Goldfish Treats

Lynn

:ymmu I read on here some where that you can and should feed your GF some rice, peas and other veggies. Can you tell me how to start them on these new treats. I don't want to make anyone ill :ill

Well, i know about peas and spinach...

Peas: Put them in a microwave with some weater, keep them in until they are soft. Peel the skin off, and make them into little pieces.

Spinach: Boil some water in a kettle, and chop the spinach up finely. Then out the spinach in the boiling water, and wait till it is very soft. Sometimes you may find, you havent left it long enough. Only give it to them if it is SOFT or they wont eat it.

~Nick

Goldfish love variety in their diet and will positively love just about nay fruit or vegetable you give them, although they do all have their own individual tastes so it is a case of trial and error. Peel or shell any veg or fruit with skin, and soften by cooking gently (without salt) if hard like potato or swede. ALso make sure you chop it tiny or just put ina chunk on a vegetable clip for them to nibble on. Mine love Romaine lettuce, swede, peas, orange (cut a slice and float it or stick on a veggie clip), sprouts, tomato and banana. They also try any thing we have in at the time.

As for rice, go sparingly with things like that and make sure it is very thoroughly cooked as it could swell inside them. I ahve given mine a grain of rice each in the past and they enjoyed it. They've also had tiny bits of pasta which they loved, cheerios and shreddies! I try to stick with fruit and veg mostly though as this is more natural for them but other things dont hurt occsaionally. Mine even like cheese and prawns!

Just remember to only add as much as they can eat and remove any leftovers fairly quickly as foods like this will disintegrate in the water fairly quickly.

Guest Luke Anderson

*dairy products cannot be digested properly by goldfish and should never be fed...

As fishyfan said go easy on the carbs, as goldfish cannot digest them very well, and since there is already some things like wheat in most comercial foods imo adding these things shouldn't be usually done, just imo.

If you really must feed them feed whole grains (also try wild rice which is not actually real rice, but is very healthy and high in protein), rather than things like white rice as it is such a high glycemic food, and is just like feeding them plain sugar.

When feeding treats don't forget about protein filled healthy goldfish foods like frozen bloodworms and krill. it is actually a good idea to feed things liek these ona very regualr basis :)

Thanks for all the chioces. I will try most all of them. I have the freezed dried worms, but they don't seem to like them. The worms get suck up in the filter. I bake some potatos last nite. I will try one of them :lol

i tried the little frozen blocks of krill with my goldies, (put in cup w/ tank water & let it dissolve before pouring in) and they barely touched it. the only thing it seems to get them is the orange slices. i have not tried peas tho b/c my family hates them and so my mom always for gets to buy them for me hehe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They can eat any kind, except canned peas which are too high in salt and sugar.

Frozen or fresh peas are good - just lightly boil, de-skin and mush them before feeding.

Other veggies most fish love (all softened first) are broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, carrots and zucchini. You can also feed fruits - orange, lime, strawberries, raspberries, banana, plum, apple, cherries - and salad stuff: cucumber, tomato, lettuce etc. Anything really!

• 5 months later...

There are a number of fresh foods out there, you can feed your goldfish, sometimes they won't eat or like them. But since there is so many, they are bound to like some. Give them only as a treat, because uneaten food will polute your aqaurium.

Tangerine Sections - peel and skin the sections

Orange Sections - peel and skin the sections

Lime Sections - peel and skin the sections

Grapefruit Sections - peel and skin the sections

Banana Lumps - peel banana and mush into small bite sized pieces

Peeled Grapes - wash and peel the skin off the grape

Washed ( No Peticides) Romaine Letteuce - wash and put on what's called a veggie clip. You can find these in most pet-stores. Just clip it on and attach to a glass side in the aquarium.

Boiled and Skinned Green Peas - non-salted and frozen in packages will do fine. You just have to boil them up, for about 10 minutes or until soft. Then pop them out of their skins and drop in the aquarium.

Chopped Apple Slices - peel the apple and cut into small pieces.

Freeze Dried and Dehydrated Seaweed

Dried Brine Shrimp

Live Brine Shrimp ( Best Newly Hatched)

Freeze - Dried Krill

Live Tubidex Worms

Freeze- Dried Tubifex Worms

Live Earthworms ( Only Give if they are found in ground without pesticides, and always wash in cold running water before feeding or put in a paper towel for two days and let the earth come out of it?s system) - my suggestion is to cut the worm up as well

Finely Shredded Chedder Cheese

Chopped Shrimp

Chopped Clam

Chopped Lobste

and small Pieces of un - seeded watermelon!

All very nutritious and delicious.

Archived