Hikari Bio Pure Multi-vitamin Enriched Fd Daphnia

balashark

anyone ever heard of this stuff. i got it as a treat for both my tropicals and goldies, from what's on the label it sounds great. but i open the can and to my surprise, it's not little freeze-dried things, it looks more like finely crumbled flake, almost to dust.

well, i put a few shakes in each aquarium, and i was called away (i always watch my fish eat) and when i came back it was all gone. so i assume they like it, or it got sucked up in the filter. guess i'll have to give em more tomorrow and see.

i'm used to seein my fish eat at pellets, flakes, brine shrimp, bloodworms, and veggies; anyone know if they really eat this stuff? oh, and what exactly is daphnia? (save myself from actually having to go and look it up) :)

Hi, Daphnia are water fleas. My goldies love them as Tetre Fresh Delica gel, although it does turn there poo slightly blue!

They are very nutritious and are probably added to your flake stuff to up the protein content. Never heard of the flakes you have in England.

Sometimes flakes can get washed away by the filter curent before the fish get a chance. Generally speaking I don't really like flakes or very fine food, I'm never sure if I'm feeding the fish or just the filter directly!

You could try them again with a feeding ring or similar device. I hear Hikaria are a very good quality brand so I'm sure they are well thought out.

I had just logged in to ask about "Daphnia" and here you are talking about it!! I bought a little tub over the Xmas when I went home to Ireland. It said great things about it on the stand so I thought I'd give it a go. However, no matter how long I soak it for it will not sink. The fish don't seem to be able to see it so I ended up taking it back out of the water after an hour. Don't think I'll use it again. My one is "Supa, Daphnia". Interesting to know that they are water fleas though.

Hi, my goldies just will not eat anything freeze dried at all even if I soak it, it just floats there before getting caught up in the filter current and washed away or "fished" out by me!!! Sometimes they try it and then spit it out, fussy boys they are. You could try "fresh" Daphnia, either frozen or in the gel like I use. My fish go mad for it.

well, i tried it again the other day; just a little sprinkle to see what happened. they ignored it for a little but once one of the platys took notice to it, they all swam up to the top and started gobbling it up.

i'm still used to seeing them have to chew their food, so to speak; but very little went into the filter. and the "feeding frenzy" lasted under a minute.

so it's a hit in my aquariums. the goldies liked it too. haven't tried it on jen's betta yet, he's real picky. figured i'd wait til this weekend so if he doesn't touch it i can get it right away w/ a water change.

thanks for the info! waterfleas?!?! :) who'd 've guessed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived