New Venture

Milo Burnham

DSCN2218.jpg

I don't know if my goldfish buddies will see this, but it sort of explains why I've been silent on the goldfish end since last summer. I started this 65g reef tank last July. And I thought goldfish were expensive and took a lot of time. I'm pretty happy with the tank at 6 months, but it still has a long way to go. So with the dog, 2 birds, tropical fish, snake, 2 goldfish ponds and the indoor tortoise I now have my little piece of the ocean to look after. This is so different from the goldfish and as of yet there isn't a single fish in the tank. Hi to all you salt water folks at this end of the bulletin board.

looking good so far. :-D be sure to keep us updated with pictures on how it's going! who knows maybe other goldie lovers will also attempt reef tanks in the future and ask you for advice! :D

Thanks for the kind remarks. I was afraid my goldy friends might hate me. So far the biggest differences I've found between SW and FW are the equipment and the time required. I'm still confused with the SW lighting; so many types and all of them expensive. You have to select your lights on the basis of what you're going to keep in the tank. That means knowing exactly at the beginning what you want at the end. The only way to do that is read, read, and read some more Right now I have PC lighting and will upgrade to or add Tek T5. Believe me, upgrades are expensive. I started out with an XP 3 canister filter and an Emperor 400 ( great for FW) and wound up gutting the both of them so I could use them for water circulation. Gee, what was considered essential for FW becomes a nitrate factory with SW. I now have 2 protein skimmers; something I'd never heard of, 120 pounds of rock, and who with FW has heard of a refugium? Don't have one of those and can't; didn't plan for it. What I've found that SW and FW have in common is the importance of water changes,but they are a lot more involved with SW As for fish, maybe a small school of cardinals or chromis. I don't want anything that digs holes, moves sand or nibbles on coral. Now, if I could find something with those traits that feeds on flat worms, I'd buy it. Yes, with SW before I buy a fish, coral or other type of creature I've got to ask myself, can I meets it's needs for light, food, water movement and space, will it get along with what I already have and will it take over the whole tank? Even so, it is still fun. Thanks again. More to come as things develop.

Thanks for the kind remarks.  I was afraid my goldy friends might hate me.  So far the biggest differences I've found between SW and FW are the equipment and the time required.  I'm still confused with the SW lighting; so many types and all of them expensive.  You have to select your lights on the basis of what you're going to keep in the tank. That means knowing exactly at the beginning what you want at the end.  The only way to do that is read, read, and read some more    Right now I have PC lighting  and will upgrade to or add Tek T5.  Believe me, upgrades are expensive.    I started out with an XP 3 canister filter and an Emperor 400 ( great for FW) and wound up gutting the both of them so I could use them for water circulation. Gee, what was considered essential for FW  becomes a nitrate factory with SW.  I now have 2 protein skimmers; something I'd never heard of, 120 pounds of rock,  and who with FW has heard of a  refugium?  Don't have one of those  and  can't; didn't plan for it. What I've found that SW and FW have in common is the importance of water changes,but  they are a lot more involved with SW    As for fish, maybe a small school of cardinals or chromis.  I don't want anything that digs holes, moves sand or nibbles on coral.  Now, if I could find something with those traits that feeds on flat worms, I'd buy it. Yes, with SW before I buy a fish, coral or other type of creature I've got to ask myself,  can I meets it's needs for light, food, water movement and space, will it get along with what I already have and will it take over the whole tank?  Even so, it is still fun.    Thanks again.  More to come as things develop.

462949[/snapback]

you got all that rite,

our FW filters are GIANT nitrate producerss in either scenario although in FW they're not as thought about as in SW cause invertebrates have very little tolerance of nitrate.

btw i've heard of a refugium, i want to build a refugium for my goldiess cause we have too much nitrate.

do you have anymore info your willing to share with us about your set up? don't worry were not madd at you for switching to marine.

andy

haha yeah the first time i heard of a refugium was from reefman, and i was like :blink: . then i went to our lfs and asked if i could take a look at their wet/dry sump filters so i could see what it looks like cuz i wanted to build one for my new tank, and they were like ?? those are so out of date. what you want is a refugium... and they let me take a look at theirs. then i was like... uh... yeah.. i'll just go with HOB's. haha. :lol:

i went to our lfs and asked if i could take a look at their wet/dry sump filters so i could see what it looks like cuz i wanted to build one for my new tank, and they were like ?? those are so out of date. what you want is a refugium... and they let me take a look at theirs. then i was like... uh... yeah.. i'll just go with HOB's. haha.  :lol:

463016[/snapback]

they're right (sounds like a good lfs) wet/drys are going out noww and refugiums are the in thing now lol

Hi Milo, its nice to see you back! It looks like youve been very busy since last summer. That tank looks just amazing. What a great job you've done with it!

I dont think every SW tank needs fish. I had just inverts in mine for awhile and kind of like the look of that.

I am admiring just how nice and clean your tank is! Mine has had a terrible cyano problem that I am still sorting out. I have a small HOB refugium on my tank and also a separate 5 gallon where I grow copepods for my mandarin. That also serves as a refugium of sorts.

Anyway, thanks for sharing about your experience. I look forward to seeing more pics in the future!

I am admiring just how nice and clean your tank is! Mine has had a terrible cyano problem that I am still sorting out. I have a small HOB refugium on my tank and also a separate 5 gallon where I grow copepods for my mandarin. That also serves as a refugium of sorts.

463021[/snapback]

jsrtist....what are your phosphate and nitrate readings??? What kind of protien skimmer are you using???

As for fish, maybe a small school of cardinals or chromis.  I don't want anything that digs holes, moves sand or nibbles on coral.  Now, if I could find something with those traits that feeds on flat worms, I'd buy it. Yes, with SW before I buy a fish, coral or other type of creature I've got to ask myself,  can I meets it's needs for light, food, water movement and space, will it get along with what I already have and will it take over the whole tank?  Even so, it is still fun.    Thanks again.  More to come as things develop.

462949[/snapback]

Hi Milo

maybe you could look at a sixline wrasse ?