Hospital Tank Warm/transfer Tank Cold

Guest amysue

Hello. I was recently treating one of my commons for a mysterious disease involving bilateral lumps in the abdomenal area, mild pineconing and lethargy. He is a 4.5" 7 year old fish. (kinda stunted, huh?)

Anyway, responded beautifully to salt, Maracyn 2 and metro-gold. Looks completely normal and is eating his medicated food with great glee. He has been in isolation for 2 1/2 weeks. Current teatment is only the salt and medicated food, which I plan to stop today.

So, the question is..oh parameters of both tanks...ammonia, nitrite 0. Nitrates are 60 in the transfer 60 gallon and 20 in his tank. I don't seem to have my pH kit in a findable locale, so don't know that one. The big difference is Temperature. Oh, both tanks have been up and running for years.

I have slowly cooled the hospital tank (only 10 gallons) over 5-6 days and it won't go any cooder than 68 degrees. The 60 gallon is at 64 degrees.

So, finally the question. How warm do I need to heat the 60 gallon before Robin can safely join his friends?

Thanx, Amy

Hi amysue it has been awhile since I seen you on!!!

I would say that if the water is within 2-3 degrees of each other that should be ok. Anything more than that is risky.

Maybe mix some of both waters together for the transfer.

I do notice thought that one tank's nitrates are way too high. AT 60 the fish is going to have major problems. I would get that down to at least 40 but 20 would be better.

Nitrates should never be greater than 20 without the fish starting to have probs.

Keep in touch.

Laurie,

Yep, my nitrate is too high. That reading was actually before my weekly water change...but it would still be to high. I am overstocked...until I have some fatalities which I seem to avoid most times....I will be overstocked.

If I pick up my water changes to twice weekly, my fish seem much too stressed by all the commotion and completely hide....perhaps that is just a rationalization, maybe I find with 3 dogs, 3 cats, 4 tanks and a 5 year old, doesn't fit into my life all that well!!!

I tried adding plants, but it gets so hot in my tanks in the summer, I couldn't use the plant lights enough to allow those to flourish. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks for the nudge...will try a little harder on the nitrates. They are under control in the other three tanks!!! Also thank you for responding. I haven't been on much...felt the place was becoming painfully clique-y! You have always been very helpful and open to all. Thanx!!!

I think I will be moving Robin back home tomorrow! A

Archived