New Snails...

nichjake

A lfs near me, (one of those huge grocery stores w/ a pet department) got in some snails the other day and I got two of them. The trouble is I don't know ehat kind they are and the lady working there had no idea either. They were only fifty cents each so that only adds to my puzzlement.

I'll post pics sometime either today or tomorrow but I'll describe them now.

They are about the average size you can buy snails at. They have some of the same markings as Goliath, my apple snail but on one side of their shells they are blueish and that blue fades as you go around the shell so that by the time you get all the way to the opening it is a nice honey brown color. Their air siphon thing that they use to breath is very long (like four inches! :o ), it also has rings around it that kind of remind me of a zebra. I promise I'll get pics soon :)

I hope they're apple snails. They're shaped pretty much like Goliath so I hope they're the same kind. Right now they have a ten gallon tank all to themselves being that I haven't got any fish in my dorm at the moment.

It's just the 50 cent price tag that makes me wonder.... It could be though that there wasn't a set price for them because its the first time they've gotten snails and the lady new nothing, and I stress nothing, about snails so she probably made up the price (Lucky for me :D ). She didn't even know how to get them unstuck from the glass! I gave her a crash course in snail handling while I was picking out the ones I wanted. I had to get them out myself because the lady didn't know squat. :rolleyes:

Okay, I got some decent pictures of my newest additions. Both of them are doing great and I can't wait to start adding some fish. :D

Heres a link to the pics. Theres 8 of them so I didn't want to post them all here...I don't want dial up users to get mad :hide::lol:

Sorry guys, I could have sworn I pasted it....oh well, here it is. :rolleyes:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c277/nichjake05/New%20snails/

They've got a lot of algea on their shells that I'm going to get cleaned up. I've got an old toothbrush at home that I'm going to bring up. The 7th pic shows the bluish part really well.

Edited by nichjake

I absolutley love them. I just wish I knew what kind of snail they are...perhaps I'll go back to where I got them and see if someone more knowledgable is working :D

I could be wrong but to me they look like P. bridgesii. According to what I learned on Applesnail.net years back they have a flat part to their spire and where it connects to the next whorl it is about a 45? angle (I cannot remember the proper names at the moment!!). Working at the store I saw many of these guys come through. I just love the blue coloring on them!

I am not sure why they were so cheap though. Its possible someone had traded them in for credit or something. Sometimes when people did that at our store we would sell them more cheaply than usual.

Edit: Here is the link (with the proper names!!): http://www.applesnail.net/content/species/...ea_bridgesi.htm

:) With their shape and their coloring,they sure look like Brigs to me. :) I'm thinking because of all the Algae,etc., it was the LFS's way to make a quick sale.Alot of people don't want snails with Algae. Oh well Nichole,it was their loss. ;)

I love the little guys. Every time I look over to their tank I have to smile, they are sooo cute :heart

hmmm, I never thought I'd get so much satisfaction from a couple of snails. :rofl

Yep, I think you're right Sharon, they do look like brigs. Its kind of funny, I've been looking for Brigs for a little while now and haven't found any...then they practically fall into my lap and I didn't even recognize them :lol:

I cahanged my mind agian :rolleyes: I think they're apple snails. I was reading about identifying snails on applesnail.net and read about the siphons and if a snail has one its an apple. Well my new little guys have them. Heres a link to a really cool pic :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/c277/nichjak...ailmountain.jpg

"Apple snail" is a collective, generic term for several kinds of snails (but it does include yours, too). The brigs are commonly called "spiketop apple snails."

461385[/snapback]

Jeez. That I didn't know. I guess I need to study up on my snails a bit huh? Anyways, so I guess they are brigs then? maybe? :D

Hey Nichjake, I'm a newbie and just got my first golden apple (brigs variety) I've just been looking at your snaily pics and in addition to the early pics I notice a much bigger one - photo 24? Is he new too, or an old one? - coz he looks like a canaliculata to me. I'd love a cana but as my tank is planted it would look like a war zone within a 24 hours! On the applesnail.net site they have a ton of pics showing the shell shapes and colour range of the different varieties. You've probably seen them by now.

Anyway your snailies are real purdy :D

My big snail is one that I got just after Thanksgiving. Hes some sort of apple snail, I'm not sure which type though but hes the most amazing creature. People sometimes stop and stare when they walk by if I leave my door open :lol: Most of them have never seen a snail that big before :D