Help

Guest princess in a ceramic castle

Hi. I just got a goldfish 2 days ago. He came from a kind of sick looking tank, but he looked okay. He is in a 1 gallon bowl and is pretty active. He looks like his tail may be fraying and his skin is peeling. I have softend tap water and I wasn't sure if this could be part of it. If anyone knows anything, please let me know. thank you.

My dad says its a fungus, it looks like fuzzy stuff all over his tail and body. Please someone tell me what to do, I don't want him to die.

A 1 gal bowl isn't nearly enough space for a goldfish, hun. Depending on what type of goldie you have, you're going to need 10-20 gal tank. Fancy goldies need at least 10 gal, common/comets need 15-20 gal.

For now, if I were you, I would go out and buy a cheapie rubbermaid bin/tote, like a 5 gal, throw an aerator in there, and treat him with some fungus clear. Main thing is to keep the water pristine, so that he can get healthy. You'll want to watch the ammonia and nitrites in the water to make sure the water's not toxic. An easy 5-in-1 strip testing kit would be good and easy enough. Post back and let us know how he's doing.

I answered your other post in the Emergency section. I would be concerned about the softened tap water. It could be that the ph is too low. If you can use water before it goes through the softener, that would be the best. Also, a good conditioner such as Prime or Amquel + would be helpful.

The others have mentioned that you need a larger container for your fish, and that would make all the difference for its health.

How is your fish doing today?