I Need Help

Guest TiffanyWagner

Guest TiffanyWagner

My son was given a 5 gallon fish tank for Christmas with two fantail goldfish. My husband bought 3 more fantails and a Betta fish two weeks later. The fish were all doing fine until about 5 days ago. Three of the fantails have black spots on them, and one keeps floating around, mostly upside down. I don't know what's wrong with them, and have no answers to the questions I am suppose to answer (I know nothing about fish, or owning them). I feel really bad, because I think they may be dying. Help me please!

Hello and Welcome to Koko's!

Part of the problem is you are overstocked. With fantail goldfish, the general rule of thumb is 10 gallons per fish. Goldfish are very messy fish and need lots of filtration.

The black marks you are seeing are probably ammonia burns from ammonia building up in your water. I'm assuming since you don't know the answers to any of the questions in the red box, you haven't tested your water or had it tested.

What you should do is a large water change to get the ammonia down. Then ASAP take a sample of your water to your local pet store. Many of them will test your water for free. Write down the actual numbers of the test results. You'll really want to know ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Once you have those post them here. Have you done any water changes since you got the fish? Do you have any kind of filter on the tank?

When you do a water change make sure you add dechlorinator. A good one to use is Prime as it also helps with ammonia toxicity. So perhaps when you take your water to your pet store for testing you could pick up some Prime also?

Also I'm not a betta expert (don't know anything about them) but I don't think GF and bettas do very well together so you may want to get a separate bowl for your betta.

One last thing--read this link about cycling the tank. It's a hard concept to grasp but it's something that needs to be done if you want healthy GF.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Now that I've totally overwhelmed you, take a deep breath. We are here to help and will be glad to answer all your questions!! Most of us are here because we found ourselves in a situation like yours at one point.

So please, do a water change if you ahve some kind of dechlorinator on hand and then take a sample of your water down to a pet store ASAP. OR if there are any pet stores open where you live take the water down first, get some Prime and your water tested and come back here and post your results. Hang in there!!

(And the black marks on your fish will heal once your water is under control. :) )

:) Hi Tiffany,Welcome to Koko's .As mentioned you are really overstocked.The 5 gal Tank would be perfect for the Betta itself. Now as for the five goldfish,well there is as mentioned,a recommendation to keep them in at least 10 gals. a piece.Goldies are massive Ammonia/Waste producer's and need alot of space because of that along with the fact that they can grow pretty darn big. As long as those guys are in that size tank,you'll be doing 100% water changes daily to keep them alive.. You have a few options here that we can talk about. A) Take all the Goldies back to the LFS and Keep the Betta in the tank,B) Buy a Much bigger tank,C) Look into a Rubbermaid Tub until you can get a tank together. Goldfish are alot of money to start out with.They have special requirements which take a few bucks and alot of time to start up. Once you get thru all the difficulties though,it's a great Hobby/Passion.. Why don't you take a minute and go back to our Main Page and read 2 Articles if you have a free moment. Cycling a tank,and 10 steps to keeping a Healthy Goldfish.These will give you an idea of ewhat you'll be up against if you decide to keep them. Give it some thought and let us know what you'd like to do.We're more than willing to help you deal with this as you see fit.Good luck Post soon. :exactly

Archived