Winter Water Temperature

kila

Hi guys,

What temperature do you guys keeps your tanks at during the cool months?

Can you advise me? I have a 20 UK gallon with two Fancy goldfish. Right now their water is at room temperature 21degrees celcius (69F). Is this too cold for them in Winter?

I know it's good for them to get a break from warm water all of the time so the stress on their organs will be less. In Summer they have to contend with quite warm water, 28C (82F). Should they stay in the early 70sF even in winter?

How warm do you keep your little ones?

(I have a heater in at the moment because my fish are going through a salt treatment, they're now at 73F, will I maintain this temp for the rest of the Winter?)

well, i dont know about the temperatures during a heat treatment, you might want to look in on the disease discussions.

BUT, in general, my tank sits around 70?F in the winter time, sometimes as low as 66?F and they seem very very happy.

The only ones i have to watch are my companion fish in the tanks.

I would say your goldies are just fine in the upper 60?s and lower 70?s

Exactly true. Goldfish do not require a "change of seasons". They are cold blooded creatures. They grow and are active when it is warm. They go dormant when it is too cold. As the temperature decreases, they slow down.

The largest, brightest fish in the world are the ones that are kept outside in sun filled, warmer ponds year round. They grow year round with no slowing, and thrive in the sun.

Keep your fish at a warmer (mid 60s through the 70s mostly) through the year and they will be bigger and stronger for it, I believe. A slight variance in temps will produce breeding behavior, but a difference of 8-10 degrees is sufficiant for this.

There is a slight difference between the various breeds as to temperature. Many people think that the more "delicate" breeds (bubble eye, celestial, veiltail, pearlscale) do better in slightly warmer temps. (70s), blacks stay blacker in cooler temps (65ish). Comets, commons, shubies and such thrive well in the lower temps as well as the upper ones. The true English Black Moor is well suited to lower temps but the blacks derived from the Chinese Demekin are more suited to the 70s.

:)

That was really interesting Daryl as you've answered some of my questions about water temp too (about the degrees of change needed for breeding esp.) Thanks!! :D

Archived