My Snail Grew, But His Trap Door Didn't?

~SHAWNA~

What do you feed him? Maybe there could be an insufficiency of something in his diet? I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the trapdoor of snails is made of protein while the shell is made of calcium....I think :hmm

Maybe his body is just swollen, making it seem like his trapdoor is too small. Sometimes their body's swell when there are water issues. Even the slightest problems with water params can cause problems sometimes. If you do think he may be swollen, even if only a little bit, take him out of the water for a little while. What I do is put them in a bowl and set them on a cool surface for awhile. I'd get something out of the freezer like a bag of veggies and set it on the counter for couple of minutes to make a cool area. Then put the snail in a bowl/container and set it on that cool area. Leave him out for about 10-15 minutes. Hopefully he'll slime around in the bowl so his foot gets to actually touch the cool areas. If you haven't already done it, check the params for nitrites, ammonia and nitrates.

Shawna, my snail is experiencing the exact same problem.

Heather, I tried out your suggestion so hopefully it may go down a bit.

I have posted the problem on Applesnail.net and will let you know if they come up with anymore suggestions.

My water params are all fine and he's definitely being fed properly. He has his own feeding dish to ensure he is receiving a balanced diet. I'll post back soon. X

Still no improvement with my snail, he's still swollen.

My water readings seem fine, Ammonia and Nitrites are zero, PH 8, Nitrates 30, Temp 20 degrees Cel.

Any more suggestions?

How is yours Shawna?

Hes still swollen. I dont know, I still say he looks like his trap door didn't grow as its smaller then my other snailys that are similar in size, but I cant be positive. Ive did the "cool counter" thing, and nothing. All my other snailys and the babies I have left in that tank are doing great. Just this blue guy looks unwell.

Mine was showing no signs of improvement either. Then, one of my goldfish became unwell so I had to salt the tank. Ulla went into a small spare plastic tank that I have. I had to do 100% water changes everyday because it has no flitration.

Now he's back to normal. Even though my tests all showed my main tank water to be fine, the slightly raised Nitrates must have been affecting him.

He'll be going back into the main tank tomorrow after it's clear of the salt and hopefuly he won't swell up again. I was really concerned about him. He was bulging out of the door and now he's able to close the door fully again...hurray!

Poor blue snaily, I hope he shrinks soon!

Keep me posted and I'll certainly let you know if mine explodes again!

I have found that any time that your params are even slightly off,your snails will be the first to tell you. Some of my snails do not tolerate any Nitrates over 20. Weird how it effects some and not the other's,but then again,they all didn't come from the same place either. :)