Please Help I Dont Know What To Do

Guest xxJasminexx

Guest xxJasminexx

hey people im new and ive got a few goldfish one of who looks poorly sorry im not very good at this :blink: he is bent over like they are when they are dead, but he isnt dead he is very alive!! its like he is cramped and cant move because he is still quite active swimming round and stuff but like i said he is sort of swimming on his side and bent over he has been like this on and off for about 3 weeks but this last week he has been stuck bent over i rung my local petstore and they told me to get some melafix so i did i have been using this for about 5 days and he is still the same sorry if i havent described it well enough if there is any problems ask me and i will try and tell you more any help would be wonderful as its making me sad to see my fishy like this :( thanks x x x x x x

Hi Jasmine and welcome to the forum.

Your fish doesnt sound too well i'm afraid. But we will try our best for you.

At the top you will see a red box with questions in it. if you could copy and paste and then answer as much as you can then that will help us to help you.

In the meantime try a 50% water change to try and help.

Guest xxJasminexx

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? i dont know the size lol but ive had it about a years and a half

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

How often do you change the water and how much? every week or so just a jug full

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 about 2" long

What kind of water additives or conditioners? none i dont think

Any medications added to the tank? melafix

Add any new fish to the tank? yes but after the problem started

What do you feed your fish? aquarian flakes

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", no

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? a little tear on his big fin

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? dont think so

sorry im not very good at this :( i did a 50% water change last week because i had to move the tank i feel really silly i never knew goldfish were so complicated

I see you are from the uk so that helps me a little bit :)

It could be that you have too many fish in the tank and the ammonia/ nitrite levels could be high or the lack of a dechlorinator.

How long have you ahd this particular fish? Anything else wrong that you can see such as red streaking or red splotches on the body?

Measure your tank for me please I need the length, breadth, and height. Should be able to work out the gallons from that.

Have you any spare aquariums or equipment lying around and a large water tight tub that can take around 5 gallons to use as a hospital tank?

To get your readings you can take a sample of water to a local fish shop and they will test your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph for you. This is normally done free of charge. Ask them to right down what they get for the readings so you can post it back here. Dont be fobbed off with its fine, you need to know.

Get yourself a bottle of dechlorinator while you are there and some salt as well, tonic salt is ok to use.

Next we need to figure out what filter you have. Is it one that sits in the tank, black and you plug it in the wall? If it has sponges in it do you clean these out and if so how and how often? In case you dont use old tank water to squeeze them in.

Keep doing 50% water changes each day to try and help but ultimately you are going to need a bigger tank.

Are they normal goldfish or the shorter fatter twin tailed type?

Common Goldies, to grow and be healthy need masses of water to swim in. 15 gallon per fish your size. The other slower type need at your size 10 gallons each. Filtration should be 10 times the tank capacity so if its a 10 gallon then a filter or filters that can turn over 100 galons per hour.