Sign in to follow this  
nick11380

Fair Goldfish

I went to a pet store owned by a nice older couple last week. I don't go their much because their 45 miles away. But their tanks are aways healthy. They like to talk and I was there to look at their goldfish so we starting talking about goldfish.

While we were talking they told me that they donate a lot of goldfish to the fairs and they do it for the kids and stuff. Of couse that sounds terrible seeing how those poor fish are kept in those tiny little bowls. But I didn't judge and I let them tell me about it.

What they do is really a good idea. They donate the goldfish to the fairs but they don't give them the fish. When the people go to the fair and win a fish. They don't get the fish there. They get a gift certificate for a free goldfish and have to go to the pet store and get it. They also get to pick the fish they want.

well......if you think about it, those fish were MEANT to be nutrtion for a much larger fish, so in a way I think its ok. Either their fate stays the same and they die (either from a large fish or a neglectful kid), or they have a chance at living a wonderful life with someone who will take care of them.

EDIT: I think its a good idea to let the kids come to the store to get it, that way fishy isnt being banged around or carried in a bag too long at the fair. I think it is ok. It gives the fish a chance at life that they otherwise may not have had at all....even if it is a bowl.

Edited by gia_ekdahl

The pet store is also a few miles out of town and on the highway so the parents will have to drive the kids there. The parents would also have the option to say their not getting a fish. Or they could get a tank ready for the fish before getting it. The pet store could also give them some education on how to care for the fish.

All of which is better than a kid coming home with a fish and then trying to figure out what to do with it.

Well,I'm still not crazy about the "Free Goldfish" to begin with,but at least this way,being that your mom & pop store is a good one,they'll at least get some sort of guidance out of it. Maybe the parents will hear what they should hear and have two options.1) To either spend the money on a decent sized tank,or 2) Say Nevermind,we don't want that "Free fish". The Coupon way at least lets you know that the poor fish isn't sitting out in a cup the size of a Dixie Cup getting hit with plastic bouncing golfballs. :crp That itself is a good thing.

I still dont think its a good idea at all, sorry to disagree.

If they just didnt give them away at all, there wouldnt be as many kids keeeping them in bowls. You know what kids are like, once someone tells them they can have something (like a coupon from a fair) they wont stop till they get it. Even if they dont really want it.

If that kid really wanted a goldfish he/she would go out to the store and buy it themselves.

you know, my first goldfish was from the fair. I had never thought about goldfish before that. I LOVED Herman, and now look at me. I have 14 goldfish, lol.

I never wanted the fish before I had it, but it turned me on to something new. I just hope that when the kid gets to the pet store, they tell the people the PROPER way to care for them.

EDIT: oops....13 fish....I forgot :cry1 (aww Nugget...)

Edited by gia_ekdahl

If it wasn't for the free fish at the fair, I never would have found Koko's and started my hobby of fishkeeping LOL. Kind of an ironic twist.

Jessica

I remember winning fish when i was a kid and keeping them in a bowl but I didnt know any better. But I remember I was always sad when they died, I really wanted to take care of them, and I never got one ever again, but I've always wanted a big tank full of fish! :)

i think thats a good idea, at least they are trying to give the goldfish a good home, granted though there's not much you can do for al those parents who just give their spoiled kids a goldfish bowl full of fish and dont even bother to feed them or change their water its just something pretty for them to look at :\

Fact is, those fish are feeder fish and 99.9% of them were doomed anyway either by being eaten or poor care in the store. So, it isn't like these are fish that were going to have a happy 10 year life.

Personally, the fair thing, well, many kids don't even think about getting a fish or have not been introduced to keeping fish and this opens up opportunities for them to learn and see. We all make mistakes and I bet most of us here brought home a fish at one time or another and did not really know what we were doing, nor really intended on spending the money to do it.....and I am sure many of us accidently killed a fish or two.

I have seen many a huge smiles from little kids getting their first thing to take care of and I personally know two huge fish guys who got their start from a friend gving one a goldfish as a kid and another getting one at the fair.

I have mixed feelings about the coupon. I do not like being told my kid has something for free and then has to buy a ton of stuff to care for it, but at the same time, for the willing & financially feasible parents, it might turn into a greater hobby. I personally; as a kid would have a bigger heartbreak if I won the coupon and then went to the store to get it and found out my mom could not afford everything we are told to buy....that isn't exactly fair either....IMO

I remember something like that when I was in Grade school. The local fish store did that for the annual schools out fair. I won like 3 goldfish. I got to go and pick them out too. It was a lot of fun. Then the tank heater got turned up and they all died. I know this because I was the one who found them, and the tank was so hot I could barely touch it.

I was 7 years old so I dont remember much except a pure white one and burying them in the back yard. They had a big tank too, in the livingroom basement. My mom taught me how to take care of them and I watched them for hours. Im the kind of geek that talks to her animals and Im proud to say that EACH one of them knew what was going on with me at school that day :)

I still talk to my fish now... and he will never tell anyone.

Edited by Kasper

you know, my first goldfish was from the fair. I had never thought about goldfish before that.

Same here. I never wanted a fish because I thought it would be too much trouble, but when my foster son brought one home from the fair I fell in love with him and I still have that fish and more.

But, I don't really agree with giving away animals of any kind at the fair. I do think the coupon idea is much better though, especially if the pet store owners will do a little educating on the needs of the goldfish when they come in to redeem their coupon.

I see it from a marketing angle. The people that own the shop are the winners here. Buy your tanks etc and get your goldfish for free. Simple but effective, as the people who win the fish will probably buy the equipment from the shop giving away the fish.

Fact is, those fish are feeder fish and 99.9% of them were doomed anyway either by being eaten or poor care in the store. So, it isn't like these are fish that were going to have a happy 10 year life.

453251[/snapback]

Yes most of them would die, and most of them still will die from being put in bowls, but dont you think its ten times more humane to have a quick death and give a bigger fish dinner than be rotting away in a stinky bowl in a kids room.

453251[/snapback]

Yes most of them would die, and most of them still will die from being put in bowls, but dont you think its ten times more humane to have a quick death and give a bigger fish dinner than be rotting away in a stinky bowl in a kids room.

453493[/snapback]

I think it is equally bad to rot away in a feeder tank or the buyer's poor care because they are feeders or with anyone buying a fish that does not know the care or expense. Same differences.

they cant be in those feeder tanks for long though, no more than a week or two right? whereas a fish kept in a bowl can struggle along for months..

QUOTE(x-Lucy-Fish-x @ Jan 5 2006, 06:20 AM)

QUOTE(Persimmon @ Jan 4 2006, 11:47 PM)

I think it is equally bad to rot away in a feeder tank or the buyer's poor care because they are feeders or with anyone buying a fish that does not know the care or expense. Same differences.

The point is, at least the fish, otherwised doomed, will at least have a CHANCE at a happy life.

So, Miss Lucyfish, is it better that 100% of them die a fast death? Or is it worth that little chance that some of them may find a good home? :hmm;)

I know my "feeders" love me for taking the chance! Keep in mind I knew nothing about fish when I got my feeders! And they are pretty happy in the 55 gallon today! :D

Edited by gia_ekdahl

Aw, hun. I didnt mean that in a bad way. :cry1

my point is yes, i think its better that 100% of them die a fast death than have the giving away of goldfish at fairs thing encouraged.

I agree the coupon thing is better than just giving the fish.. but its still not good enough, they just need to not give the fish, and have the 'feeders' as feeders and a few still get rescued by people like us and people who actually want them, like if a kid has thought about it beforehand etc.

So no i dont think it is worth that little chance, like having maybe 20% of them getting healthy homes for the lives of the other 80%.. not exactly fair is it. ...lol fairs should be fair!

yeah...you know that is true too.

I have to admit I killed my first fair goldfish...although I loved him very much, I was not prepared to house a fish. You are right....fairs should not give out a living creature as a prize.

Herman lived in a little pickle jar. I was 13 years old. He kept gasping at the surface and silly me I thought he was hungry so I kept tossing in food. I honestly didnt know what was wrong, but I was heartbroken when he died. Next time I got goldfish, I got a red cap oranda and a orange and white fantail. I had them in a 20 gallon with a filter an airation, although I still didnt know as much as I do now. THey lived for 3 years.

Im just glad I found this place....and Im glad that so many other newbies have found this too. I wish Id found this when I had Herman.

So many people have got their first fish from the fair and started a lifelong hobby. In Japan the fish are not only feeders. My son brought home our very first fish some years ago in a bag from the fair. It was a baby black moor, really tiny and all eyes. There were other exotic baby fish in there with the feeders too. I didn't go to the fair, he went with a friend. I am sure you know but here the fish are caught with a paper (yes)net :( and if your paper doesn't disintegrate you get to keep the fish you net. It's a speed thing. Not nice any way you look at it but.

I was so surprised and thrilled to meet Velvet and he had a good happy life with us for some years and certainly started my interest in gf. :clapping:

Hey guys, let's keep in mind that discussions on animal cruelty are a big "no no" here, and try to keep this thread civil. Gia and Lucy, thank you for making amends and not getting heated! I've seen this exact same topic turn into an ugly situation, so let's all take a big breath and *think about what we're about to type* before we type it. ;)

Three of my guys were feeder fish rescues from a local nnnnnn. I originaly bought 6 tiny fish (from a very crowded tank) to get my tank started. Nearly 3 years later, I still have 3. One is nearly 7in with a nice orange and white color. Another you could almost call a comet, but his tailfin is more rounded instead of forked. The other is a light orange with black on his upper lip, dorsal and tail fin edges. I often think that if I hadn't bought my guys, they would have either died in the tank or been food for a larger fish. I sure bet they're happy with where they are.