Narcoleptic Goldfish

Carole

I was wondering if anyone else's goldfish do this...

My goldie, bubbles, will be swimming around doing normal fishy stuff and just out of the blue he falls asleep and drifts lifelessly in the water. He will sleep for a few minutes until something wakes him, he will investigate it, and then go back to sleep, and this pattern will continue day and night. It seem he spends more time sleeping than not sleeping. :blink: Also, his favorite way to sleep seems to be drifting near the surface of the water while gazing at his reflection in the wall of the tank. I was concerned at first, but he wakes up and is perky during feeding times so I don't think he is sick. I always thought this constant sleeping behavior was strange. My other goldfish, sylvester, who lives in the same tank, has more normal habits. He sleeps at night and is awake all day.

Does anyone else's fish do this?

As I dont think its normal behaviour I have moved your post into here. Could you answer as many of the questions in the above red box so we can try and see if theres any clue as to why your fish is doing this. :)

* Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 0

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? pH 7.8

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.8

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gals, 5 months

* What is the name and size of the filter/s? Topfin 20 power filter, <200 gal/hour

* How often do you change the water and how much? every two weeks, 40%

# How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish both <3in

# What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime Conditioner

# Any medications added to the tank? No

# Add any new fish to the tank? No

# What do you feed your fish? Flakes, omega one, green veggies, occasional high protein table scraps

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

# Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Just the floating and sleeping, and the seeming hypnotism caused by the wall of my tank. But when he is not acting strange he acts very normal (does that make sense?). He responds very well to my face and to food and he does still swim around normally when he is awake. There are no signs of a sick fish like heavy breathing or being lethargic.

You have no nitrates from the tank which is surprising as it should be cycled. Is the filter the same age as the tank? How do you clean out the filter media?

As for the fish then i havent a clue as to why he is acting like that, maybe its just how he is.

he doesnt scratch or twitch either then?

He twitches sometimes like he is having fishy dreams. Sometimes he drifts a little and moves to go back to his sleeping spot.

The filter media is the same age as the tank, but I was just thinking that I should replace it. It has built up a lot of gunk. I usually swish it around in old tank water to clean it a little but it is becoming increasingly gunky. It has constricted the flow of the water through the filter quite a bit now. So I was going to replace it.

I thought it was strange that I had no nitrates. I went through the entire cycle process and had a few nitrates at the end but none since then. I have had a healthy population of plants, brown algae, and just recently green algae. I made sure I was following the directions for the nitrate exactly and it was still zero.

Weird huh?

I'm still not happy with the fishes behaviour. if its twitching then it suggests something wrong with the water or it might have a parasite. Is the other not doing the same twitching at all?

Add an airstone in case its not getting enough oxygen and maybe up the water changes to 40% twice a week to see if that helps.

As for the filter you need to really squeeze the sponge until all the rubbish comes out and it might take a couple of buckets of water to clean it thoroughly.

Have a check of the nitrate level from your tap as you might not have any there. Could you run through the time scale of your cycle please.

Archived