Healthy Fish

bubblegoose

I just recently bought a new fish, and currently have the little guy in a small 5-gallon quarantine tank. I'm doing water changes every day or two and I've also got a filter on the tank.

The fish was distressed when I brought him home, sitting on the bottom of the tank and not doing much, and showed signs of ick. I brought the salt level up to 0.3% and the ick disappeared within a few days. The fish appears prefectly healthy now, swimming around and eating normally. (note: the salt is still at 0.3%)

My question has to do with his poop, as I've noticed that some of the poop I see in his tank is white. It doesn't trail behind him, and isn't really long and stringy (though I've noticed a few pieces that may be). It looks like normal poop, only white. I've also noticed normal looking poop as well. I've been giving him the same food as I give my other fish (Hikari pellets), and her poop is always dark brown.

I also fed him some peas and spinach, and he pooped out dark green normal looking poop...so he's definitely no constipated.

Could he have a bacterial infection?

Is it possible I'm not feeding him enough?

What other things can cause white poop?

Thanks for the help!

You could try him with a round of anti-parasite food and see if that helps. There are several available, one is available in stores (Jungle Anti-Parasite food).

Sometimes fish that haven't been fed well for a while will poop white. This usually corrects itself once the fish is on a good diet. How long have you had him?

I agree with Val. :D

On a side note, make sure you treat a full 7 days past seeing any ich on the fish. This is so important, those buggers can be hiding and reinfect the fish.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help!

I've had him for about a week and a half now.

I will keep treating him for another few days or so, as the ick disappeared about 4 days ago. Thanks for the advice.

I'll also try and get my hands on some medicated food, but for some reason the pet stores close by (in Montreal) are pretty poorly stocked in fish care products.

Thanks again!

In that case, I would just keep an eye on him for a week or so. Keep him on a good varied diet, and see how his poop looks.

If he continues to have long stringy white poop, you can either treat with the anti-parasite food (as I mentioned before) or use Jungle Parasite Clear tablets. These will also treat internal worms and parasites. I have found these two products to be quite mild on fish, yet effective.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted on your new fish's progress :)

Thanks Touchofsky!

I will definitely be keeping an eye on him...as I feel like he may still be scratching some, and I don't think he's fully out of the clear. I'll let you know if he seems to be getting worse.

What are your feelings of Maracyn? I' ve got some left over from a past fish and was wondering how it compares to the Jungle Cure.

PS. I just noticed you're from Ontario....I am an Ontarionian as well! Though I'm currently in Montreal, I'm originally from London. Nice to meet you!

PPS. I also just noticed a long stringy white poop with bubbles trailing behind the little guy. Any thoughts on that?

Maracyn treats bacterial infections while the Jungle Parasite Clear will treat a range of parasites, including internal worms and flukes. You may want to treat him with the Parasite Clear since that will take care of whatever the salt treatment may have left behind. Maracyn doesn't kill parasites and isn't really appropriate under these circumstances.

That is neat that you are from Ontario originally. I spent some time in London when my mother was in hospital there receiving a liver transplant. It is a very nice city :)

Archived