Hospital/quarantine Tank

my nemo

It should ideally be cycled so you don't end up stressing a sick fish with poor water quality when it goes in there. You can keep it cycled by just adding a tiny bit of fish food every day. This will then rot, creating ammonia which will keep the cycle going.

You can also add just enough pure ammonia (non-sudsing, etc. - the type you can do a fishless cycle with) once a week. In a 10 gallon tank, .5cc of most commercially available ammonias will give you the equivilant of a large fish in the tank. Test it and make sure - ammonias differ in strength. But this is only a once or twice a week thing to do. So it is easier.

I have not used one yet but i would think a hospital tank wouldnt need to be cycled since most treatments are done within a week and it takes longer than that to have an ammonia spike in my experience. I do think it should be cycled as a quarantine tank because fish are normally kept in them for 2-3 weeks.

I forgot to add if you needed to set up a quarantine tank quickly you could just use cycled material from your cycled main tank. It would depend on you and if you always wanted it running 24/7..........if you do you could always try what gldfshkpr suggested and keep some easy fish in there all the time....white cloud minnows maybe?

Archived