Gel Food Recipe

kila

I researched lots of different Gel Food recipes and have taken bits from all of them in creating my own recipe. I made it last night and my fish love it. I just want to make sure that it's safe for them. I won't feed it to them exclusively but certainly will every second day if you think it's ok. Here is the recipe:

Kila's Gel Food

2 cloves of garlic

1/4 of a red pepper

1 glass of peas (frozen)

1/2 glass of spinach (frozen)

1/2 glass of parsely

1 small tin of tuna (in water)

1 small tin of sardines (in water)

1 crushed Multi Vitamin Tablet (no zinc)

1 crushed B Complex Tablet

1 desert spoon of fish flakes

2 desert spoons of Daphnia

5 sheets of gelatin

I boiled the peas and spinach for 7 minutes and then put them in the blender with everything else.

I then mixed it all with the prepared gelatin and put it in the fridge.

I fed it to them today and they devoured it. :Scoff:

Do you think it's ok?

Sounds like a very good combination, Kila... :thumb: What kind of multivitamin did you use - human kind or something else?

Human kind.....read about 20 different recipes on this site and a few others. In one recipe they used 1 human Multivitamin and 1 Vit B Complex. That was my concern. Do you think it's ok?

I thought it was a bit dodgy too. It said as long as it had no zinc in it it'd be ok but I don't feel 100% about it. May chuck it and make up a new batch.

Kila- Mind if I steal your recipe? Without the human vits..I have been looking for a gel food recipe and found your post and I happen to have all these ingredients in the house......I had no idea fish could eat some of these things. I'm going to try!Thankyou!!!! :goodjob:D

I'd be flattered if you tried it.

Mine love it sooo much, they nearly jump out of the tank when I go to feed them. I alternate between sinking pellets and the gel food, and when it's the sinking pellets they look like they're thinking "aww, this sux, we want gel food"!!

Let me know how your guys like it. :slicedbread

I tried it! Phew, I think I overdid the tuna and the garlic but it set and I fed them and they gobbled!My they gobbled it upso fast! THANKYOU! Now, how long is this going to keep- I made tooo much! : :I-Thank-You::g025:

Edited by Trinket

Just keep out enough for about 4 days in the fridge and freeze the rest.

Yippee....delighted that they like it. It's good to have lots of garlic......it's very good for their immune system!

Yeah, I was thinking to feed it to the family tonight- probably more nutritious than what I usually serve up!!! :rofl

Thanks Kila. My first homemade fishfood!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

:) I want to try your recipe, but I have a couple questions before I give it a go.

What kind of red pepper? The sweet kind or the hot dried kind?

What do you mean by the measurement "glass"?

Did you remake without just the vitamin or without the vitamin and B complex?

And lastly, what size dessert spoon?

Thanks, sorry for so many questions, but I did not want to mess it up.

Don't worry too much about exact measurements. The second time round I just did an approximation of the amounts I used the first time and they gobbled it all up anyway.

But to answer you questions:

The sweet kind of pepper

The glass measurement is kind of an abstract term alright!! I just grabbed a glass tumbler from my cupboard! I would guess it's about 1/2 US cup measurement.

I left out both tablets. I was scared to use them due to differing opinions. Better safe than sorry.

The desert spoon is about 3 teaspoons in size.

Like I said, don't worry too much about exacts. They will love it!!

Let me know how you/they find it. :)

:heart:heart , Thank you and I'm sure my fish will Thank you when I make this!

Oh, I'm so glad I asked about the pepper! Could you just picture my fish swimming around, fanning their mouths with their little fins from some "Spicy" :rolleyes: gel food?

I'll let you know what they think.