Question About 10gallon Per Goldfish Rule

mkinga

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new 65 gallon tank, I was just wondering, does the type of fish matter for the how many gallons per fish? Koi seem to get huge (I can see 10 gallons per fish), but some fish seem much smaller, like Ryukin. So if I was getting ryukin's and orandas (maybe pearl scales?) would that mean I could get 6-7 max? What if I was running a pretty good filter(s)?

I dont' want to be cruel to my future new goldfish, but I want to have as many as I can. I guess my question is what types are smaller? and if I get those types can I get more? If I have a good filter can I get more? Or is 10 gallons per goldfish already for medium sized goldfish with good filtration?

Thanks for you help!

Guest Luke Anderson

Hi there,

10 gallons is the minumum for FANCY GOLDFISH like ryukins, bubble eyes etc.

More Common goldfish like comets, commons (feeders), shubunkins, wakins etc all need a minimum of 15 gallons apeice.

Koi are a different species and get HUGE they do best in ponds, and need at least 100 gallons when young, and 200+ at a minimum when grown with 500+ better.

I know it seems like a lot per fish, but once they are grown up big and healthy your tank won't look sparely stocked at all :)

Great advice Luke!

I once had a comet by himself in a 50 gallon tank and he was quite happy, he got huge!

Some varieties don't grow as large as others but since goldies are messy, the more space, the more diluted the waste they produce. And of course, more swimming room.

That is why the combination of lots of space, quality water, a good filter, airstones and top quality food will give you goldfish that really thrive!

:lol

I just put fourteen Butterfly koi in a 55g. Don't freak, Just for the winter. They are very small and will go in the pond come spring. Is that too many? They look soooo small in that big tank.

Just imagine your fish full grown, or close to it... lets say you've got orandas, which get to be 8" long, maybe less or more, and they're chubby so maybe 4 inches in diameter... that's a whole lot of fish! Each fish probably takes up a gallon of space by itself!

Lynn, just remember, koi do get big. I've never seen one more than a foot long in person, but boy, I've seen pictures! They may seem small now, but I've heard of koi growing 3 or 4 inches per year, so next winter you might need a bigger tank or more tanks to keep them in. Or at least you'll be glad you have the one you do!

May, I wish koi only grew three to four inches a year!!! :lol:

I've had my koi for two and a half months, and the largest has grown by three inches! :thud

Many koi can reach reach at least two feet by their third year if they're kept properly (at least 100 gallons of water per fish)

The butterfly Koi will go in a pond next spring. I had to get the fish before my hubbie would let me dig the pond. B) If he still wouldn't let me dig the pond, then I would have put them in the pond I have or gave them to my sister-in-laws. It was a gamble, but now he is talking about putting an net in the new pond to keep the Shubunkins and the Butterfly Koi apart. :lol

My neighbor has koi that are longer than my arm! And fatter than my cat!

Having so many koi in an aquarium could lead to them becoming dwarfed and not reaching their full potential size. I am not sure if dwarfism is temporary or not (they might grow bigger anyway next year when you put them in the pond.) Maybe someone else on here will know for sure.

I would do water changes every day with a tank that is overcrowded! I have 6 pretty large assorted fantails/telescopes in a 60g tank, and even though they're not technically "overstocked," they still bump into one another from time to time and you will notice that, as they grow, your tank will not look as sparse as it does when the fish are young.

The biggest one right now is only 1.5 ins. They only be in the tank for appox. 5 months and then they will be in the own pond. Surly they won't get that big in just 5 months. :unsure: can they?

• Admin

I bought a koi at 3" long this guy was 6-7" long in 7 months. Koi are very fast growers they are more closely related to the Wild Carp than the goldfish and growing fast and large is a natural instinct to stay alive :)

Lynn, you could have koko's growth rate of about 1/2 an inch a month, or you could have mine, which is just insane, of 1+ inches a month, despite the massive overcrowding. It's mostly determined by how well you keep the water and how much you feed them. O_O I think that butterfly koi are generally smaller than normal koi, so you'll probably have a slower growth rate than with my guys.

too bad there weren't any of those in the feeder goldfish tank. Of course, the fact that soragoi belong to the "family" of koi that are the most likely to reach jumbo sizes doesn't help.

I so wanna breed butterfly koi! *flails*

How big is that pond you plan on adding them into in the spring? I think when buying koi you need too plan on a MINIMUM of 300-400 gallons a fish. Koi are considered pond fish and just because you have a pond does not mean it is suitable for koi. Lots of room+ a great filtration system+good water quality and a good diet = JUMBO FISH.

just a warning

They're going into a friend's pond come spring (they'll be moved to a 20 gallon tub in a few weeks)... they were an "impulse" buy... the impulse to save koi from the fate of feeder goldfish.

Once they're safely in her pond, I'll be saving up the money needed for a rubbermaid trough thingy (300 gallon) plus the pump and filter and everthing and my fish will then be in my father's backyard until I can pester him to let me dig a proper pond. -_-

Don't be afraid, my hubbie is already picking out a place for the pond. If they grow 1+ a month that will make then approx 6-7ins. If they get too crowed I will move some of them to an other tank or if weather premits start the pond sooner. I spend most of my day just sitting in the floor in front of the tank. They appier to be happy. I haven't got up the nerve to feed them any treats yet, just Koi flakes and dried worms.

KoKo, How big of a pond will I need to breed the 14 Butterflys in? I have a big yard. I want to breed then pure. I have some picture of my frist pond. It is 20x8ft and the deepest is 3-3.5 and lowest is 1.5. Will that be big eought or do I need bigger?

You'll need at least 1400 gallons just to keep your fish. If you're going to be breeding them I'd suggest at least 2,000 and closer to 2500 gallons. Unfortunately, I don't know how much that translates to in regards for potential surface area.

Thanks KoKo, I love these fish and I want to do what is best for them. I would love to keep them all, but if I have to get shad of some. I have two sister-in-laws that want three each. I may let them have them for thier ponds. Each have two ponds and one is very big. I will dig as big as I can, but I would hate to pick who gose and who stays. :cry1

I would have about 15 - 20 galls per fish, cause i made a huge mistake and didnt read about at least 10 galls. I have 2 commons and 2 comets in a 20 gal :o

So dont make the same mistake!

Archived