Sign in to follow this  
Sorsha

A Diary Of Raising Fry W/ Photos!

amazing article! hows little ones doing? how is the one with no tail? does he have a name yet?

Guest simplygold

nice one I really enjoy this...great help....have a nice time and all the best :)

Guest Halloween

Ah! Your're back! Pics of your little tail-less friend!?!?! :please

:goodjob Very nice topic. I think I read somewhere that you had to euthanize the tail-less one? Sorry to hear about that. Your fish are very pretty. Nice fry!

Actually, I didnt have to euthanize the one without a tail!

He is still doing well, Im sorry I havent posted photos of him. He still swims around, though at times gets worn out. but overall he loves his other goldie buddies even though he is only about 2.5" long and his brothers and sisters are over 7". But, he has a healthy appetite and Ive yet to see him sick.

Guest dragonlady

FANTASTIC THREAD! :bingo:

I am even more excited to have my own batch of mixed breeds now! :)

I have a female Shubunkin that was being chased by a male Red Capped Oranda and an orange Fantail in our main tank (65 gal) and she was getting pretty heavy with eggs (very plump) so I decided to set up a breeding tank in another room (more quiet). The female and the Oranda are in a 20gal tank and he has stopped chasing (I picked the Oranda because they are both around the same age, 3+ years, whereas the Fantail is new to the tank and only a couple of inches long). The female is about 6inches from nose to bum and the Oranda is probably 4-5 inches not including the tail. Will they resume once they get accustomed to the tank? Did I miss my window of opportunity? She seems to be getting slimmer, is she dropping eggs and I just don't know it cause they eat them before I see them? I have a mat in the tank and a couple of fake plants. I also have riverstones at the bottom, but after having read this thread and seeing all your pictures I am wondering if the rocks were a bad idea. :blink: I could try to post some pictures if you need them for the tank set up.

you've said in this thread that one should lower the water temp to 68F but I am unsure how to "lower" the water temp. It's sitting at 72F right now. Should I drop some ice cubes in there once in a while? Do they sell "coolers"? :blink:

Sorry for the million questions! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Edited by dragonlady

Guest Shiollie

Sorsha, I am new here and this is my first post. I just wanted to say Thank you very much for this post, I now know that the fry I am raising are truley Goldfish . I just dug my pond 2 months ago and I didnt think that it was balanced enough for the fish to spawn. When I first saw the eggs I thought they were from a frog, but after hatching they did not look like tadpoles, then I thought of the minnows and just went on that assumption, but they didnt really look like them either... and then I found your post and said.."hey!! what are they doing with my babies!"

Long story short ( I know too late :blink: ) I now know the approx. age and how they should develop, mine are around 8 days and they are my joy in watching them ... they are so used to me staring at them that they come up to the glass to stare at me!

Thanks again, Beverly

congrats on your fry shiollie :) we love pics here at koko's so pics please :please :

Dragonlady:

But i just checked the board, and Im sure you already figured out how to drop the temps...

but a good way to start the goldies into getting in the mood so to speak is to do a very large water change, sometimes as much as 75%.

I havent tried to add ice. instead take your tap water make sure it is very cold and dump it in, that should be all you need to help drop your temps.

the combo of lower temps, and water flow help to induce them to spawn. you might also want to try immediately feeding them.

I know i cant seem to keep mine from breeding! goodness!

email me if i can help you with anything else :)

Guest skyrocket

thanks for the post i have looked at the post to help me, try and raise my own fry, here in england this is the first time i have had goldfish type fry so i am hoping to get a few new ones.

it is going to be interesting to see what they turn into as

i have 5 shubunkins

5 sarassa comets

3 black and red goldfish.

and finally 2 koi, one of which is my pride and joy as had her since she was small now she medium sized and lovely fish.

i am thinking i might get some cross breds what do you think ?

Oh, wow. The changes are amazing. Wonderful post, thank you. ^_^

This thread is awesome there is nothing like raising the fry of fish you bred. I have bred convicts in the past and even though they breed like rabbits it was fun raising them.

Brilliant thread, brilliant photos. Thanks a lot for sharing! I hope I get to raise some of the fry next time my goldies decide to spawn (they did it recently but I was at the university when it happened and my family did not know what to do). =)

Guest tiggerssprings

I am starting to get a bit concerned my fry hatched sometime in november I think and were doing really well until recently I have had 2 die for no reason at all. They are about 1 inch long now and not sure if I can put them back into the tank with there parents.

amazing... makes me want to breed my shubunkins, but it also makes me realize how time consuming raising fry is.

WOW great job...

:goodpost

i know this post is very old.. but the information offered by yourself is priceless. i enjoyed reading "thoroughly" your post and am feeling like, perhaps i can do this too..

as soon as my work load decreases later this year, i think i may give it a shot. i've saved your post to my favourites xxx

so cute!!!

I still have one of Sorsha's "babies" from this post!!

Edited by Jeana727

This is great to see I have week old fry and some just hatched from another pair for my first time so i was looking for some shots to know how they will develop in the upcoming days and weeks. Thanks!

This post was great! I have been looking all over for pics and info. Thanks for taking the time to make this!

As everyone has already said, awesome post. I will use this as a reference when I get started :]

Wow! Fry look so different from mature goldfish! I must bookmark this for when I get into breeding. And the pictures are so clear! I envy your camera. ;)

If you use a laser pens irradiation, the goldfish eggs body will be transparent.Beautiful and luminous.

Edited by WadeHard

Time for another update!

This one is first, getting close to 6 months now and has developed his breeding stars:

percy2.jpg

This is my favorite little girl from the second at 93 days today:

age93_.jpg

This is my favorite little guy from the third at 82 days today:

age82_.jpg

What do you mean by breeding stars? I am clueless