasty cyanobacteria outbreak. Do you think there is any relation there? I have been doing frequent, large water changes but am going to step it up to maybe twice weekly 25% changes to get rid of the cyano.

I just feel bad that he is not getting any better.

The only relationship could be nitrates....inverts...stars are more sensitive to nitrates.....so that might be a problem...but from what you have posted I don't see a nitrate problem....Phosphates are also hard on inverts....especially stars....

From the pictures it still looks like an injury of some sort....

Edited by Reef Man

Yeah, absolutely no nitrates and very, very low phosphates. I am wondering too if it is an injury. It sure does look like he wrapped around the heater! (It is now behind a powerhead to keep him from climbing on it). Do you have any idea at what level the phosphates become dangerous? Mine was barely testing on the lowest color.

I will just continue to keep up on the water changes and hope he improves, poor thing. I am attached to him. He was half the reason I got the tank. :)

Do you have any idea at what level the phosphates  become dangerous? Mine was barely testing on the lowest color.

501609[/snapback]

You should be fine on both trates and phates.... It looks like an injury....and that could take some time to heal.... Do you have an updated picture so we could see if he looks close to the same????

Oh, thats a good idea! I will get a good pic of him tomorrow to post and we can see if there is a difference. I just did a large water change and am going to test the phosphates again tomorrow just to be safe. Thanks for your input.

Okay, here is the pic from just a little while ago:

10008991rs.jpg

It sure doesnt look good to me. My friend earlier was telling me that stars do actually take a long time to heal from injuries.