Finrot? Stress?

kila

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? PH8

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.4

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

20 UK gallons running for 5 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

2 filters, both Italian brands, one small with just one sponge inside and one very large cannister biological filter (covers the side wall of the aquarium) has ceramic rings, filter floss and a sponge.

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week, 50%

How many fish in the tank and their size?

2 Fancies, Moor is about 2.5 inches without tail and the Fantail is about 1.5 inches, one Apple Snail.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Sera water conditioner

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Flakes, sinking pellets, peas.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Split tail, blueish tints on top of dorsal fin on my Moor.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? sometimes lays at the bottom.

My male Black Moor has been harrassed on and off by his smaller tank mate (don't know sex) for a few months now (I've posted about it before). It's worst in the morning for some reason. I think he must be getting very stressed from it all. I am going to make a divider for the tank but in the meantime need help.

When feeding them this morning, I noticed that the Moor has a big tear in his beautiful tail. The tips of his dorsal fin have tiny little blueish marks on them too. Is this the beginning of Fin Rot?

When treating, I am going to have to use the Bucket to Bucket method as I don't have a large enough hospital tank. The only medication I have is Interpet Disease Safe (anyone know this, it's a UK brand, is it good?). It doesn't give ingredients but says it treats a broad range od illnesses such as, Fin Rot, SBD, Popeye and other fungal and bacterial diseases. At the moment he's in a small plastic tank with this medication and an air stone. I am monitoring the Ammonia levels. I should probably have just used salt?

Should I be treating both fish? If so I will move the snail to the small hospital tank and go ahead and treat the main tank. If I do this I think i'll just use salt??

Sorry if this post is a bit confusing, I'm kind of thinking out loud.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your fish. I am not familar with drugs across the ocean, so I will try and locate another member who is.

Hang tight.

Hi there

Has your tank cycled? If so then I reckon this is stress and maybe the other fish has managed to damage the fin.

Can you get a pic of him so we can see the damage to both the tail and the top fin?

If he is being chased around then he could have hit the dorsal going through or under something, is that possible?

Is the chasing mostly at feeding time when they are excited about getting fed?

The blackmoor will be at a disadvantage as his eyes probably cant see when the other fish is upon him, so maybe the divider may be an idea but make sure both sides have enough filtration.

Ive never used the gold range as its mainly for fish kept in bowls and probably wouldnt help anyway as it sounds like its just methylene blue.

I would take him out the meds and put into the divided tank for now and yes salt would be a better aid at .2%

Is the tank heated at all?

Thanks for your rapid response guys.

As far as my understanding of cycling goes, I'm sure its cycle is complete. I take readings once a week and they are now stable at:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20ppm

PH 8

Unfortunately the aggresive behaviour isn't isolated to feeding time. It actually stops for a while during their feeding time because the Fantail (Frizzy) is distracted for a while. Then it's right back at poor Nero again. Sometimes he leaves him alone but it's becoming more regular than ever that he's harrassing him lately. It's strange because Nero is bigger and definitely a male (he has his breeding turbacles).

I thought the same thing about it being methylene blue too. Pretty rubbish for my purposes I think.

The tank isn't heated but I have a heater. The water is at room temperature 21 Degrees Celcius. Should I add the heater and bring it up a few degrees?

I will take him out of the little tank now and put him back in a salt the main tank. The snail will come out for the duration of this.

I will work on photos now. It is certainly possible that he was banged against the driftwood in the tank.

So for adding the salt, is it 1 teaspoon per gallon to salt to .1% and 2 teaspoons per gallon to salt to .2% ??? Should I do this very gradually?

Ok, I was working on some photos and I decided to film the behaviour instead. Nero is the Black Moor (male) being chased. I think you may be able to see his torn tail in the footage (please ignore me singing along to System of a Down that was playing in the background, I didn't realise that a digital camera could record sound!!). Let me know if it doesn't work. It rebuffs after 16 seconds, there's just over a minute of footage.

http://video.freevideoblog.com/iPlayer.asp...40-9E19A0DDDC1D

It's very like mating behaviour but Nero is definitely male.

I salted to .1% yesterday, and 12 hours later I increased it to .2%. That's where it's at now. Is that ok?

Just to make sure that what I did was right. Tank is 20gallons, I put in 20 teaspoons of aquarium salt and 12hrs later I put in another 20 teaspoons....that's .2%, right??!!! I hope!

Do I need to increase this?

I took out the driftwood so now there's nothing sharp he can bang off.

Should I up the temperature from 21 degrees celcius (69F)?

It seems that Frizzy calms his behaviour down when it's dark but goes crazy the daytime. I made a temporary divider now for when he goes loo laa.

Hi - thought I'd pop in and answer some of your questions.

Yes - ur adding the salt correctly. Are you predissolving it before adding to the tank?

I would slowly increase the temp to low-mid 70'sF (sorry, I'm in the states). Only 1-2 degrees per hour.

I have to add that music is most perfect for the video! That was great! But poor Nero...he must be exhausted! Do you see him sleeping, ever?

Thanks a lot Chico.

Yes, I'm disolving the salt in warmed up tank water before adding it to the tank.

I'll add the heater and slowly increase the temp as suggested. Should this temp be maintained until it becomes the natural room temp in Springtime?

He's getting a sleep now that I have the divider in...poor little guy. What a bully Frizzy is.

Thanks again for your help.

• Supporter

That video is hilarious (love the music!), but I feel for your moor, must be very tiring!

I just wanted to say that your moor is GORGEOUS, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen :-) I hope you get the problem straightened out so they can live in harmony...

Thanks guys.

I told Nero what you said Jen and he looked chuffed......then I told my boyfriend, and he went around the house smiling like he had given birth to Nero himself!! The doting dad!!

Thanks!

Archived