Sign in to follow this  
Sorsha

Too Many Babies!

So we all know my little miracle baby :-D

This is him now at 3 months old:

3months.jpg

Then, we remember as of the 16th of this month I had a whole new set of babies!

Approximately 20 of them.

this is them now at 14 days:

Day14_3.jpg

Day14_2.jpg

Day14.jpg

THEN, i had noticed mroe eggs on my filters, so i was going to be smart and rinse my filters every day. SO i did, then i noticed that i had moved a small sword in with the new fry and someone i saw a one day old fry move! SO, i scurried around and i checked my filters, and sure enough, there they were in the filters, not on the cartridges but swimming around in the water!!!!!!!!

SO, here they are some of the about 25 of them, only 1 day old as of the 27th of this month:

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

AND then, yesterday, i had a bunch of eggs on the leaves of my swords! that was the 29th! :krazy:

SO, i think that is way too often for me to only have 1 female. So, im think that since my black more doesnt really have stars like the rest of them do, he has none on his gill covers, and the fronts of the fins look like they MAY have them but if it is, it is barely. SO, i think that maybe he is a she?

What do you guys think?

And here is my plan since i can not seem to stop saving babies once they hatch.

Im going to talk to my manager friend at vvvv and see if after they get a certain age, he will take them?

Ill keep several of them myself, but obviously... i can not keep almost 50 goldies successfully. :( Even though i would really love to!

:) Having a chance to see babies,is always nice and rather exciting,but when it comes down to it,reality does hit as you wonder where they'll all go.Have you considered letting the fish do the natural thing and eat the eggs? I'm just thinking that you're going to end up with a ton of babies,and they'll have no where to go... :unsure:

Unfortunately, all of these babies are not free swimming in my tank, they were in my filter itself. Those that did manage to make it into the tank were eaten. Im sure i will find somewhere for the babies to go. some people have said they would adopt some, and ive already started looking at tanks.

Im not sure if you mean i should put them back in the main tank and be eaten? like making them a new live food? Im not sure if i could do that one... especially now that ive already got them set up.

:yikes My bad...I misunderstood and didn't realize that you had allready found them hatched without even knowing that there were eggs. I could never use them as food that way either-for sure.As hard as it is,I have had fish/snails,etc.. lay eggs,and just let nature takes its course.Most times,the adults will eat the eggs. It's a whole other ballgame when you see little fry. :rolleyes: Finger's crossed that they will all find good homes! ;)

Oh good! i was hoping you werent wanting me to feed them back to the parents!!!

Yea, the eggs that i find on leaves and such in the tank i let the other fish eat. its just when i see the little guys swimming around that i just cant watch em die.

it seems like i go into auto pilot and start saving them all!!!

:blink: I totally understand. Afterall,I have a whole tank of Baby Bristlenoses everywhere! :krazy::rofl

Let me know! I would LOVE a tiny baby!!

Jeana,

As a matter of fact, I will be in atlanta from march 17-19th, on the way up, if you would like to meet me up there i would be more than happy to hand over some goldies to you!

Do you know how many you would like? and at about what age?

Of course, I will have different patterns, but as of march 17th, they will be about 2 months and three weeks old for my oldest group. So, they would still be about 1.5" in length.

The youngest group follows just a short 12 days behind. But, as you saw from my thread, alot goes on in those 12 days!

So, just let me know if you are interested.

If you are, send me a message and we can arrange something :D

Congrats on all the babies--It would be nice to experience that some day--If you are ever in the Toledo, OH. or Detroit, Mi. areas--I'll take a few :)) <--Just Kidding :)

Ooohh I am sooooooo excited about the prospect of becoming a Goldie Mom to little BABIES!!!! Woohoo!!! :D

Im so happy you are going to take 4!!!! If anyone else knows of someone who is willing to meet me near jax, fl or atlanta from march 17-19th, let me know!!! Ive got well over 40 healthy fry, minus of course the ones Jeana will take.

I would love to see them go to happy homes.