Quarantine Question

euphrates

Is it possible or necessary to quarantine snails before putting them in a new tank? Does anyone know if they can pass diseases to goldfish?

I am thinking about putting some in with Euphrates because the algae in his tank grows rapidly, plus I think snails are neat.

I also thought about getting a pleco to put in, I would need to quarantine that one for sure right?

It has been a while since I have added anything to my tank. When I put plecos and snails in the first time, I don't remember keeping them in separate tanks first. But I thought I would pose this question to see what some of you fish experts think! :)

Hi there. :)

ALL living things pose a chance of infecting an otherwise healthy tank with parasites, bacteria or viral infections. There are no exceptions.

Quarentineing a snail does not garauntee that you wont contaminate your tank. Since snails aren't succeptable to all the same stuff that fish are, they won't show you any symptoms to warn you of impending infections. But, they can and easily do harbor nasties that CAN infect your fish. So, adding a snail to your healthy tank will be a gamble.

Plecos are also an enigma in that they aren't AS succeptable to infecitons as goldfish. Since they are well armored with hard plates and tough scales, it takes a pretty sinister parasite to infect them to the point that they show symptoms.

The best way to gaurd yourself from contaminating your healthy goldfish is to purchase and familiarize yourself with a microscope. I know its an expensive investment but it is the only way to know for sure.

It is for the reasons stated above that it is not suggestable for a newbie to attemt to mix tropicals and other aquatic life with their goldfish. But, others have done so without so much as a hitch. It all comes down to an old quote that Dirty Harry says in the movies, "do ya feel lucky?" .... I kow this isn't what you wanted to hear but it is the plain truth. So, proceed with caution. ;)

Paul

Archived