Wow!

chellekins27

That first one is gorgeous, but I'm worried that it's sick. The top of the tail seems "thicker" and has a strange opaque white/peach color to it. The tail fin on one of my koi became permanently discolord due to the ulcer he had at the base of his tail. But man, do I want fish like that.

Eventually I want to try breeding butterfly koi to some standard in regards to the finnage. Broad pectorals, rather than triangular, that reach past the second pair of fins and preferrably to the anal fins, secondary fins that reach to the tail, and a tail that is at least half the length of the fish's body (tail not included in that). I think this would make for some truly stunning fish, especially if I can keep the pectorals broad and shaped like a normal koi, only much longer and also work on the fraying issues. Color would be very secondary to the fins at first.

Man that will be so much fun! So many plans for my future!

• 2 weeks later...

Shiari, I think thats an amazing idea. Keep me updated on your progress there! I think youre on to something. Ive never been too excited about the butterfly koi that Ive seen. I agree that the pecs are too thin and youre definitely right on about the fraying. I would like to see them looking more like nice comet goldfish. Anyway Im sure it will be awhile but Im really excited! I wish I had the space and money to get into breeding fish. :)

Archived