Looks Like Ich

kila

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 30

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? PH8

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.4

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

20 UK gallons running for 5 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

2 filters, both Italian brands, one small with just one sponge inside and one very large cannister biological filter (covers the side wall of the aquarium) has ceramic rings, filter floss and a sponge.

How often do you change the water and how much?

Once a week, 50%

How many fish in the tank and their size?

2 Fancies, Moor is about 2.5 inches without tail and the Fantail is about 2 inches.

2 Apple Snails.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Maresca Aqua water conditioner

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Gel Food, flakes, sinking pellets, peas.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

For the first time ever...about 6 tiny white spots on the gills (on the Moor), long white stringy poo for both.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

Seems a bit more lathargic than usual (the Moor).

I'm getting so frustrated with sickness and my little guys. I've only had them for about 5 months but it seems to be one illness after the next..or maybe it's the same parasite that I'm just not killing.

Last night my Moor stated to develop 3 tiny white spots on one of his gills. Then this morning I noticed 2 more on his other gill. They are teeny but I guess it must be Ich. The Fantail isn't showing any signs of spots yet but both of them have long white stringy poo.

2 weeks ago they had a week long salt treatment at 0.3% for long white stringy poo. They were fine after that but this is the first time ever I have seen Ich. I thought Ich could only be introduced by new fish, plants or live foods. Nothing new has gone in there only a new Apple Snail and I'm sure that they can't carry parasites (or so they say!).

Although I made a Gel Food for them last week. Could that have contained a parasite.....here's what I used...

Kila's Gel Food

2 cloves of garlic

1/4 of a red pepper

1 glass of peas (frozen)

1/2 glass of spinach (frozen)

1/2 glass of parsely

1 small tin of tuna (in water)

1 small tin of sardines (in water)

1 crushed Multi Vitamin Tablet (no zinc)

1 crushed B Complex Tablet

1 desert spoon of fish flakes

2 desert spoons of Daphnia

5 sheets of gelatin

Could something in that have given the Ich?

I'm just back from the LFS and got an Ich treatment. I can see the snails are thinking..."what we have to get out..again??!!!"

I want to try this instead of salt. I've always used salt and if it's the same parasite it ain't being killed. It says to dilute 5ml with every 100kg of water (is 1 kg of water 1 litre??) once a day for 3 days, then to change a 1/3 of the water on the 4th day........when treating Ich isn't the treatment supposed to last a week after the last spot? Aghghgh!!!

I'm at my wits end. Sorry for such a long post but I'm just desperate for these guys to go at least 2 weeks without an illness. I really love them.

The instuctions don't mention lights on or off, temperature change or anything other than what I stated.

What should I do to clear this parasite once and for all.

Thanks guys

:sick

that's what i was thinking at first too... but then she said they were only 2.5 inches... so i got confused. hehe. :D

::edit:: i was under the impression that goldfish weren't "mature" until they were a little bigger and perhaps a little older?

I notice you are using vitamin tablets. i dont know much about the feeding of them but have you checked you can use the tablets as they are for humans right?

I might be wrong but human tablets have different things in them that i would think might upset the gut of fish.

Hope someone can help with that but are you using fish vitamins or human vitamins?

They are small for breeding stars but I would have thought possible as a lot of fish are probably stunted before we buy them.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Nero (Moor) has had blue breeding stars for over 2 months now but only on his pectoral fins. It'd be great if this was all it was on his gills. How will I know? Will it be safe to wait and see if he gets more. I don't know how to tell the difference between them and Ich.

Yes, they are human vitamins. I read on another site that they are safe as long as they don't contain zinc but I'm unconviced and am going to chuck it all and re-make minus the vitamins.

I'll certainly try to get you a picture right now. They are tiny though and my camera isn't the best...however I'll try.

I feel so relieved that this mightn't be Ich. I'd be delighted to hold off medicating.

I agree that 2 1/2 inches is a little small for a male goldfish to get breading stars. BUT... Some male fish will get them when they're small.

Here's a photo of a little black moor that is living in my 90ga. This little guy is less than six months old and his body isn't even 2" long but he's clearly showing breading stars on his pectoral fins and gill covers. I think he matured quickly because he's the only male currently living with a 8" long female black moor that drops eggs once every six weeks or so all year long. Ignore the other white dots in the photo besides the ones on his gill covers and pectoral fins... They were eating when I took this photo and there's some stuff floating in the water.

Andysmall.jpg

That's EXACTLY what he has! Oh I am so relieved I really am.

He's had those blue stars on his pectoral fins for a couple of months now and I didn't realise that that they also occured in tiny white dots on the gill coverings. You learn a new thing.....eh?

I will keep a seriously close eye on him to make sure that no more occur elsewhere.

Thank you all so much guys. I appreciate your help more than I can say.

I had just finished taking 15 photos of him..all of them came out rubbish and dark. You can't see the white dots at all (your pic is fabulous and clear Bak2it). You can bearly even make out his pectoral breeding stars.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/red...Immagine730.jpg

Thanks again. XX

Phew! I'm relieved for you as well Kila.

Hope the bottom sitting and white poo clear up for you as well. Daphnia though good I think should only be given once a week as a treat as it works a bit like a laxative.

It took a WHOLE bunch of photos to get that one. I took the pictures because I was going to do a post asking if anybody else had male fish that got breading tubercles so young. My other male fish is a ryukin that didn't get breading tubercles until he was over a year old and 6" long.

He's a beautiful Moor.

Our little men must want to experience the pleasures in life a little earlier than others....and who can blame them!!!

Thanks again. I can go out and relax now. I had forseen a night of moving unhappy snails and medicating water along with manically watching for changes!!

Archived