New Albino Cory

kila

This is my first visit to this section and I am clueless! I brought home a little Albino Corey today (long story...I thought I was buying a pleco!).

I've done a little bit of research in the past couple of hours and realise that he would be happier if I get him a buddy or two. I realise there is for and against keeping Cories with goldfish but I intend to put him in with my two Fancies in their 20 gallon.

At the moment he is quarantined in a two gallon tank. The question is, I have no idea what am I am supposed to be looking out for. Am I supposed to be treating him with something? I know he is completely different from a gf in terms of not being able to take salt.

So what do I do? How long does he stay alone? If I don't know what I'm looking for how do I know if he's ok to join the main tank? :idont

:) Congrats on your Cory.They are one of my very favorite "Bottom Dweller's".He definately will appreciate a few more buddies.They almost look sad without some friends. Clean water params,are a must. Cory's are just like any other fish.You tend to notice thhings that are/are not normal,even if you don't understand why. You know that fish that feel fine,swim around/eat,etc..Fish that are sick may be found doing the same things as Goldies would do...Laying on their sides/not eating/gasping for Breath/Swollen Gills/Flashing,etc...Basically,you're looking for him to be active,and eating.He may of course be somewhat stressed right now because he is new,and also because he is alone.I personally don't have any of my Cory's with Goldfish,but I've known quite a few who have.My Daughter actually keeps Cory's with her Goldies.I think it's worked out fine except for medicating or salting the tank,and then the Cory's have to be temporarily re homed for a bit. :)

Thanks guys.

So if he does ever look rough what do I use to treat him? Are there special medications on the market different to the ones for gf?

I'll buy him 2 buddies tomorrow (hope I get a new upgrade soon...see "Horror Stories" for my new tank story!).....how long do you recommend as a quarantine period...2 weeks?

i usually go 2 weeks. i know some people say a month or more to really be sure. i think a month is only really necessary if it's goin into a well established community tank and / or you aren't sure you can give him a clean bill of health at the end of the two weeks (like there might be something wrong but you aren't sure, leave them in qt a little longer)

[edit] oh, and if possible sometimes i go back to the petstore and look in his old tank to see if any of the fish in there are showing signs of anything contagious, just as an extra check.

I've studied him under a magnifying glass and he looks as though he has fin rot. He also has loads of little white raised surfaces on him...it doesn't look like Ich...is this normal body surface?

How will I treat the Fin Rot?

good question. never had corys, so i really don't feel comfortable answering. for now keep ur water pristine. the raised bumps might just be his skin, and for fin rot i think you should be able to tell w/out a magnifying glass. i wouldn't medicate the tank til someone here lets ya know what the best thing to do would be, some fish don't respond well to certain meds.

if no one answers in here for a bit, maybe make another post specific to what can you do for him. make sure you include how long the qt tank's been set up, size, readings for amonia nitrate and nitrite if you've got a test kit, anything you notice about the cory, physically and how it's acting/swimming. the more info the better.

hope everything's ok w/ the little guy. oh, and of course keep him in qt til ya get it straightened out.

Huge thanks for your help but my new little friend died last night.

I think he was quite sick when I got him so I'm trying not to be hard on myself.

I'm going to stick to GF from now on!

X

Archived