Night Life

mailboxck

I've noticed in the past few days that my fish would huddle to one corner of the tank when I have the lights turned on but they'd swim around like normal when I turn it off. Is there something wrong? Or does my fish just like it better dark?

dont worry the exact same thing happens to me, every time i turn on the lights in the tank when i wake up they scramble all around the place and find a corner to hide in, after a bit though they relax. I think its just very sudden and they are kind of scared. did you just put them in that tank, or just put lights in it?

Try turning on a room light, first. That way the light can slowly come to them. Only after a bit, turn the tank lights on.

A goldfish will typically sleep in the dark - resting quietly at the bottom or anchored under a plant. They swim happily in the light. Light, is actually, a very valuable thing - it keeps the colors bright, encourages robust growth and makes your tank a thing of beauty you enjoy caring for.

Perhaps if you tied the lights with a pleasureable happening - such as - when the lights turn on they know they will be fed. This will connect lights with food. Food is always a good thing.

• Supporter

Mine are the same way as well. When the tank lights are on they all huddle under the filter and stop swimming around.

Their previous owner did not have lights on their tank, so I think they never got used to them. I have tried the gradual approach where I start with a lamp, then the room light, then the tank lights, talking to them first, but they still seem to really hate it. I have been trying for two months. Their tank is too small, so I have decieded to just give up for now and try again once they are settled in their new, bigger home and they are *hopefully* less stressed. :-)

Here is the link to the post i made about it where I got a few suggestions: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...17entry445617

Fish coming in from an outdoor pond - or from fish that are kept in green water tubs have this same problem of skittishness at first. They are not used to being seen and seeing from the sides of a clear tank.

It takes time and consistancy to get them used to it.

:)

Archived