Meet Ruby And Oswald

balashark

hey guys. meet the two newest additions to my tropical tank, ruby and oswald.

rubyoswald1.jpg

here they are meeting each other for the first time outside the bag

rubyoswald2.jpg

and parting ways

rubyoswald3.jpg

but not before an inspection from the ruler of their new under-water world

thanks! :) i haven't had snails in a while, i had forgotten how fun they were to watch. just crawling over everything. oswald climbed to the water line, got some air, then just totally let go of the side and floated down to the bottom. ruby's been goin in circles around and through the cave for a good while now.

the balas might be my babies, but my parrot fish is in charge, and he knows it too. he's usually pretty peaceful, but if he gets in one of his moods, he doesn't want anybody around him. so i really watched him when i first put the snails in. i had one big apple snail in with him in my old cichlid tank, and he would actually protect the snail not letting any of the cichlids near it. he was doing the same thing again w/ these two youngsters, not letting the platys near them at all. that old snail used to love to float around. he'd climb up the back right where the filter was and float off so that the current would push him around a little, then he'd grab on to something, and make his way right back to the back wall.

actually, the croc had a little accident. i think the parrot fish broke it's jaw :) there's an airtube into it's mouth, so that it's mouth opens and closes every couple seconds. but i'd say for a good while now it's jaw won't open, the air bubbles just come out where the head connects to the neck.

:D Every time I've ever seen Parrot fish,I've wanted to take a couple home,and somehow just never seem to have the room I need with all my fish I allready have. I've wanted to do a tank of them,and a tank of a lot of different Cichlids...Oh well...one of these days! :lol: Justin,Is he the only one you have?

Love the snailies!! :heart

I absolutely LOVE parrot fish but have never had the room for one. I love the expression on their faces. :)

Any chance for a full tank pic? Looks really cool from what I can see!! :D

hahaa, i was just out in the livingroom and ruby and oswald were digging around the gravel and bumped into each other. they both shot into their shells and both are just sitting there not coming out. :D

the only parrot fish? yea. ich killed his mate and 3/4 of my aquarium after i went away for a long weekend and my heater broke. the temp dropped too far too fast, i came back to two dead fish and the rest covered in spot. that was a long time ago tho, but he survived it.

yea, they're beautiful fish. mine's is just starting to get his forhead. they had a couple huge ones at my old lfs, i can't wait til he's that big (and i have to buy an even bigger aquarium) :)

okies, i'll post a pic of my tank in the tropicals section. once my camera batteries are charged that is. i ran 'em out taking pics of the snails, and then angus (our dog) wanted her picture taken too of course. :) hopefully by tonight.

:) Snails are fun to watch. :heart the alligator. I have one similar to that. Its just the head of the gator. It has the air tube as well. Mouth opens and closes. I chose to rig it to stay in the open position all the time as I was afraid it would come down on someone's tail. :rolleyes:

Love to see pics of your entire tank as well!

yea vmlola, that's why i haven't gone in and fixed it yet. most of my fish stayed clear of it for the most part. i thought a couple times it almost got a platy or two that was too inquisitive, but it never did. with the new snails tho, i'll just leave it closed down. ones on the filter tube right now (wonder if he's gonna ride the current like my old one did??) and the other one's hiding somewhere, i think in the cave.

oh, and i got pics up of my tank in the tropicals section now.

magic!! i thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. hadn't seen any posts from ya in the tropical section for a while.

yea kissy, i thought of you when it popped into my head ;) (see below)

what's noggin? na, jen had said something on the way back from the pet store after picking up the snails. can't remember what she actually said, but it sounded like oswald. so i said that's a good name for a snail, and said the most logical pairing name i could think of for oswald's snail friend,,, ruby :) weird, i know, but i like it (in my defense, i had way to many political science and history classes in college).

thanks airwen. actually, jen's parents came over to the house when i first set up the aq and her father, who's a very bright man, caught it out of the corner of his eye and jumped back saying "how the heck can you have an alligator in your tank?" :) they're only a couple bucks at vvvv.

Archived