Is This A Daft 'air' Question?

pumpkin

with my fist tank - yrs ago,as a present - i had a fluval 1 filter. i was told that it acted as both the filter and air supply, and that was all i needed.

when my fish grew i got a bigger tank and a fluval 2 filter (about 3 yrs ago) assuming that the same philosophy applied. with the fluval two i have a spray bar that goes along the top that is attached to the fluval and runs along the length of the tank.

I now run two tanks with those two filters as explained above.

My question is:

should i actually have a seperate air source that is attched to an air stone? i keep reading that you must have a wall of bubbles in different sections on this site - is that if you have a undergravel filter only? or does it apply if you have a fluval?

i'm a little confused and not sure whether i've being doing something very wrong for a number o yrs??

if i need to have a wall of bubbles, then i presume i need to buy an air pump for each tank along with an air stone etc - do i need to do this to create a healthy tank????

please can someone explain, put my mind at rest, or insist i go shopping for the above things soon - as i'm really not sure what to do.....

thanks

A

I should think that the air your fluval provides is fine. I just have filters with no airstone etc in my tanks and the fish are all fine and healthy. As long as there is lots of surface movement then unless you are overstocked you shouldn't need any thing else. If your fish start hanging out at the top a lot, that is a sign of lack of oxygen so in that instance you might want to add one, but unless that happens I wouldn't bother.

Airstones are unnecessary, most people just like them for decoration, or are too paranoid about keeping the water oxygenated. I had one, but that was in a 20 gallon extra tall tank, because I knew that less surface area would mean less oxygen, and those tanks are REALLY tall.

It depends on where you live as well. If your tank gets really hot during summer, in the 80s, warmer water carries less oxygen, and you might wonna add air supply. Otherwise I would say you are fine without. I have 2 tanks, that dont have any airstones in them, and the fish are just fine. :)

:hi

I have a bubble wall in the back of my 20 gal. because it looks great and the fish love to play in the bubbles and also during the summer months my tank temps are between 78-82 degrees in which I agree with Ranchgirl on adding more air supply because warmer waters carry less oxygen. As she said it all depends on where you live. Hope this helps. :)

thanks guys!

you've really put my mind at rest!!

thnk i was suffering from information overload!!

i have my fluval at the top so that there is lots of air movement, so i think i'll leave them as they are for the time being - they seem happy and healthy!

tar very much for help! :D

I thought about getting an airstone once but then i decided why not just get another filter? I'll have increased surface agitation but also increased filtration. I personally think airstones are not really needed unless your filter is a bit on the weak side as far as output goes. They look nice though.

Airstones are unnecessary, most people just like them for decoration, or are too paranoid about keeping the water oxygenated.  I had one, but that was in a 20 gallon extra tall tank, because I knew that less surface area would mean less oxygen, and those tanks are REALLY tall.

Hi,

I disagree, and it was only when I added a bubble wall that my goldies stopped hanging around the top gulping for air.

:lol

Well, I respect that, but I feel I'm right in that MOST people are just using them for decoration. We can agree to disagree.

Ranchugirl, that's a good point, the weather doesn't get too warm around here so I never have had to worry about that.

The warm weather is a factor for me--in the summer my tank stayed around 86-88 F and I would cool it down 2 degrees with a frozen water bottle. The airstones/bubble walls make a big difference. Since I have lived most of my life in sunny California, I have always used airstones as a necessary item.

But I have always heard that goldfish needed extra oxygen in their water so that is good enough for me.

:hi

Goldfish do need a lot of oxygen. Some filters provide adequate oxygenation, some others may not. There are other factors as well that will affect whether or not your oxygen levels are sufficient (temp, tank depth, surface area, meds in the tank, number of fish). All of my unplanted goldfish tanks have some form of extra aeration (not for decorational purposes, but for oxygenating purposes), even the ones with multiple filters. :) I am not "paranoid" about the O2 content of my water, but I have tested it and know that it can get quite low without the fish showing symptoms. If you're wondering whether or not you *need* extra aeration, pick up an O2 test kit. Your setup may not necessitate an airstone to help along gas exchange, but it won't hurt anything, and goldfish enjoy the current and playing in the bubbles.

May might be right that some people add airstones to their tank for aesthetics only. The same is probably true for substrate and maybe even the filter itself in some cases (keeping particles out of the water), but all of these things have the potential of serving a more important purpose, regardless of whether or not the fishkeeper understands what that purpose is.

Mmph, I have a 20 gallon with a box filter and no airstone, the water is clear ammonia nitrites and nitrates are low and goldies are fine. Air stone I think is 70% decoration and 30% facility. Plus, I don't have room for all those tubes.

Archived